E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > (Help) Front Shocks leaking...

05-14-2016, 10:29 AM   #23
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSteak View Post
It was an incredibly tough choice between B4 & B6, but I'm already set on the B4's.

My logic was that the consensus suggests they feel better than OEM Sachs, along with being about 10% stiffer. Plus, I can have them for less than half the price of B6's. (Without having to gamble on their comfort on NYC streets.)
If you are OK with how the OEM struts rode then I'm sure you'll be content.

Most people want to get as far as possible away from the OEM feel.

My biggest beef was how they handled bumps. The rebound and bounce was annoying.

Good luck and let us know how the end result is.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2016, 11:35 AM   #24
MrSteak
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 335i Coupe (6-speed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
If you are OK with how the OEM struts rode then I'm sure you'll be content.

Most people want to get as far as possible away from the OEM feel.

My biggest beef was how they handled bumps. The rebound and bounce was annoying.

Good luck and let us know how the end result is.

Thanks, will do!

I honestly don't know what I'm looking for in regards to "handling bumps". My 350Z felt amazing, but wasn't comfortable for long road trips, and driving around NYC roads daily was often a jarring experience. My 335i has been as good compromise (low enough for fun, but soft enough for comfort). I once had a nice 5 Series loaner which felt like it floated above the bad roads & bumps..... but it was boring as hell to drive.

It would be interesting to feel other people's E92 suspension setups to compare, but that's not too feasible. Plus, in a perfect world, I'd have the money to blow on a fully customizable suspension that I can fine tune per trip (NYC, BK, Queens, LI, etc...)........... and I'd also be married to Nina Agdal.

But for now, I can dream... and report back about my B4's.
      05-14-2016, 11:36 AM   #25
redline2001
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 328i

Was going to order individually from a few sites (ECS included), but after contacting FCP, I was impressed by their customer service, warranty, AND they were willing to price match, so it seems like a no-brainer now.[/QUOTE]

ECS sell the kit for $260. How much is everything from FCP?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2016, 11:47 AM   #26
redline2001
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSteak View Post
Thanks, will do!

I honestly don't know what I'm looking for in regards to "handling bumps". My 350Z felt amazing, but wasn't comfortable for long road trips, and driving around NYC roads daily was often a jarring experience. My 335i has been as good compromise (low enough for fun, but soft enough for comfort). I once had a nice 5 Series loaner which felt like it floated above the bad roads & bumps..... but it was boring as hell to drive.

It would be interesting to feel other people's E92 suspension setups to compare, but that's not too feasible. Plus, in a perfect world, I'd have the money to blow on a fully customizable suspension that I can fine tune per trip (NYC, BK, Queens, LI, etc...)........... and I'd also be married to Nina Agdal.

But for now, I can dream... and report back about my B4's.

Like you I'm going with the B4s instead of B6s. Did my research and some said the B6 was too stiff for our roads. Honestly there is no suspension suitable for daily driving thru NY. Besides looks can't figure out why one would invest $$ in suspension to drive around here.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2016, 11:51 AM   #27
MrSteak
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline2001 View Post
ECS sell the kit for $260. How much is everything from FCP?
I think that's the kit for cars without sport suspension.

For the E92 w/ sports suspension it's $322 and won't ship till June 17th. (Link: https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-33...cks/ES2996430/)

If I piece the kit together individually on http://www.importrp.com, it comes out to $297.68. So, if FCP price matches those 4 parts, then I'll just buy the shocks/struts along with all the mounting parts through them.
      05-14-2016, 12:00 PM   #28
MrSteak
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline2001 View Post
Like you I'm going with the B4s instead of B6s. Did my research and some said the B6 was too stiff for our roads. Honestly there is no suspension suitable for daily driving thru NY. Besides looks can't figure out why one would invest $$ in suspension to drive around here.
Exactly. It's bad enough I have to deal with premature wear & tear, cracked/bent rims, and bubbles on my tires. ALL on a stock ride!

If I had the extra money, I'd have a nice tuned car dropped on coilovers.... and then an AWD beater for the rain, snow, and shitty roads.
      05-14-2016, 05:30 PM   #29
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSteak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
I'd recommend the B6. The OEM struts are horrible and anything that compares to them in my eyes (AKA B4) I'd not go with. That's my .02

I dont think you'd find them to be too harsh. Lowering springs would bring out a lot more harshness.
It was an incredibly tough choice between B4 & B6, but I'm already set on the B4's.

My logic was that the consensus suggests they feel better than OEM Sachs, along with being about 10% stiffer. Plus, I can have them for less than half the price of B6's. (Without having to gamble on their comfort on NYC streets.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
On the rear, you'll need upper, upper support mounts, lower upper support mounts, bump stops and maybe lower shock mounts.

On the front, strut bearings & bump stops

Your right on BMW OEM for bump stops. I don't think you can get lemforder for those parts.

FCP euro is a great place to get all of these items; FCP euro offers a lifetime warranty on the parts.

Other vendors you may want to consider are ECS tuning and Pelican
By front strut bearings, do you mean Strut Mount? (Like this: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...60-31306775098) If so, I already have it in my cart.

Also, I vaguely remember reading a thread about someone replacing OEM bump stops with a much stronger bump stop from Autozone/Advance.... but I can't find the thread anymore. The bigger bump stop may have been from another vehicle, but the pictures & fitment seemed impressive.

Was going to order individually from a few sites (ECS included), but after contacting FCP, I was impressed by their customer service, warranty, AND they were willing to price match, so it seems like a no-brainer now.
Yes, that's the part you need. I called them strut bearings due to the bearings in the in the part.

You might need a set of special strut sockets. The only place I have seen them is ECS.

https://www.ecstuning.com/ES2652181/...FZeEaQodG2ANKQ

I don't know what size you need; ask the rep at ECS
Appreciate 0