E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Andream Carplay Installation

06-08-2020, 11:50 AM   #1
Steve328i
Commander, USN (ret)
Rep
Drives: 11 335i, Black sapphire

Andream Carplay Installation

Purchased an Andream Carplay for my '11 335i vert with Nav and 8.8" screen. No instructions were included and no vendor customer support messages were ever replied to.

After watching various installations online, could not find anything directly on point, so after finishing the job by trial and error, I prepared the attached "cheat sheet" for anyone else who may want to consider an Andream.

You have to move over two MOST connections from the car's black quadlock connector at the rear of the Navi hard drive unit to the Andream's quadlock connector. You also need to have a capacitor/rectifier (I am not an engineer, so unsure of proper description) installed inline between the car's tail light reverse signal wire and the backup camera. This is needed because BMW uses a PWM to modulate the signal to the tail lights to ensure no bulbs are out, and the modulation causes the power to cycle "on" and "off" very quickly that can cause the camera image to flutter.

Once wired-up, when the car goes into "R," the reverse signal sent to the tail lights is routed to power-up the camera, which then sends the video signal. The reverse signal is sent to the Andream via the red wires that run along with the yellow video cable. The red reverse signal wire is connected to the purple "Reverse" wire on the Andream. The reverse signal tells the Andream to switch over to display the backup camera image. When the car goes out of "R," the reverse signal stops and the Andream switches back to Carplay.

The Carplay and backup camera work great, but the audio quality of the telephone feature is not so hot. But, you can always switch back to the car's Menu and use the car's Bluetooth for calls.

Hope this helps someone out.

Last edited by Steve328i; 08-30-2020 at 03:16 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2020, 02:39 AM   #2
alexnaoumov
Rep
Drives: 118i E81

Are your steering wheel buttons working? There is a lack of information about the CIC version sadly. My car gives canbus errors in ISTA with the Andream box connected and steering wheel buttons won't wrong. No idea what I'm doing wrong. I did not connect my iDrive controller because it worked out of the box, does that have something to do with the CAN errors and steeringwheel buttons not working?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 11:49 AM   #3
eljay
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M + E91

Thanks for sharing.
May I ask where you bought your unit and which one is it?
I am looking at Kremersino units. It sounds like this one is based on it, correct? But the new Kremersino units should have better audio, so I'm concerned about your audio quality experience comment.
Also, I though the interface gets its reverse signal from the car and the reverse wire is not necessary. Or am I thinking about a different unit then?

Also, is it possible to output video like YouTube to an external monitor? I am hoping to add a TV for the kiddo in the rear down the road.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 10:23 AM   #4
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve328i View Post
Purchased an Andream Carplay for my '11 335i vert with Nav and 8.8" screen. No instructions were included and no vendor customer support messages were ever replied to.

After watching various installations online, could not find anything directly on point, so after finishing the job by trial and error, I prepared the attached "cheat sheet" for anyone else who may want to consider an Andream.

You have to move over two MOST connections from the car's black quadlock connector at the rear of the Navi hard drive unit to the Andream's quadlock connector. You also need to have a capacitor/rectifier (I am not an engineer, so unsure of proper description) installed inline between the car's tail light reverse signal wire and the backup camera. This is needed because BMW uses a PWM to modulate the signal to the tail lights to ensure no bulbs are out, and the modulation causes the power to cycle "on" and "off" very quickly that can cause the camera image to flutter.

Once wired-up, when the car goes into "R," the reverse signal sent to the tail lights is routed to power-up the camera, which then sends the video signal. The reverse signal is sent to the Andream via the red wires that run along with the yellow video cable. The red reverse signal wire is connected to the purple "Reverse" wire on the Andream. The reverse signal tells the Andream to switch over to display the backup camera image. When the car goes out of "R," the reverse signal stops and the Andream switches back to Carplay.

The Carplay and backup camera work great, but the audio quality of the telephone feature is not so hot. But, you can always switch back to the car's Menu and use the car's Bluetooth for calls.

I finally got to install the camera and find that you removed pictures showing how. Noo..... Can you repost them please?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 10:27 AM   #5
osaravoo
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Installation vidya for those asking.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 01:28 PM   #6
Steve328i
Commander, USN (ret)
Rep

Installation

Here is my installation diagram.
Name:  Andream_install.jpg
Views: 8774
Size:  179.1 KB
      09-22-2020, 03:50 PM   #7
335MRod
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' 335i xdrive black

I just got my Andream MMI yesterday for my e92 w/ CIC.
I’ve connected everything, but keep getting the red screen when I push menu button.
I tried connecting the data wire for screen directly to MMI but no luck.
Any idea?
      10-29-2020, 08:06 AM   #8
TiAgAu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335MRod View Post
I just got my Andream MMI yesterday for my e92 w/ CIC.
I’ve connected everything, but keep getting the red screen when I push menu button.
I tried connecting the data wire for screen directly to MMI but no luck.
Any idea?
335MRod Get it sorted? Maybe same issue here? https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1768803
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 08:30 AM   #9
leeks
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i LCi

Steve328i hey, are you routing audio through the car's bluetooth?
The AUX in the car is known to be horrible and I'm trying ways to go around it but can't seem to get it to work.

Anyone who might have an idea please chime in:
1) have wireless android auto connected but
2) audio (music) and phone connected through bluetooth of the car

I did try but seems like they can't work at the same time for me. I would have music playing through bluetooth of the car. Turn on wireless Android Auto and everything goes silent. I've check the that "audio output" of the car remains on bluetooth. I even tried changing audio output on the phone the the "car" only but seems like I would lose track timing information but most of the track info would remain. (I don't know if what I just said make any sense)
Changing to AUX works.

335MRod did you manage to solve your issues? I had a red screen when I updated the MMI with an "bad" thumb drive. But usually, the system returns to normal after the car goes to deep sleep. You can also try to disconnect the battery and wait a few minutes before connecting it. But perhaps you have a faulty unit? any more details that you might be able to share?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 07:30 AM   #10
Steve328i
Commander, USN (ret)
Rep

My audio goes through the AUX port in the glovebox. I use Bluetooth to connect my iphone to the Andream.
      12-21-2020, 09:56 AM   #11
Corrado68
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E93 335i Convertible

Thanks for the video and the diagram!

I have a question for those who installed this unit in the past, like Steve328i : How is the Park Distance Control working if your backup camera is connected to the Android unit? Do you see the PDC colored zones on the same screen of the backup camera, or is the PDC only visible if you switch to the OEM screen view?

Thanks!
Corrado
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 04:15 PM   #12
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrado68 View Post
Thanks for the video and the diagram!

I have a question for those who installed this unit in the past, like Steve328i : How is the Park Distance Control working if your backup camera is connected to the Android unit? Do you see the PDC colored zones on the same screen of the backup camera, or is the PDC only visible if you switch to the OEM screen view?

Thanks!
Corrado
PDC is available on the MMI backup screen depending on your MMI settings. Similar to standard (backup cam + car graphic + PDC sensors) or full screen backup cam. Either or.
      03-15-2021, 04:53 PM   #13
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Has anyone also ordered and installed the backup camera from Andream? I got one and just went to install it, it fits too loosely in the trunk opening, to the point where I can easily pull it out and can see it falling out when driving.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 11:13 AM   #14
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

For anyone wondering, 1.2.5 firmware fixes Auto night mode in AA/Carplay.

It's available in the F30 forums, huge thread.
      12-19-2021, 11:33 AM   #15
casslakeone
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 X5

Anyone have the ANDREAM group discount code?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2022, 04:41 PM   #16
Spartanrob
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by casslakeone View Post
Anyone have the ANDREAM group discount code?
Did you ever find one?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2022, 06:51 AM   #17
Spartanrob
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

Were you able to use the OEM Mic? i've got a 2013 335i Vert and I don't want to have to tap into the mic in the steering column. Also, did you have to tap into the iDrive controller or did it go right thru the harness?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2022, 10:30 PM   #18
Spartanrob
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

Where can I find your cheat sheet?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2022, 06:33 AM   #19
Spartanrob
Enlisted Member
Rep

Sorry to revive this thread, but can't find your cheat sheet, can you repost or send? Also, is your OEM mic working? I had to install the andream mic.
Appreciate 0