E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > US Air Intake Mod (EURO MOD) Pics Inside.

04-12-2018, 05:37 PM   #243
kanuckstuff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Sprt Pkg 6MT Blk/Cor

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosphericM View Post
In all seriousness, for someone who has expensive mods such as AA headers and a 3IM, why do this!?!? Ladies, the panel filter is more than adequate. A cone filter does nothing more! Has anyone in this thread even actually measured the surface area of the cone vs. the stock panel style?

Anyone who does this cone filter mod and claims to have an increase in power is either lying or needs to have their butt re-calibrated. I'm not an aerodynamics scientist, but I would honestly put money down on a car with the panel filter making more power than the cone because I feel that a cone in this airbox is creating some wild turbulence not present with the panel filter.

Finally, SPECTRE filter. Need I say more?? Apparently. Haven't seen them used in any flow tests myself but I doubt they perform spectacularly. Stick with something proven such as MAHLE, K&N, aFe, etc. If your 'performance parts' come from the rice section of Autozone, I doubt they're going to do much good.

I hate to be blunt, but with more and more younger people being able to afford these BMWs (not saying that's anyone here in particular), I bet more and more people will be wanting to do this mod. This post is my PSA: DON'T DO IT! Buy a silicone intake elbow, a new panel filter if you must (though it won't make any difference in power), cut out the charcoal filter, and if you really want to get your hands dirty, do the PROVEN "CAI" mod based off the Dinan system.

kanuckstuff: I'm sorry if this feels aimed at you in particular, because it really isn't. I'm being harsh so that hopefully others won't go down your path and basically ruin their stock airbox for nothing.
After doing this mod I definitely agree with you. The cone filter hurt performance and I hated the droning. Like I said I put it back to stock (except the silicone intake boot) and it's much better.

As for why do this if I have expensive mods... why not? If the sound and performance was better as SO MANY people claimed in this thread, why wouldn't I add some engine noise and power before my tune? It was inexpensive and I like tinkering on my car. I don't limit myself to only expensive mods. That being said, everybody was wrong and this mod is bad, hindsight 20/20 wouldn't do it again.

The reason I went with spectre... is because that's what people in this thread used. They said it worked and that it fit, and neither was true.

Also, it does feel aimed at me, but that's ok I wanted someone to respond and affirm my feelings or tell me if I did something wrong. And I wouldn't say my airbox is ruined, it's got a kydex patch on the front and some electrical tape on the holes in the back but it functions like stock
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 05:55 PM   #244
kanuckstuff
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PORTMOODY View Post
how did you make that patch fit the airbox so perfectly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosphericM View Post
Looks like Kydex. Widely used by guys to create gun holsters, the material can be formed and then hardens to be very strong and durable. Surely he also used some sealant as well around the edges.
Yup. It's a thermoplastic, somewhere around 300 °F it becomes soft and limp, easily formable. Press it against your hole/cone and wait for it to cool. After it holds its shape you can heat up different spots to work any places that you missed on the first go. Trim it down, sand up the edges, get the bolts in, apply sealant and bolt it down.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 07:01 PM   #245
PORTMOODY
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Coal Roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuckstuff View Post
Yup. It's a thermoplastic, somewhere around 300 °F it becomes soft and limp, easily formable. Press it against your hole/cone and wait for it to cool. After it holds its shape you can heat up different spots to work any places that you missed on the first go. Trim it down, sand up the edges, get the bolts in, apply sealant and bolt it down.
Nice, this would work really well for an idea I have.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 07:06 PM   #246
atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT ///M

Garage List
Haha, sorry again mate. It was early and I hadn't had my coffee yet so I was probably a little more ornery than I should have been.

I feel you re: liking to tinker. It's just that it seems someone asks about intake mods once a week in this forum so the topic has been addressed over and over again. I'm not sure how it is in the 1er forums but a few recent intake thread glances here and surely one would know the appropriate ways to go. Too bad threads like these still exist from the dark ages when I guess folks didn't really know what was good.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 07:59 PM   #247
kanuckstuff
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Nice, this would work really well for an idea I have.
care to share?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 09:18 PM   #248
PORTMOODY
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuckstuff View Post
care to share?
I don't know what it is but it seems whenever I start talking about something im working on it goes totally sideways. My recent experience with nearly junking my head has my butthole tight. Im going to stay hush in hopes of not grenading my car by talking about my air filter plans.
Appreciate 1
      07-03-2018, 05:50 AM   #249
h3ll
Rep
Drives: e91 07 6mt xdrive

this is something I'm trying out for now... waiting to get the K&N & will probably del charcoal filter

so far sounds good & breathes better low end... need to road it some more etc....
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 02:55 PM   #250
markslc1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M, 14 X5 x35i

subscribed. Interested in the open airbox experiment above. Details on the cuts and outcome. power/sound/intake temps
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 09:33 AM   #251
CTrink
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Attached is my current DinanIY (Do It Yourself Dinan) intake setup. Yes, I sacrificed the beloved fog light for airflow. Currently (as we speak installing the silicone intake tube from Turner. I'm interested in opinions on whether the cone or my K&N could potentially be more beneficial. I already happen to have two cone mounts. This would be quick for me after I chose a cone filter. Although; would it be beneficial?
Attached Images

10-11-2018, 01:41 PM   #252
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Is that a straight hose from the foglight opening into the airbox?

Don't drive through any deep puddles.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 11:59 PM   #253
PORTMOODY
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post

Doesn't air take the path of least resistance and thus the snorkel in the grills would pull air instead of the fog light? The M3 uses a similar air intake set up with air coming from the same location as this mod. Haven't heard of M3 drivers being told to not drive in deep puddles.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 05:11 AM   #254
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

It's nothing unusual. My 2008 Honda Fit had a similar intake point down low in front, meant to act as a CAI, stock from the factory. The difference is that there was a space for the water to "fall out" of the intake stream before it reached the engine. A straight hose connection doesn't allow that and can possibly result in the engine ingesting water. Which will not end well.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 08:34 AM   #255
CTrink
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:

This is the Dinan intake. Just a different inlet location which is 4 inches to the right (from the front of the car), and a cm higher actually, than the Dinan grille location. Still flows through a K&N drop in in the stock air box.

Also; I have never driven through a 10+" deep body of water in my car. It would need to be 13+" in order to fully submerse the inlet.
      10-14-2018, 08:36 AM   #256
CTrink
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Doesn't air take the path of least resistance and thus the snorkel in the grills would pull air instead of the fog light? The M3 uses a similar air intake set up with air coming from the same location as this mod. Haven't heard of M3 drivers being told to not drive in deep puddles.
I would believe so. Also keep in mind air is not only being devoured from one location. We're forgetting the kidney inlets. Take a slot out of a straw and try to drink water.
      10-16-2018, 10:46 AM   #257
Caffeine Powered
Keep it moving
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328xi

Has anyone bothered to do a before and after on a dyno? It was mentioned in the beginning of the thread. It would be sad if the result of the work was less power and torque.

Hell, the right sticker is worth +5 hp.
      10-21-2018, 05:32 PM   #258
CTrink
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered View Post
Has anyone bothered to do a before and after on a dyno? It was mentioned in the beginning of the thread. It would be sad if the result of the work was less power and torque.

Hell, the right sticker is worth +5 hp.
He's right, what's the proof in this mod? It's back and fourth.
      10-24-2022, 11:31 AM   #259
aexlm
BMW Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e90 328i pre LCI

Hello, guys! I did the mod on the weekend. I also deleted the intake resonator.

The car feels great and sounds definitely better I hate quiet cars, hahaha.

The only problem is that now the car has 2 codes, it looks like it's running lean. Any clues? Maybe the filter is too restrictive?
Attached Images

Last edited by aexlm; 11-07-2022 at 08:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 09:08 AM   #260
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aexlm View Post
Hello, guys! I did the mod on the weekend. I also deleted the intake resonator.

The car feels great and sounds definitely better I hate quiet cars, hahaha.

The only problem is that now the car has 2 codes, it looks like it's running lean. Any clues? Maybe the filter is too restrictive?
Check that you got the hose clamps on the inlet tube tight enough, a lean condition would be caused by a leak after the MAF.
      11-07-2022, 08:52 AM   #261
aexlm
BMW Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e90 328i pre LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
Check that you got the hose clamps on the inlet tube tight enough, a lean condition would be caused by a leak after the MAF.
Thanks Chris. i ended up buying a k&n filter and the problem went away it seems that the filter I had first was to restrictive.
Appreciate 0