Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Bending Forged Wheels

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

03-04-2008, 06:18 PM   #45
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep
Drives: 三三五i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaClawz View Post
did you have to take pictures of the potholes and prove yourself?
The more information you have the better. They will require at least 2 quotes to repair/replace, or a paid receipt. The CalTrans process on their end essentially goes like this today:

A claim is submitted by yourself, with the time, date, location. The information about where the pothole / road hazard is, is analyzed and it is forwarded on to the supervisor in charge of road maintenance in that area.

The supervisor will either a) see the pothole and determine whether it is enough to cause damage, and then fix the pothole, or b) have already fixed the pothole due to other complaints, and will likely approve your claim if it is dated before the date the fix was implemented on the road.

All in all, it comes down to the discretion of 1 person - the supervisor of the road maintenance crew in that area. So hope you get a cool one.
      03-04-2008, 08:29 PM   #46
SantaClawz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Jeez. i pray i never hit one. im on a 25 profile on 20 inch wheels. LOL

ROLLING STOCK
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2008, 08:57 PM   #47
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerboy87 View Post
You drive a BMW, not a Honda. Treat your car to some nice higher end wheels. Whats the point of buying a cast wheel? just because the cost is less. Why buy wheels then in my opinion? if your worried about bending, heck the cast wheel will totally break not bend, compared to a forged wheel. Just my 2 cents.
Hmmm.....you're a little mis-informed. A cast wheel will not necessarily break. I've straightened more than one cast wheel that met an unfortunate pothole.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2008, 10:04 PM   #48
shragon
No_Country
Rep

yes, cast wheels can also bend.

on my last car, i had hamann hm2's which were made by o.z. i ran these wheels for more than a than a few years on cali's crappy roads. i bent one wheel in that time, which was done by a giant road crack going up to mount diablo.

Name:  DSCF0006.JPG
Views: 4056
Size:  107.7 KB
      03-05-2008, 09:17 AM   #49
RMRC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335d

I debated this as well. I was going to go with a set of cast VMR CSL reps and probably would have been very happy with them. But I just can’t pass on the VS8s. At 20 lbs each and a price of about 3,200 delivered with GS-D3s it was worth the extra $1k to me. I couldn’t justify the $3k more for BBS LMs or RGRs with tires though. Everyone has a different threshold but I find the Morr wheels to be an incredible value for a light forged wheel.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2008, 12:24 PM   #50
SV Concepts
United_States
Rep
Drives: Vorsteiner E60 M5

I've waited a long time for a chance to post this picture.....

This was in the olden days of Kinesis, though. And it also failed on a track doing god knows what.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2008, 12:28 PM   #51
RMRC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335d

Wow that's scary. Looks like a Pilot Sport Cup (or some other r-comp) tire mounted so that wheel probably failed on track. I wonder what the circumstances were.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2008, 12:53 PM   #52
iatacs19
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M4

Hard to tell from that picture alone, it could have hit something going fast or it could have just failed under duress. We need more than just 1 picture to make any kind of conclusion.
      03-05-2008, 12:56 PM   #53
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep

Garage List
Could have been an actual accident on track. Regardless, scary enough when you think about what happened if you just hit a bump and the spokes snapped.
      03-05-2008, 06:51 PM   #54
ScBlacksunshine
YUGO is my dream car
Rep
Drives: Bayerische Motoren Werke

Using iForge as example of quality forged wheel is a bad example to begin with Like HRC said, not all forge wheels are created equal. The pressure of the forging press plays a big factor in the final product
      03-05-2008, 07:09 PM   #55
Chunga
Captain
Denmark
Rep
Drives: E90 black saphire 2008

And who would use a 2 or 3 pcs wheel for track? - they are not stiff enough.
One pice is stiff and strong.
      03-05-2008, 09:48 PM   #56
shragon
No_Country
Rep

agree. the pic is shocking looking, but we really need to know more about what happened before hand to come to a conclusion.
      03-06-2008, 01:30 AM   #57
Sick Speed
Speed
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E92 Coupe

3 years back I hit a pot hole and it put such a huge dent into my forged wheel I had to replace it.

Had it been a cast wheel it most likely would have completely fractured.

SS
      03-06-2008, 11:18 AM   #58
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowbow View Post
And just to be clear..... The state of California ended up paying me back for those rims that time (pic above) because the pothole was huge. So you can get reimbursed back under the proper circumstances and everything. It'll take months though. And in the end, it still isn't worth my headache.
I tried that a few years back. After about 6 months of letters, phone calls, and wasted time, I gave up. While they're obligated to do it, you basically have to sue them to motivate them to pay, and then, they usually only pay a fraction of what you actually need.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2008, 12:24 PM   #59
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkNg335i View Post
Forged wheel will bend when it hit a pothole ,cast wheel well bend and also crack. The OEM wheels are cast too it doesn't mean that cast wheel are garbage, it's just the manufacturing process is less expensive.
I'm confused, was my post(s) above not clear? Did I say a forged wheel will NOT bend under the right circumstances? I understand that the OEM rims on my car are cast. I never said cast wheels are garbage, I stated that if I upgrade, I prefer a forged monoblock wheel over any cast wheel, regardless of looks.

Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2008, 03:10 PM   #60
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict View Post
I tried that a few years back. After about 6 months of letters, phone calls, and wasted time, I gave up. While they're obligated to do it, you basically have to sue them to motivate them to pay, and then, they usually only pay a fraction of what you actually need.
Guess I got lucky then. They paid out the full retail cost of 2 of my wheels, in a few months, with minimal overall hassle.
      03-06-2008, 03:58 PM   #61
1WickedE90
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict View Post
Get a lawyer, if they don't want to play fair. In your lawsuit, include your lawyer's fees as part of the cost. I had to do this way back with a pair of BBS RC wheels. It took me about 8.5 months but I got everything back. Caltrans is usually ok to deal with but sometimes, you get the dumbass who just doesn't get why his organization is responsible for the pot-hole that bent/cracked your car's wheels.

Btw, they settled and we didn't have to go to court
      03-12-2008, 03:24 AM   #62
G35revup
V3 Power
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space gray 335i

I bent my iforged wheels once hitting a pothole, I took the wheels to this wheel shop I know of and they fixed them for between $75-$150 per wheel
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2008, 04:06 AM   #63
BMW MotorSport
Banned
Rep
Drives: 95 Avus M3 and 07 E90 Fam Car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iatacs19 View Post
Forged will bend just as easily as cast if you hit a bad pothole.

Forged just means you have slightly stronger metal composition because the molecules have been pounded so much that they create a solid matrix, the grain in the metal is aligned much better. They are somewhat stronger than cast, but not a significant amount. Like the poster above said, just because it's "forged" it does not mean it's made from some indestructible material. It depends on what you value in a wheel, looks vs. performance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
Are you kidding me? What does the brand of vehicle have to do with it? The OEM is cast. In everything in life we have to make decisions on what is the benefit vs. cost ratio on things. If forged wheels are that much stronger and will withstand pot hole that much better, then the decision is easier. If really the main benefit of forged is the lighter wheel, then cast it is for me. I broke 3 pretty expensive wheels on my last car and it got really annoying flushing $800 down the toilet everytime I bent a wheel. They were cast wheels wheels, but I really wouldn't care as much if they were cheaper.
Quote:
So it is sounding like the strength of cast vs. forged may not be worth the money. Really what you are paying for is a lighter wheel? If that is the case, then I will buy cast and buy down pipes to make up for the power. This really is a great discussion. Any other forged owners want to chime in?
All very good points and views. I honestly believe that both cast and forged have their slight advantages. But for the cost conscience customer cast all the way, for the discerning high end customer forged for sure.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2008, 07:08 PM   #64
E92_335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

Quote:
Danny, replacing a cast wheel is just a few hundred dollars, but replacing a forged wheel is $1000. For the money I save and go cast, I could easily get the extra power back with DP's and an intake. Just my thoughts right now.

What I am debating is a wheel like the Breyton CS vs. and IForged Essen or DPE S-20 or Enkreuz. I would just hate to spend $1000 on a replacement wheel.
Just thought I'd chime in... that is not necessarily true. My iForged wheel bent and got a small crack that would leak air out and it was only a couple hundred to fix it!

Hope this helped in making your decision if you have not yet done so...

-PJ
      10-12-2008, 08:25 PM   #65
Doc E
Surf Caster Extraordinaire
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '13 ISF

FWIW, BBS CH (cast) are the strongest cast wheels out there.
I've actually bend a few forged (BBS RS-GT) wheels in my time and it a PITA to repair/refinish, esp the custom colored stuff...