E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > [FIXED] Issues after new battery - Steering Lock Error, cant start car

03-07-2018, 06:20 PM   #45
ibd12nv
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Rep
Drives: 335I, E46 M3, X5M

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl View Post
Theres a counter associated with the ELV (electronic steering lock). If the steering lock fails to unlock the steering column a number of times and exceeds a maximum limit, you will get that warning light on the dash. This can happen when you have a low battery condition

This can be fixed with Tool32 (Part of BMW Standard Tools) which resets the counter. They are these two jobs:

steuern_elvcounter_cas_loeschen
steuern_elvcounter_elv_loeschen

I am not 100% sure if it will fix it in your case, because from what I read, the steering lock should still attempt to unlock even when it shows the error on the dash?
^THIS^ worked for me this past week. vids on YouTube posted by shoplife help for step by step info.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 09:38 PM   #46
MAXPUNJABI
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 328i

2007 Bmw 328i Steering Wheel Locked No Warning Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Of course Electricanskivanfigginggermandercrap
Why didn't i think of that (face palm)
Hi, I hope someone will get back to me on this asap. So I parked my car at a slightly uphill parking lot. went back after 5 minutes and my steering wheel is locked and wouldn't unlock. I've been reading all the forums but I didn't find even one person with the same problem who hasn't seen the warning light. My roommate checked my car and said my battery is out. Could that be the only problem? or I should get the Greasing and cleaning of Steering wheel column done first??
Please help I have already spent $4000 on this car and Don't have anymore money to put into it.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 09:47 PM   #47
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXPUNJABI View Post
Hi, I hope someone will get back to me on this asap. So I parked my car at a slightly uphill parking lot. went back after 5 minutes and my steering wheel is locked and wouldn't unlock. I've been reading all the forums but I didn't find even one person with the same problem who hasn't seen the warning light. My roommate checked my car and said my battery is out. Could that be the only problem? or I should get the Greasing and cleaning of Steering wheel column done first??
Please help I have already spent $4000 on this car and Don't have anymore money to put into it.
Does the car start? Parking on an incline shouldn't effect steering lock...I mean maybe, if that incline is extreme.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 09:53 PM   #48
MAXPUNJABI
Rep

No, it does not start. when i inserted key battery seemed to be fine but steering was locked, I figured that without steering being unlocked car would not start. So parked at my apartment's parking lot ATM with a dead battery.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 09:56 PM   #49
MAXPUNJABI
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
Does the car start? Parking on an incline shouldn't effect steering lock...I mean maybe, if that incline is extreme.
No, it does not start. when i inserted key battery seemed to be fine but steering was locked, I figured that without steering being unlocked car would not start. So parked at my apartment's parking lot ATM with a dead battery.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 09:58 PM   #50
MAXPUNJABI
Rep

Quote:
But here's what I'm Confused about, I've never seen the warning light ever!! even after my steering wheel is locked there is no Steering wheel malfunction light anywhere.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 10:35 PM   #51
e36mmm
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255612
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 10:37 PM   #52
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Quote:
You're not making a lot of sense, or I'm just not understanding. Battery seemed fine, but it's dead?

What does the car do when you try to start it?

Does it crank?

If not, do you hear a click from the engine, like the starter is trying to engage, but can't?

Does it do nothing at all?

Do all of your dash lights/radio/climate control turn on when you press the start/stop button?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 10:40 PM   #53
MAXPUNJABI
Rep

Quote:
You're not making a lot of sense, or I'm just not understanding. Battery seemed fine, but it's dead?

What does the car do when you try to start it?

Does it crank?

If not, do you hear a click from the engine, like the starter is trying to engage, but can't?

Does it do nothing at all?

Do all of your dash lights/radio/climate control turn on when you press the start/stop button?
ok let me try to explain again.

went to 7-11, parked my car, never seen no warning light ever.

came back unlocked it, put the key in and steering wheel is locked.

all the lights are working fine but since the steering wheel is locked it won't start.

tried a few times taking key in and out, wiggling the steering wheel, nothing helped.

towed the car to my house and now the battery is dead cuz I tried to start it multiple times.

But why is my Steering wheel locked and doesn't show Steering wheel malfunction light?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 10:43 PM   #54
MAXPUNJABI
Rep

Quote:
ok let me try to explain again.

went to 7-11, parked my car, never seen no warning light ever.

came back unlocked it, put the key in and steering wheel is locked.

all the lights are working fine but since the steering wheel is locked it won't start.

tried a few times taking key in and out, wiggling the steering wheel, nothing helped.

towed the car to my house and now the battery is dead cuz I tried to start it multiple times.

AND there is no crank no nothing. Engine doesn't respond.

But why is my Steering wheel locked and doesn't show Steering wheel malfunction light?
AND yeah nO CRANK WHEN BATTERY WAS FINE. nO RESPONSE AT ALL.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 04:03 AM   #55
iliketurtl3s
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Change battery. Issue will be fixed.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 03:27 PM   #56
MAXPUNJABI
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36mmm View Post
But I never got this warning on my dash.... I drove to the store, came back and steering wheel wouldn't unlock... NO WARNINGS AT ALL!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 03:28 PM   #57
MAXPUNJABI
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtl3s View Post
Change battery. Issue will be fixed.
Thanks! I'm Going to do that tomorrow, Will update!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 05:48 AM   #58
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
So is this fixed. All very confusing
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 06:11 AM   #59
iliketurtl3s
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
So is this fixed. All very confusing
Not confusing at all. He went to the 7-11 on the hill and the steering got locked then the tow truck took him home. Then he went back to the two truck and the 7-11 got locked while driving to the steering wheel. Battery
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 07:04 AM   #60
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtl3s View Post
Not confusing at all. He went to the 7-11 on the hill and the steering got locked then the tow truck took him home. Then he went back to the two truck and the 7-11 got locked while driving to the steering wheel. Battery
Oh I thought, steering wheel lock, went to 7-11, purchased snacks, parked on incline hill, went back to 7-11, tow trucked to home and back to 7-11, not sure if to get more snacks or not. but no warnings at all, Then things get a little hazy from there. Hopefully all is fixed OP
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 07:45 PM   #61
MAXPUNJABI
Rep

No start steering wheel problem solved. I took my battery out
Took it to a local parts shop, it was dead. They charged it for an hour before testing it. Battery is fully charged and Good. Went back put the battery back on, put the key fob in, straight up Red steering wheel lock signal showed up. Steering wheel is still locked. Went back to the battery, unplugged IBS, waited for a minute. Attempted to start again, steering wheel unlocked, heard the click but red steering wheel lock signal is still there. Turned off the car and turned it back on a few times, took it for a spin. Red steering wheel lock signal is stubborn. Turned off the car again, started it, hooked up OBD 2, no codes, still hit clear codes. Steering wheel lock signal GONE!!!! went to on board computer and reset it. No problems anymore. And yea, left the IBS unplugged.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 09:18 PM   #62
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
No start steering wheel problem solved. I took my battery out
Took it to a local parts shop, it was dead. They charged it for an hour before testing it. Battery is fully charged and Good. Went back put the battery back on, put the key fob in, straight up Red steering wheel lock signal showed up. Steering wheel is still locked. Went back to the battery, unplugged IBS, waited for a minute. Attempted to start again, steering wheel unlocked, heard the click but red steering wheel lock signal is still there. Turned off the car and turned it back on a few times, took it for a spin. Red steering wheel lock signal is stubborn. Turned off the car again, started it, hooked up OBD 2, no codes, still hit clear codes. Steering wheel lock signal GONE!!!! went to on board computer and reset it. No problems anymore. And yea, left the IBS unplugged.
Nice.... glad to hear it’s all fixed.
90% if E90 problems are caused by a low or dead battery. Most of the time they just fail without warning ⚠️
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 03:19 AM   #63
e36mmm
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport

I found out the hard way. But then realised that the car gave me a discreet hint a few months ago and I didnt take notice of it. When the battery is running low, while your exiting the vehicle at your arrived destination and open the door, to get out and lock, the windows get stuck in up position all the way to the point where you can not shut door as it will break the glass if you do on frameless cars like e92.. I had to get in, put key in ignition, put window down, then back up and then it allowed me to push door in and lock it. Hapenned twice. I thought it was a system glitch. 2 months later my battery died while driving and went into psycho mode with lights and bulbs flashing etc. And then I realised a month later that the window not adjusting it self a few months ago when entering and exiting the vehicle was indeed a sign. What a car!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 04:31 AM   #64
iliketurtl3s
Captain
Rep

Still waiting for the answer to my question
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 08:03 AM   #65
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep