E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Post Your SULEV Warranty Success Stories

04-02-2018, 10:58 AM   #67
Brandon08_328
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

a) Had hard start problems followed by CEL, DSC, and BRAKE lights. Also had a high pitched whistle noise. Diagnosed to be crank position sensor was cause of hard start. PCV valve malfunction cause of whistle. Replaced crank position sensor, valve cover and valve cover gasket.

b) $0

c) SULEV warranty covered completely

d) No hard time, as a matter of fact they brought up the SULEV warranty!!!

e) Not one bit!

BMW of El Cajon was the dealership
Appreciate 5
Eagle1oh7285.50
MrSteak82.50
lab_rat394.50
Fritzer942.50
      05-02-2018, 10:25 PM   #68
cisf0rcalvin
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [8.50]
a. Changed my spark plugs over the weekend and I noticed oil seeping into one of the cylinders. Other dealer said only VCG covered if it involves check engine light but said I had a crack in the cover. Brought it to another dealer for an oil change and mentioned that and SULEV. SA said he would ask for me. Changed out the valve cover under SULEV.

b) 96 for the oil change

c) SULEV covered

d) No

e) No

Done at BMW of Henderson , car registered in CA
Add Ons: Charcoal Filter Delete, K&N Drop-in, Air Scoops, HID Angel Eyes, Splitters, M3 Lip Spoiler, Gloss Black Kidney Grills, Blackvue DR500-GW, M-Tech rear, BMW Performance Exhaust, M3 control arms, Bilstein HD
Appreciate 2
      05-02-2018, 10:34 PM   #69
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Good stuff guys... keep posting. Really good info for us high mileage SULEV owners!
      06-01-2018, 09:46 AM   #70
MrSteak
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 335i Coupe (6-speed)

Is there a consensus on whether or not the Valve Cover is covered on SULEV vehicles?

If the Valve Cover is leaking oil... Wouldn't that cause it to fail the "California Smog
Check test or EPA approved short test"?

I see some success here, and others posting that they had issues.
      06-01-2018, 12:23 PM   #71
Eric_M328i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i (Build)

Garage List
2023 BMW M340i  [9.05]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSteak View Post
Is there a consensus on whether or not the Valve Cover is covered on SULEV vehicles?

If the Valve Cover is leaking oil... Wouldn't that cause it to fail the "California Smog
Check test or EPA approved short test"?

I see some success here, and others posting that they had issues.
Valve covers not covered... I tried a whilee back and apparently only the VCG is which doesnt make sense at all.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 01:23 PM   #72
MrSteak
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 335i Coupe (6-speed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_M328i View Post
Valve covers not covered... I tried a whilee back and apparently only the VCG is which doesnt make sense at all.
Yup, just went to the dealership and tried to see if they would cover it.
  1. First I hit & , and read a few threads.
  2. THEN I called service at 'BMW of El Cajon' because Brandon08_328 mentioned them replacing his Valve Cover under SULEV. I think his name was Adrian, but the guy I spoke to from BMW of El Cajon was AMAZING! He knew his stuff, and said that while the Valve Cover isn't covered, that something inside it is (I forget the part). Basically, if this part is broken, then the Valve Cover gets replaced under SULEV... OR if the cracked Valve Cover is throwing a code, then it should be covered (mine was not). Again, I was impressed with this dealer and guy's customer service. I'm just some dude calling from across the country because a forum member's post...... AND they spent a good 10-15min checking it out, and walking me through the steps of how it can be covered. Awesome service from those guys.
  3. I called BMW NA to try and get an official word since some people seem to get their valve covers replaced under SULEV, and others don't. BMW NA is always nice, but the guy I spoke to said he knows nothing about cars or technical issues, and it's up to the dealer to interpret the warranty.

Basically, I pleaded my case with the service manager, and he gave me a discount on the valve cover; agreeing to put it on while they replace the VCG under SULEV. I get the dealer's point, but the whole thing is ridiculous, and based on the wording in the SULEV warranty, the valve cover should be covered. Maybe it's a reach, but for the failure rate of these things AND their own SULEV warranty.. There should be a class action lawsuit against BMW for this.
      06-03-2018, 06:01 AM   #73
Attym
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 328xi

2009 328 Xdrive

I’ve had a fuel pump and thermostat replaced under SULEV.

My dealership hasn’t given me an issue yet but I’ve only gone in when I was just about certain what the issue was and if it was covered. I always feel weird pulling into the dealership service bay with a 2009 and 90k.... I don’t belong there anymore.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 04:37 PM   #74
ajcorona
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 328xi 2007 328xi Coupe

Garage List
So the E90 is my wife's car. Mine are older BMW'S. I saw your thread on the SULEV warranty and wanted to add our recent experience. The car is a 2009 328xi with about 115,000. We reside in upstate NY and have to deal with state inspections annually. This car has been a challenge the last couple of years due to the radiator and the sensor. I made it a goal this year to deal with it early since she wants to keep the car for a while longer.

Last week I took it to Keeler BMW in Latham, NY and told them I wanted their time to pull the code and give me a diagnostic. I was very clear to the service adviser that I knew what was going on Radiator and the EAC Sensor. When the tech checked it and the SA came to get me he told me the radiator would be replaced per warranty for the SULEV engine. That the VCG would be replaced, along with the valvetronic sensor. The tech recommended changing the coolant hoses, which we did do. Along with the VC, it was cracked. Cheap plastic part.

Thought all was good. Until she told me yesterday that the car was stumbling. I drove it and it misfired on #6, but did not turn on the check light. I checked the OBD just for the heck of it. Waiting to call the dealer tomorrow and see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 12:00 PM   #75
lab_rat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is (#5 of 586)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon08_328 View Post
a) Had hard start problems followed by CEL, DSC, and BRAKE lights. Also had a high pitched whistle noise. Diagnosed to be crank position sensor was cause of hard start. PCV valve malfunction cause of whistle. Replaced crank position sensor, valve cover and valve cover gasket.

b) $0

c) SULEV warranty covered completely

d) No hard time, as a matter of fact they brought up the SULEV warranty!!!

e) Not one bit!

BMW of El Cajon was the dealership
This describes EXACTLY the issues that my daughter's E92 328i w/N51 is having (DSC/brake/CEL lights and high pitched whistle).

According to the Carly OBD reader, her car has the following codes:
2A94 (Crankshaft sensor signal)
29E0 (mixture control)
29E1 (mixture control 2)
581E (engine control unit error: engine speed)
5E1A (ECU/DSC speed signal invalid/coil outlet valve [dump] shorted rear left)

I dropped it off at my local BMW dealer this past Friday morning, and the initial call from the Service Advisor said it appears the CCV/PCV is bad, and replacement is going to be covered under the SULEV warranty. More to follow today after they finish completing the diagnosis.

By the way: my daughter's car was originally sold & registered in CA; we bought and drove it home to TX. Despite the fact the car is no longer in CA, it is covered under the SULEV warranty.

According to the SULEV warranty, it covers the "original and subsequent owners". Since the warranty has no specific reference to the location of subsequent owners and registration, the car is covered in the remaining '49 States'.

Hopefully my experience helps others who question the warranty coverage outside CA.
Appreciate 2
3002 tii2272.00
Fritzer942.50
      07-04-2018, 11:43 AM   #76
Michaelwaito
British Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: Man

Post Your SULEV Warranty Success Stories

Insane situation and pictures as I have never seen the new power plant cutup like that. Good to know warranty took care of everything Good job BMW AND dealership.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 02:12 PM   #77
B0ysiE90
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i (e90)

Fuel pump

2011 bmw 328xi Sulev
116,000 mileage

Got ignition coils at 111,000
Spark plugs at 111,000

Got an issue with fuel pump

i drove over at 40-50mph car starts to stumble or lose power then I'd wait 10 min to cool down and start engine. Pray that i don't stall again.

Uphill - car stalls and gives fuel pump warning

Even if car is parked/idle for a certain amount of time, fuel pump sign comes on and car turns off.
(Maybe certain temp, i don't know)

Park ave in NJ (Dealer) wants to do diag. If covered under warranty they'll waive the diag cost.

After reading people's stories I'm now confident that it will be covered.

Anyone have a similar situation?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 08:41 PM   #78
dboybord
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 328i Sedan

We'll see!

Bought my son a 2007 328i E90 N51 SULEV.
Current Mileage = 151,895 miles

Fuel pump or something in the fuel delivery system took a shit.
Took it to my local BMW Guru who quoted $2200 for new fuel pump & fuel tank.
Had it towed back home. Here it sits as I contemplate what to do.
My 1st attempt will be to warranty repair as it's 1,895 miles over (need luck).

Questions in the event I have to fix it.
1. Why was the shop requiring a new tank & fuel pump if only the pump is bad?
2. Is there a way to diagnose what is actually bad (control module, relay, filter)

Thanks for any info and I'll update as events occur...
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 07:25 AM   #79
m_thompson
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M-Sport 128i, 328xi, 3.0CS

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
1972 3.0CS  [10.00]
I looked on www.getbmwparts.com and the fuel tank $801.04 and fuel pump $273.32 are available separately. I believe that the fuel tank is plastic, so I don't know why it would need to be replaced. $1,000 for labor to replace both sounds a little high.
      11-27-2018, 08:02 AM   #80
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_M328i View Post
Seems to depend on the dealer.

My 2009 328i with the N51 and 35,000 miles cracked the valve cover.

I brought it to New Country in Hartford where they replaced the gasket, the cover, and performed the outstanding recalls on the car. They also cleaned the engine bay, replaced my coolant reservoir cap, and did a full inspection of the car.

All I paid was the cost for the second key I purchased/had programmed while I was there.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 11:39 AM   #81
Fritzer
No one sleep in Tokyo
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i//1995 E34 530i

130,000 2011 SULEV here, car only ever resided in CA. I believe they replaced my radiator back when I first bought the car under SULEV warranty. Although I had used my extended warranty to replace OFHG and VCG later on, I wonder if I can get reimbursed for the VCG?

Additionally, do you guys think that a muffler delete would make my vehicle ineligible for the warranty? I still have 20,000 miles until it's up. I wonder if I can go in there and say that there was a "misfire" and have them replace the coils/plugs preemptively. Defintely would like to juice as much as I could out of this warranty.

Fricken' cylinder head bolts shearing should be covered by this too!
      12-07-2018, 11:39 PM   #82
julius.s
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 328i coupe

just got my car back (2011 bmw 328i n51) from Bmw of el cajon. I brought it in for recall and diagnostic. Code is 2A7C and I have been trying to fix it. I started replacing aftermarket VC for PCV problem, aftermarket Vanos solenoid, intake cam sensor. IWhen I brought it in, I mention to Laralyn(SA) about the Sulev Warranty and she told me that she will help me out. The problem was Vanos units. intake vanos 3 bolts damage and fell into oil pan. exhaust vanos bolts loose. They replaced Vanos units under Sulev warranty and was asked to put new VC(OEM) or cleaned the silicone that I put on the aftermarket VC. For the price that was quoted on cleaning, I decided to install a new VC. Car runs great so far.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 11:16 PM   #83
AlisoBob
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

My daughters 2008 328i is at 148,000 miles. I took it to the dealer to see what they could find before the SULEV warranty expires.

1. Radiator replaced , tank to core crimp damp.
2. Valve cover pulled to reseal it... then upon inspection, replaced
3. Cam position sensor damp with oil, replaced
4. Crankshaft position sensor damp with oil, replaced
5. SAS Valve
6. I had the upper and lower radiator hoses and coolant tank return hose replaced, was charged for parts only, no labor.

Thank you BMW of America !!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 11:37 PM   #84
Cogitoergosum
Private
Rep
Drives: 1M

First post. Bought the 2011 328i car a few weeks back. First BMW for me and I love the I6 whine at 6500 rpm!. Pre-sale Carfax showed recalls need to be done so I dutifully took it to BMW of Valencia, CA, to get it done after I bought it. They did the VCG under warranty (at 64k miles). Funnily enough, it had previously been done by past owner at 50k-ish miles, along with OFHG. BMW Valencia told me I had a leaking OFHG and also leaking upper radiator coolant arms, and they wanted me to spend approx.1100 bucks repairing them. BUT, I can’t find any leaks. Oil pressure and oil levels are good and stable. Coolant level is good and stable over the past 500 miles. I cant smell oil or coolant under the hood. So weird. Anyway, new free VCG under SULEV warranty.

So:

A. VCG
B. 0
C. SULEV covered.
D. Not really but dealer suggested other maintenance i can’t see that I need done.
E. No.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 07:51 AM   #85
ginak
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 328ix

Considering purchase

I'm considering the purchase of a 2011 328ix SULEV. It spent it's entire life in NY. I am in OH.

I read upthread that someone in TX purchased an SULEV vehicle that was originally sold in CA and that the SULEV warranty applied. This is significant if this would apply.

Any input?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 09:14 PM   #86
d1saster
Captain
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: F15 N55 & E93 N51

Models 2010 and later require to be currently registered in SULEV state. Dealers may honor the warranty if you have just address in such state.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 10:56 PM   #87
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Got my VCG replaced at 85,000 miles in my 2009 car. They simply noticed it was leaking and an SULEV vehicle and offered to do it for free

Car not registered in an SULEV state
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 06:12 PM   #88
amanduhh
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
Not sure if this thread already exists but if not, I thought it'd be good idea for SULEV owners to post success stories on different warranty work that was honored as part of the 15 year / 150,000 mile SULEV warranty.

I was always under the impression it came down if you weren't able to pass emissions but I've seen postings here and there that cover anything from valve cover gasket leaks, to solenoids and ignition coils.

Please state

a) issue diagnosed
b) total cost of repair
c) if SULEV covered initially or you had to be reimbursed
d) if your dealer gave you a hard time
e) if BMW NA had to be involved
A) car would crap out once every couple months with fuel pump idrive notification..but no codes. would only happen when idling for 10+ minutes until recently I was waiting in traffic for the holiday light show idling in drive when it stalled out
B) FREE from Habberstad BMW dealership in Bayshore, NY
C) SULEV covered initially...made an appointment over the phone, spoke with the service manager and told him about my fuel pump issue and this warranty I found online
D) dealer made me a priority, personally talked with service manager upon appointment, told him about this 15 year/ 150,000 mile warranty for fuel tank/fuel pump....at first he couldn't find what I was talking about and was very nice about it, even showed me his computer screen to show me he wasn't lying. He only found a warranty for 70,000 and 8 years for the fuel pump but then continued looking since I kept saying how I saw it all over the internet. He then made a phone call and BOOM, he had to change some setting on his computer search and found the updated 15 year/ 150,000 warranty and told me he would run the diagnostic test and if it is fuel pump he would take care of it for me
E) BMW then gave me a rental car from enterprise on their expense since they were out of loaners, dropped the car off on 12/31/18 in the early afternoon, and got my car back 2 days later... 1/2/19 6pm. They washed my car and gave me no hard time at ALL. Was even able to drop the rental from enterprise off at BMW! Didn't have to deal with the bums at enterprise lol

Thanks to this forum I saved ALOT of moooola!!
Appreciate 0