E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > 2007 e92 what the hell is this and need help with head unit

09-25-2020, 01:40 AM   #1
tmo24
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i e92

2007 e92 what the hell is this and need help with head unit

Ok so I've owned 3 e90s since 2008 and I just picked up a 2007 e92. My kid is finally big enough to to crawl in the back seat on her own now so I finally get the e92 I've been wanting. Got a good deal but it has some issues and I have a few questions that I may break up into different posts. First, its non iDrive. It has BMW Professional and what I think is the Logic 7 system. It has tweeters and the amp in the back left of the trunk. So the radio lights turn on except for the main screen. No sound but it dings when I open the door etc. The knobs do nothing. I went to see if there was maybe a system installed and there was. I pulled out the cut ground wire and remote lead etc. they weren't connected to anything. Just cut and tucked. I checked all fuses in the glove box and they are all good. Again, red lights work but no main display and no sound no matter what I push. I unplugged the battery for a while to try to reset. Same thing. Has anyone else had this problem and had a successful fix? I have a 2007 e90 with the same factory radio and I'm thinking I can just swap to see if the head unit is bad.

Thanks for reading but there's more. What the hell is this on the picture? It seems like it has a Bluetooth module and the sos light comes on the dash as if something isn't working. There's also a black thing here that is plugged in but loose. Any idea what this is? Maybe it had satellite radio and it was pulled out? I can't believe that BMW would have this sliding around back here. It's under the carpet in the trunk directly behind the fold down seats.
Attached Images

2007 335i Jet Black e90 6MT - Eibachs, magnaflow exhaust, carbon hood, short shift kit, some other random stuff - being sold somewhere sometime soon probably

2010 335i AW e90 6 AT Msport - The GF took this one over... JB4, PE exhaust, Koni yellows/Eibachs, pink badges, fuzzy steering wheel cover ?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 03:24 PM   #2
richard_tricky
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 335d

The black thing in your hand is one of the comfort access antennas.

You shoukd have keyless start and door access on your car.

As for the radio.. You post doesn't really make sense.

What wires are cut? Where are they located exactly?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 09:38 PM   #3
tmo24
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard_tricky View Post

Thanks
Quote:

Thanks
Sorry I was kind of all over the place after a long night of checking things out. The aftermarket wires were cut. Meaning they left their ground and remote lead. They didn't disconnect. Just cut them for me to find and see where they led to. They were not connected to anything. But good news! I swapped my professional radio from my e90 into my e92 just to try to isolate and it worked fine. The fuse on the back of the bad one is good. I swapped just in case and still didn't work. So I'm guessing it's an internal board issue. I'll just get a used one off of eBay or sell the e90 with the disclaimer and knowledge that it's the head unit. Thank you

2007 335i Jet Black e90 6MT - Eibachs, magnaflow exhaust, carbon hood, short shift kit, some other random stuff - being sold somewhere sometime soon probably

2010 335i AW e90 6 AT Msport - The GF took this one over... JB4, PE exhaust, Koni yellows/Eibachs, pink badges, fuzzy steering wheel cover ?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 07:33 AM   #4
richard_tricky
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 335d

No problem.

The comfort acces antenna shoukd clip back into the boot floor.

I can take a picture if you like
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 07:49 PM   #5
tmo24
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No problem.

The comfort acces antenna shoukd clip back into the boot floor.

I can take a picture if you like
That would be great. Thank you

Appreciate 0