E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Update Video on my N/A build...

09-19-2020, 01:19 AM   #23
Savedamanualse90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6spd n52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savedamanualse90 View Post
I recently found a website with complete carbon parts for our e90 and e92's. They make interior carbon door panels, rear trunk carbon floor cover, carbon sunroof delete and complete rear carbon back seat.. pretty pricey though
I think I saw that same website and speaking for myself, the juice is not worth the squeeze. There are also some Carbon door skins that actually give a nice weight drop but are freaking expensive. The price of them kinda makes me want to try making my own lol
I watched a video of a guy before who just purchased two large pieces of plexiglass or some type of light plastic. He cut it out to the shape of the door and drilled holes on it and used it to replace his door covers which was about a 5+ pound weight savings per door.Which only caused him about 150 bucks for all four doors LOL
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 07:25 AM   #24
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savedamanualse90 View Post
I watched a video of a guy before who just purchased two large pieces of plexiglass or some type of light plastic. He cut it out to the shape of the door and drilled holes on it and used it to replace his door covers which was about a 5+ pound weight savings per door.Which only caused him about 150 bucks for all four doors LOL
I have seen a few videos like this. I just watched one like 15 mins ago where a guy took his door panels apart and DIY remade sections in carbon. One thing I’ve had on my mind is I don’t want to compromise interior quality and/or introduce a bunch of squeaks/rattles on my car. It’s not a track car so I want to keep it as quiet and comfortable inside as possible.

Redoing the outer door skins in carbon would be ideal to me because there’s a good amount of weight savings and what seems like no compromise to comfort... and doing anything that affects sound deadening I’m not cool with. I’m pretty sure I could get an easy 100lbs out of my car with a rear seat delete and carbon door skins, but I’m not ready to commit to those projects yet. The next thing I’m working on is some bracing for the rear strut areas.
Appreciate 0