E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > XDrive transfer case mount replacement without special tools

06-17-2022, 09:22 AM   #1
Runnin'Rich
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009MY E91 328Xi 6MT

1. remove TC bracket and exhaust support
2. Put two short bracket bolts into gearbox side of TC. Use big through bolt nut to space the top bolt as pictured, it will turn in like 1 thread. Bolts are now same height.
3. Put through bolt back in mount and use it to mark position of the hole to drill in 2x4 wood
4. Pry out old bushing with hammer and chisel once half way turn chisel 90 and keep going. Hammer/chisel from gear box end did nothing but scratch the bore
5. Use fine sand paper to clean bore smooth
6. Freeze mount the night before to shrink (maybe optional) use dish soap to press mount in 1cm by hand. Make sure it's aligned.
7. Use wood, oil filter tool and threaded rod with nuts to wind in new mount. Don't worry if the rubber distorts a little bit under oil filter tool.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
anjuna306.50
bshambam195.50
relative4611.00
      06-17-2022, 11:35 AM   #2
anjuna
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: f25

I love it!!!

It's this type of thinking that leads us to continue to enjoy our vehicles!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2023, 11:17 AM   #3
Fus10nv2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnin'Rich View Post
1. remove TC bracket and exhaust support
2. Put two short bracket bolts into gearbox side of TC. Use big through bolt nut to space the top bolt as pictured, it will turn in like 1 thread. Bolts are now same height.
3. Put through bolt back in mount and use it to mark position of the hole to drill in 2x4 wood
4. Pry out old bushing with hammer and chisel once half way turn chisel 90 and keep going. Hammer/chisel from gear box end did nothing but scratch the bore
5. Use fine sand paper to clean bore smooth
6. Freeze mount the night before to shrink (maybe optional) use dish soap to press mount in 1cm by hand. Make sure it's aligned.
7. Use wood, oil filter tool and threaded rod with nuts to wind in new mount. Don't worry if the rubber distorts a little bit under oil filter tool.
I ended up using a sawzaw, slowly and carefully to get the mount out without touching the case after spending hours trying to get it out with a prybar and hammer (150,000 miles, 10yrs. First change)

I went to install the new one, was giving me an issue so I threw it in the freezer an hour ago.

Bro, I am so happy I found your post. God damn genius and so simple. Thank you in advanced for saving me from a headache
Appreciate 0