E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Bluetooth Music Device for LCI??

12-03-2012, 11:58 AM   #1
GChase
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 328i

Bluetooth Music Device for LCI??

Hey guys, I'm in a little predicament.

Well my 2nd AUX cord has gone out in the past 4 months so I'm finally wanting to ditch the stupid wire and go Bluetooth. I've seen the Belkin Aircast and Griffin BlueTrip get some good reviews, but I have a small problem: I don't have a cigarette lighter. I took out ashtray (it was broken anyway) and installed a sunglasses holder, and the LCI e90 doesn't have a cig lighter inside of the armrest.

So my question to you all is:
What is the best bluetooth device that will play my iPhone 4S's music wirelessly that doesn't use a cigarette lighter?

I've seen the Blackberry Gateway, but it is being sold for $150 (people said they were originally sold for $30-50... what a markup). Maybe you all could give a link to where they are selling it for much cheaper. And a last question, if you all recommend a USB connectable bluetooth device, will the device drain my car's battery if I leave it in after I turn the car off?

Thanks! Any responses are appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 12:38 PM   #2
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

The USB port and lighter socket turn off with the car, so nothing is going to drain the battery while you're gone. That said, your options all either use the lighter socket or require occasional charging which is dumb.

Other than that, you could opt for something like a mobridge/dennon gateway/parrot MKi series.
      12-03-2012, 01:36 PM   #3
GChase
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post
The USB port and lighter socket turn off with the car, so nothing is going to drain the battery while you're gone. That said, your options all either use the lighter socket or require occasional charging which is dumb.

Other than that, you could opt for something like a mobridge/dennon gateway/parrot MKi series.
Those options you mentioned seem way out of reasonable price range. And also I don't have iDrive. I may be stuck with the occasional charging products, since I'm sick of buying a new AUX cable every 2 months from it getting crushed by my armrest.

Any of those occasional charging products you recommend? Or are there any that could charge from the USB port?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 01:57 PM   #4
rcurley55
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 535i

I'm going to be using the Blackberry Stereo Gateway in my E60 (which doesn't have a cig lighter in the armrest either). To do so, I just purchased a power supply to convert 12v to the USB charging connector. Your wires for the cig lighter are still there, tap into those with the power supply and now you have a hardwired solution.

Something like this:

http://semsons-co-inc.amazonwebstore...B001M09L20.htm
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 01:59 PM   #5
rcurley55
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 535i

And here's the blackberry item on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-BL...item2c6a76caf3

I got mine for less than $50, but it seems that this product is either discontinued - hence the severe price hike.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 03:35 PM   #6
GChase
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcurley55 View Post
I'm going to be using the Blackberry Stereo Gateway in my E60 (which doesn't have a cig lighter in the armrest either). To do so, I just purchased a power supply to convert 12v to the USB charging connector. Your wires for the cig lighter are still there, tap into those with the power supply and now you have a hardwired solution.

Something like this:

http://semsons-co-inc.amazonwebstore...B001M09L20.htm
I removed and cut the cig lighter wires already... It was broken anyway. It doesn't it seem like the Blackberry Gateway uses a cig lighter though, does it? None of the description pictures show it.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 02:36 AM   #7
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

It doesn't, battery operated (as I'm aware). Keep in mind, though: anything that doesn't use a lighter socket will either be a fully integrated box (which is very very nice, having head unit integration is very ideal) and thus $$$, or will be battery operated and die all the time.

Killing the lighter socket will probably just make everything you try to do now super annoying.
      12-04-2012, 05:34 AM   #8
GChase
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore
It doesn't, battery operated (as I'm aware). Keep in mind, though: anything that doesn't use a lighter socket will either be a fully integrated box (which is very very nice, having head unit integration is very ideal) and thus $$$, or will be battery operated and die all the time.

Killing the lighter socket will probably just make everything you try to do now super annoying.
Aren't there USB-to-Cig lighter converters? That would work right?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 07:09 AM   #9
geko29
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 6MT

The LCI e90 most definitely does have a cigarette lighter in the center console. I use the one in my 2011 335d to run my Blackberry Music Gateway, which I got from The Crackberry Store for $50.

I'm pretty sure it will also run directly off the USB port in the console, which has the added benefit of turning on when the key is inserted and staying on until the door is opened. The cigarette lighter is only on when the engine is running, so this means you can start playback quicker and keep listening with the car off (as you can with the stock radio functions).

Also, the Gateway has no battery--it must be powered to work. And it does not come with the cigarette lighter adapter. I bought this one to charge my iPhone/iPad while still using the gateway.
Appreciate 0