E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > xHP Transmission flash, anyone in OZ tried?

04-07-2017, 10:35 PM   #23
Pete.J
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 DCT (F82)

Garage List
I woke up at 6am on Friday 31/03 to flash xHP before going to work #DEDICATION lol Technically it was released on 30/03 Europe's timing, but for us Australians that meant 31/03 at 4am.

My experience has been very positive, the flashing process was very easy, no dramas at all. I also took the chance to connect my laptop and update a few modules to their latest firmware using BMW's WinKpf software. I wanted to do it for a long time but never had the time, my car is 2008, so as you can imagine, there were many software updates for almost all modules (inc. DSC).

I flashed xHP Stage 3 on my car, previously I have tried Alpina and the latest factory flash (ZB no. 7603535 and ZB no. 7603527). The xHP Stage 3 owns Alpina and any factory tune imo, tbh it's not hard to beat Alpina, Alpina is shit imo, I never really liked it, but it was the only thing we had, so everyone kept raving about it

Compared to Alpina, xHP has a much better D mode, and the S mode is more aggressive than Alpina, in S mode it'll constantly keep the car revving a lot higher than Alpina and it'll downshift earlier by itself if you slow down a bit. xHP M Mode is by far my favourite though, it won't change gears for you when you hit the redline, it shifts slightly faster and crisper than Alpina, but the best part about it.... It bloody rev matches properly when downshifting Alpina rev-matching when downshifting is absolutely terrible, it either blips the throttle too much, or it doesn't blip the throttle enough it was so frustrating. Downshifting with xHP is really seamless, I like it.

Overall, in all modes, the shifts feel very solid and firm. It completely got rid of that slushy feeling from factory, generally automatic transmission are tuned from factory to shift slow and slushy to protect their internal components and prevent shocking the drivetrain. So no one knows how long the box will last with the xHP Stage 3.

I am on my way to convert my car into a manual anyway, I have already bought a lot of parts from overseas and locally. The Stage 3 xHP tune has made me less in a hurry to do the manual conversion, now I can sit down and relax and look for bargain manual parts for sale, instead of rushing everything.. even if it took 6-12 months to do the manual conversion, it's not an issue as I am really enjoying the car as it is right now with the xHP Stage 3 maps.

P.s. I even messaged xHP to say thank you for his work, I am a programmer myself, so I understand how frustrating it might have been cracking an ECU encrypted by someone else

*Forgot to mention, the car is on MHD Stage 1+

Happy BMW, happy owner:

04-08-2017, 02:17 AM   #24
Digitalism
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Thanks for the review, it sounds very encouraging but am not a fan of the failed writes thus far.

Hopefully it can get sorted and flashing can be full proof and consistent.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 04:29 AM   #25
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by physicxz View Post
So bit of an update.

If you want to transfer the backup, you also need to transfer the STATE file. This must read the current status/configuration of the car because the TCU cannot be read properly in the current state.

Tried to reflash it back to my original config to at least get my car running any it reports the same message shortly after it starts: ***app internal flash program error***.

xHP said I must have a faulty cable, but find this statement a bit questionable seeing as it was able to make a whole backup and read codes in MHD. Will need to order another cable as the car is currently unusable right now
You should just start a thread and ask if anyone in NSW has a WINKFP setup to flash your car back to stock.
      04-10-2017, 12:49 AM   #26
kebinuu
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

Mint ASF

I myself did not get any trouble doing this, and had no idea of the negative feedback on the forum before doing this.

On the release date, I installed the xHP program, and did not follow the steps.
My car is a 02/07 model. So i doubted I had it, but since the App was free I decided to check my firmware however seems I got lucky and had the new TCU 7591971.
The App sets out steps one by one.

Agree it took awhile as the TCU was to be backed up (had JFA TCU Flash prior)

Afterwards you would purchase a $100 license, and the OTS map.
I went with the Stage 3 (how could you not?!)

Since my battery wanted to die as the App told me I was on 11.5v or so, I had to hook it up to my Mum's car

It is beautiful this flash, best thing I ever did, shifts so fast and is a large improvement over the Alpinas and the JFA, dont even care I didnt get DCT anymore, but still sad not having the 'fart' i guess.

Anywho ECU Holds torque well and shifts at perfect rpm bands.

There is currently work from users to edit the custom maps and make it a bit better on the BMW 135i 335i page on Facebook if anyone wanted to contribute.

With the INPA Cable and USB cables I bought from ebay they worked splendidly.
Links below for reference:
Cheap but works
INPA:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/221418264572

MICRO USB:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/171500761873

Must do. Good luck all
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 01:55 AM   #27
rooks335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebinuu View Post
I myself did not get any trouble doing this, and had no idea of the negative feedback on the forum before doing this.

On the release date, I installed the xHP program, and did not follow the steps.
My car is a 02/07 model. So i doubted I had it, but since the App was free I decided to check my firmware however seems I got lucky and had the new TCU 7591971.
The App sets out steps one by one.

Agree it took awhile as the TCU was to be backed up (had JFA TCU Flash prior)

Afterwards you would purchase a $100 license, and the OTS map.
I went with the Stage 3 (how could you not?!)

Since my battery wanted to die as the App told me I was on 11.5v or so, I had to hook it up to my Mum's car

It is beautiful this flash, best thing I ever did, shifts so fast and is a large improvement over the Alpinas and the JFA, dont even care I didnt get DCT anymore, but still sad not having the 'fart' i guess.

Anywho ECU Holds torque well and shifts at perfect rpm bands.

There is currently work from users to edit the custom maps and make it a bit better on the BMW 135i 335i page on Facebook if anyone wanted to contribute.

With the INPA Cable and USB cables I bought from ebay they worked splendidly.
Links below for reference:
Cheap but works
INPA:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/221418264572

MICRO USB:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/171500761873

Must do. Good luck all
Good to hear positive reviews on xHP!

So $100 for the licence to flash and another $150 for the stage 3 flash?
All up $250 aussie dollars?

Be interested to see if there are fuel economy benefits with the faster dct-like shifts.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 07:44 PM   #28
satz
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

pitos 7 - what's your recommendation about which xHP stage to get for my otherwise stock Automatic 335i sedan? Is the stage 3 too extreme?

What I'm after is more response when I press the accelerator 25%-50% in D mode. I find it really frustrating that there's a "lag" before it drops a gear. Would Stage 3 cure that, or would Stage 2 be enough?

cheers
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 08:41 PM   #29
satz
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Which is 'ignition' position on push-start?

General question relating to doing the xHP flash...

the instructions say to make sure the car is not started, but on 'ignition'.

On the comfort-access keyless start, is that the first push of the button (without pressing brake pedal); or the 2nd push (when all the warning lights illuminate)?

However, the xHP manual says to hold the button for 2 seconds....
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 08:56 PM   #30
Digitalism
Lieutenant
Rep

It would be 2nd push with all lights illuminated.

Similar process to MHD.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 09:00 PM   #31
YouAreMyWorld
///Project Aura
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral White ///M-Sport 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by satz View Post
General question relating to doing the xHP flash...

the instructions say to make sure the car is not started, but on 'ignition'.

On the comfort-access keyless start, is that the first push of the button (without pressing brake pedal); or the 2nd push (when all the warning lights illuminate)?

However, the xHP manual says to hold the button for 2 seconds....
Just plug the key in and press the start button without having your foot on the brake. That's "ignition on". Make it simple for yourself, not complicated.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 09:13 PM   #32
satz
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Thanks Digitalism

2nd push it will be!

cheers
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 03:17 AM   #33
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i MSport DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by physicxz View Post
So bit of an update.

If you want to transfer the backup, you also need to transfer the STATE file. This must read the current status/configuration of the car because the TCU cannot be read properly in the current state.

Tried to reflash it back to my original config to at least get my car running any it reports the same message shortly after it starts: ***app internal flash program error***.

xHP said I must have a faulty cable, but find this statement a bit questionable seeing as it was able to make a whole backup and read codes in MHD. Will need to order another cable as the car is currently unusable right now
Hi mate
If you want to borrow my cable your welcome to it.
      04-11-2017, 08:37 PM   #34
bradsm87
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F25 LCI xDrive30d

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...13294002319955
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 07:51 AM   #35
MMM335
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsm87 View Post
any updates with ya maps mate?
MHD Stage 2+ e60 OTS|VRSF V2 Catless DPs|VRSF 7 Inch FMIC|VRSF Charger Pipes|Turbosmart Supersonic BOV|K&N DCI's|VRSF OEM Silicone Inlets|BMS OCC|FUEL IT STAGE 2|07+ TCU Conversion|XHP Flashtool Stage 3 Race Map|1m Front Bumper|CSL Wing|Aero Rear Bumper|DTM U Shaped LED Angel Eyes with RGB Demon Eyes|M3 Cowl
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 04:49 PM   #36
bradsm87
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F25 LCI xDrive30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM335 View Post
any updates with ya maps mate?
I don't have my diff back. DiffLab aren't communicating with me at all, nor do they answer my calls.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 04:33 PM   #37
MMM335
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i

thats a shit go...
MHD Stage 2+ e60 OTS|VRSF V2 Catless DPs|VRSF 7 Inch FMIC|VRSF Charger Pipes|Turbosmart Supersonic BOV|K&N DCI's|VRSF OEM Silicone Inlets|BMS OCC|FUEL IT STAGE 2|07+ TCU Conversion|XHP Flashtool Stage 3 Race Map|1m Front Bumper|CSL Wing|Aero Rear Bumper|DTM U Shaped LED Angel Eyes with RGB Demon Eyes|M3 Cowl
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 10:15 PM   #38
sublian
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i E92 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapsterAU View Post
I ended up going from my alpina flash straight to Stage 3 and found it slightly better at shifts in M mode but heaps better in D.

I do have issues now which may or may not be related to the flash but shifting into 4th slips ever so slightly and 4th to 5th actually fails and the trans fault pops up.
So hope my trans is not on the way out >.<
Yeah mine was slipping from 3-4 then it would go bk to 3 then error code re M3-M4 gear ratio or something...

So I flash the stock map bk (Alpina) but same issue .. prolly aggravated it with xhp .. maybe reset adaptations will harm it too as it's done 160,000 kms plus mostly tuned and the last 10,000 kms on Pure Stage 2 lol

Did u find a solution to yours though?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 03:06 AM   #39
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublian View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NapsterAU View Post
I ended up going from my alpina flash straight to Stage 3 and found it slightly better at shifts in M mode but heaps better in D.

I do have issues now which may or may not be related to the flash but shifting into 4th slips ever so slightly and 4th to 5th actually fails and the trans fault pops up.
So hope my trans is not on the way out >.<
Yeah mine was slipping from 3-4 then it would go bk to 3 then error code re M3-M4 gear ratio or something...

So I flash the stock map bk (Alpina) but same issue .. prolly aggravated it with xhp .. maybe reset adaptations will harm it too as it's done 160,000 kms plus mostly tuned and the last 10,000 kms on Pure Stage 2 lol

Did u find a solution to yours though?
Thought I'd chime in and say I've flashed mine from stock no issue at all.

Same process as a mhd flash. Much faster and firmer shifts as a result of stage 3 maps. I'm a big fan.

Most common issue is with people running alpina flash because the alpina flash wasn't done properly (didn't code tcu coding table) but it fails on backup (which means the car is untouched) and is simply a case of getting the alpina flash done properly first.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 07:36 PM   #40
mikenazz
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

Flashed from alpina to XHP3 after fixing the coding issue.

Much better than Alpina, alot smoother, D is perfect for daily. Bit faster shifting in sports. No slamming.
Str8 E85 jb4 mhd Trebila tune , RB Next gen Plus, BMS PI, VTT Inlets, RB outlets, vrsf down pipes, 7" vrsf IC, CP, Turbosmart bov, bms pods, NGK sparks,BL coils, Stage 3 fuelIt lpfp, m3 rear guide rods, poly rear sub frame bushes.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 10:27 PM   #41
Digitalism
Lieutenant
Rep

What is this Alpina coding issue and how do we know if it affects us?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 12:31 AM   #42
xQx
General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalism View Post
Quote:
Try to do the backup, prior to flash. If it fails and says something like "coding not found", you have the alpina flash issue.

If you don't already have the alpina TCU flash, you won't be affected.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 05:03 AM   #43
Digitalism
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks xQx.

What happens if the error comes up, how do we go about fixing it?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 02:16 AM   #44
xQx
General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Thanks xQx.

What happens if the error comes up, how do we go about fixing it?
Before xHP lets you do any flash, it insists on doing a backup. This is non-destructive, and if it fails your car is still unaffected (drivable, unchanged etc.)

If it's succesful, it creates two files xhp_backup_tcu_[stuff] and xhp_backup_coding_[stuff]. Which I'm guessing corresponds to two parts of the auto trans's programming memory. If you want to change shiftpoints etc. you load up xhp_backup_tcu_[stuff].bak into tunerpro and change it.

But the key point is lots of people who've done the Alpina flash have flashed the _tcu_ part of the transmission, but left the _coding_ part blank. I don't know what it stores, and obviously it's actually not that important - BUT, xHP won't consider the backup a success unless i can back that part up too.

And because they always want you to be able to restore the backup and have a drivable car, you're not allowed to flash any maps until you've had a successful backup.

To fix it, you need to re-code the 'coding' section of the TCU - either yourself using ncsexpert, or by going back to the person who did the Alpina flash for you in the first place.

Sorry to link to another forum, but the fix is here: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?p=536089
Appreciate 0