E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Newbie - E91

02-05-2019, 05:09 PM   #1
BIG01979
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D M Sport Plus Touring

Newbie E91 Questions

Hi All,

Just picked up an E91 M Sport Plus Edition today for my wife. I previously had an F10 company car. This is the second BMW that I have owned. It's on a 2012 plate with lots of history but the millage is on 99,645. I have noticed that the tailgate is quite stiff to lift up. I called BMW this afternoon for a price on struts and they quoted me £114.82 plus VAT. Can anyone recommend a less expensive option? Also the blowers seem very noisy any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 08:01 PM   #2
Andy198712
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E91 325d

The bmw lifters are made by a company beginning with S if I recall.... I googled this lately, it’s written on the strut, just can’t remeber the name, google that and e91 strut and they’ll be a lot cheaper that’s what I’m buying soon as mine are rusty and lazy
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2019, 12:33 AM   #3
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

yeh,,get part number from real oem and get one from e bay,,ive done it for tailgate struts on a focus st,,and them rear tailgates are hevy,,i found out the gard way ha ha ,,came crashing on my napper
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2019, 02:30 AM   #4
BIG01979
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa bmw View Post
yeh,,get part number from real oem and get one from e bay,,ive done it for tailgate struts on a focus st,,and them rear tailgates are hevy,,i found out the gard way ha ha ,,came crashing on my napper
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa bmw View Post
Thanks for the response guys. Any idea on the loud heater blowers or is this normal?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 02:33 AM   #5
Mayorie
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy198712 View Post
The bmw lifters are made by a company beginning with S if I recall.... I googled this lately, it’s written on the strut, just can’t remeber the name, google that and e91 strut and they’ll be a lot cheaper that’s what I’m buying soon as mine are rusty and lazy
+1
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 04:30 AM   #6
N5GKP
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 325i M Sport

The blower motor for the heater may have some debris (possibly a leaf) in it from a previous microfilter change.
Blower motor is incredibly easy to take out & clean, passenger footwell remove the lower kick trim, disconnect the blower controller connector & remove the blower motor (can't remember off the top of my head if there are any screw holding it in place). Clean out, refit and retest.
      02-06-2019, 02:26 PM   #7
BIG01979
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N5GKP View Post
The blower motor for the heater may have some debris (possibly a leaf) in it from a previous microfilter change.
Blower motor is incredibly easy to take out & clean, passenger footwell remove the lower kick trim, disconnect the blower controller connector & remove the blower motor (can't remember off the top of my head if there are any screw holding it in place). Clean out, refit and retest.
Thanks buddy. You where right there was a leaf in the blower. Took it out cleaned but took me over an hour to get it back in. Made a big difference thanks a lot. Any ideas on squeaky steering wheel
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 03:14 AM   #8
N5GKP
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG01979 View Post
Quote:
Thanks buddy. You where right there was a leaf in the blower. Took it out cleaned but took me over an hour to get it back in. Made a big difference thanks a lot. Any ideas on squeaky steering wheel
They can be a bit of a pain & a bit fiddly sometimes!

With regards to squeaky steering, remove the lower dashboard kick trim on the drivers side (same as you did passenger) look for where the steering shaft goes through the bulk head, there should be a rubber boot of some description, you wanna lubricate where the shaft contacts the boot & hopefully thats yer problem!
      02-07-2019, 12:18 PM   #9
BIG01979
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

With regards to squeaky steering, remove the lower dashboard kick trim on the drivers side (same as you did passenger) look for where the steering shaft goes through the bulk head, there should be a rubber boot of some description, you wanna lubricate where the shaft contacts the boot & hopefully thats yer problem!
Thanks again. Just done your fix and no more squeaks. Used WD-40 White Lithium.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 12:42 PM   #10
N5GKP
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks again. Any tips on what to lubricate it with?
I usually use silicone spray or something that's not likely to evaporate/disappear quickly
      02-08-2019, 03:21 PM   #11
BIG01979
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks again. Any tips on what to lubricate it with?
I usually use silicone spray or something that's not likely to evaporate/disappear quickly
Thanks buddy bought some today. Do you know how I can get my mirrors to fold in when locking the car and vice vests when opening the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 03:50 PM   #12
Andy198712
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E91 325d

Do you have power folding mirrors?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 06:17 PM   #13
BIG01979
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yes, but I am having to press the button to fold them in once parked up.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 11:54 PM   #14
nick46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw E91 lci 330d msport

You need to have it coded so they fold when you lock and unlock the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 01:15 AM   #15
N5GKP
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You can code it (along with a lot of other options) with the Carly adapter & mobile App.
Whether you buy this yourself or befriend someone who has it is up to you.
I'm based in Preston, Lancashire so if you ever find yourself in that area give me a nudge and I'll happily code it in for you
      02-09-2019, 01:56 AM   #16
BIG01979
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You can code it (along with a lot of other options) with the Carly adapter & mobile App.
Whether you buy this yourself or befriend someone who has it is up to you.
I'm based in Preston, Lancashire so if you ever find yourself in that area give me a nudge and I'll happily code it in for you
Thanks buddy that would be great. I was up in Preston on Thursday. Unfortunately in my car. I will try and let you know next time. Suppose you don't venture near Manchester?
Appreciate 0