E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Stressed

02-14-2017, 04:44 AM   #1
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 GC Turbos, FBO, 335i DCT

Stressed

Getting so pissed off every day by the things people around me say in the office every day.
They are either incompetent, under skilled, Bull shitters or straight up thick!

I've got a nice job in a nice location but enemies in the wrong places making my life more difficult than it needs to be.

Problem is aren't all offices pretty much like this?

GC Turbos, FBO, JB4, DCT, Port Meth injection, BMS Charge Pipe, NGK plugs. EBC brakes and pads, LED Angel lights, LED foglights, LCI rears OCC, Braided brake lines. Custom Diff Lockdown Kit, VTT inlets, TMAP, stage 2+ fuel pump
11.79@119mph (stock turbos)
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 04:57 AM   #2
Thermobaric
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

I don't work in an office but I get the same thing. IDGAF what bollocks they say, it's when people can't do their job properly and I have to spend time picking up the pieces and do it properly.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 10:55 AM   #3
imy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSAWS View Post
Getting so pissed off every day by the things people around me say in the office every day.
They are either incompetent, under skilled, Bull shitters or straight up thick!

I've got a nice job in a nice location but enemies in the wrong places making my life more difficult than it needs to be.

Problem is aren't all offices pretty much like this?

Most offices are tbh. But then I only employ people I KNOW I will get along with. I spend more time with these guys than I do my own family so its imperative I get the right person and I can teach banking to anyone with potential... but you cant teach personality.

Chin up man, keep in touch with the right people, make a presence on LinkedIn (its great for networking in Banking - cant speak for other industries) and a dream job with a dream team may be round the corner.

07 E90 335i: JB4, Trebila BEF, BMS DCI, VRSF DPs, Scoops, 19" CSL Reps, 5" ETS FMIC, VTT Inlets, BMS CP, HKS BOV, BMS Meth Injection - sold
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2017, 01:28 AM   #4
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D Xdrive Msport+

Garage List
As a designer big personalities and strong mindedness is kind of a given in our industry and in studios in general which is fine because most of the time there are great personalities behind it all. Our company is a bit different in its setup to the usual, our MD is also our director of design with me directly below and 6 below me.

The biggest issue we have come across is although our staff turnover isn't high when we have had to bring people in finding people who are self motivated, can do what they say on their CV to the level and standards they say they can & accept a 'deadline' is that a deadline is very hard and it's as if there's been no passion in some of them and they want to just turn up put minimal effort in and get paid a good wage without taking any constructive criticism or consideration to others having to step in to fulfil their short comings.

All very frustrating and stressful for everyone involved when your faced with these types of people, finding/building a good team that gels and grows together is one of the hardest things in business.
      02-16-2017, 09:45 AM   #5
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep

Looking around for other jobs, even contracting roles.

Feel like I'm stuck here for now...

So frustrating feeling I want to move on due to other rotten apples and a lack of support.
GC Turbos, FBO, JB4, DCT, Port Meth injection, BMS Charge Pipe, NGK plugs. EBC brakes and pads, LED Angel lights, LED foglights, LCI rears OCC, Braided brake lines. Custom Diff Lockdown Kit, VTT inlets, TMAP, stage 2+ fuel pump
11.79@119mph (stock turbos)
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 05:23 AM   #6
raptor_f22
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 330d M Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by imy View Post
Most offices are tbh. But then I only employ people I KNOW I will get along with. I spend more time with these guys than I do my own family so its imperative I get the right person and I can teach banking to anyone with potential... but you cant teach personality.

Chin up man, keep in touch with the right people, make a presence on LinkedIn (its great for networking in Banking - cant speak for other industries) and a dream job with a dream team may be round the corner.
Interesting, I've found the banking sector quite closed off in terms of connecting on LinkedIn. Maybe because I'm in a different sector (cyber sec). Hmm.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 05:36 AM   #7
imy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor_f22 View Post
Interesting, I've found the banking sector quite closed off in terms of connecting on LinkedIn. Maybe because I'm in a different sector (cyber sec). Hmm.
I work in Bank Treasury, so I manage analysts and dealers. A lot of what we do is execution, repos, MM trades, derivatives etc so networking with trading desks from other banks/broker is imperative.

07 E90 335i: JB4, Trebila BEF, BMS DCI, VRSF DPs, Scoops, 19" CSL Reps, 5" ETS FMIC, VTT Inlets, BMS CP, HKS BOV, BMS Meth Injection - sold
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 12:43 AM   #8
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Every place has it's problems! People get away with murder, you wonder how they got the job, the manager is in their back pocket, they have some dirt on the director, it is not who you know it is who you blow... we might not be the right fit for a company culture or the company suited to us... anyhow... I cannot recommend this title enough... it is written by a top organisational psychologist and she guides you through the political landscape of the work environment. Honestly it has been such a life saver!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Secrets-Win.../dp/0312332181

Last edited by Soul_Glo; 02-21-2017 at 01:25 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2017, 05:15 AM   #9
_Ascension_
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i - Sophisto Grey

Quote:
Looking around for other jobs, even contracting roles.

Feel like I'm stuck here for now...

So frustrating feeling I want to move on due to other rotten apples and a lack of support.
I moved into contracting last summer after the relationship with my boss at my old place becoming completely untenable, from my perspective anyway.

Best thing I ever did, feel like I've lifted myself above so much of the politics as I don't feel I need to really care about the company, rather just the job I've been hired to come in and do.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 02:33 PM   #10
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ascension_ View Post
I moved into contracting last summer after the relationship with my boss at my old place becoming completely untenable, from my perspective anyway.

Best thing I ever did, feel like I've lifted myself above so much of the politics as I don't feel I need to really care about the company, rather just the job I've been hired to come in and do.
God it sounds fantastic mate. All the newbies here are not yet aware of the politics around them. TBH I think they get paid a fraction of what the long termers have managed to pocket for themselves.
The brown nosing here turns my stomach. There are some nice people here but all the people who can affect my career are bell ends. 95% of people here are lazy or inept.
The wrong decisions are being made by clueless people at the top and they are loading their pockets. Absolute piss take.
I'm looking. Applied for 2 jobs today but I can see myself being stuck here a long time.
the thing that really gets me is how I was mistreated by a wanker here which they all knew about but seem to have now forgotten. I've been ganged up on so they can all suck that guys D**k and move up with him.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 04:00 PM   #11
Dann
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 LCi 335i

I hate my job too atm.
Got a degree in product design and work as a design engineer in R&D.
Do I do any design work? Nope
What have they got me doing? Project Management
Is that something I want to do/can do/have experience of? Fuck no

When I tell my manager how I feel (last year) he agrees and tells me that there I no more project management in my career (until I want it)

Today I have a goal setting meeting for this next year and what are my development goals? That's right to become a better project manager. WHAT THE FUCK.

He's going to be in for a shock soon when they get my notice (already applied for 2 jobs, one of which is pretty much my dream job too)
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 05:57 PM   #12
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D Xdrive Msport+

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dann View Post
I hate my job too atm.
Got a degree in product design and work as a design engineer in R&D.
Do I do any design work? Nope
What have they got me doing? Project Management
Is that something I want to do/can do/have experience of? Fuck no

When I tell my manager how I feel (last year) he agrees and tells me that there I no more project management in my career (until I want it)

Today I have a goal setting meeting for this next year and what are my development goals? That's right to become a better project manager. WHAT THE FUCK.

He's going to be in for a shock soon when they get my notice (already applied for 2 jobs, one of which is pretty much my dream job too)
Good luck with your applications, yes project management is a key skill in a design office but why your place has such an emphasis on it is worrying to me as surely being a designer, design is the fundamental side to your skill set and their business they should be developing and bringing to the front. Yes have the project management and associated skills developing at the side or in the background as they are a key skill but to suffocate a designer to the point of leaving a studio is madness. But it ultimately will be there loss as they will loose you and no doubt countless others afterwards and as a company will not develop as designers if they suffocate new blood instead of driving new ideas and styles.
      02-20-2017, 08:14 PM   #13
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RENT-A-GOAT View Post
Good luck with your applications, yes project management is a key skill in a design office but why your place has such an emphasis on it is worrying to me as surely being a designer, design is the fundamental side to your skill set and their business they should be developing and bringing to the front. Yes have the project management and associated skills developing at the side or in the background as they are a key skill but to suffocate a designer to the point of leaving a studio is madness. But it ultimately will be there loss as they will loose you and no doubt countless others afterwards and as a company will not develop as designers if they suffocate new blood instead of driving new ideas and styles.
Yes I have a degree as well and some days my job is to check text on a Web page or the alignment of a fking button while they ask the dumbasses around me to do the stuff I should be doing.

I've been there 3 times as long as they have. They don't know shit and everything I hear coming out of their mouths is plain wrong. It's so frustrating.
I don't want to sound big headed but I'm pretty smart and I could do great things but alas it's personal and that's why I do pretty much nothing. I'd say at least I get paid but dumber people than me get paid more and promoted more often for nada.

Many of them I'd fire.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 01:52 AM   #14
Dann
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 LCi 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RENT-A-GOAT View Post
Oh I completely understand that. I have no issues having to do some of it, but not manage a whole project. From my experience young engineers don't make good project managers. It's just not what they are trained to do.

Yeah. What worries me more is that when employees bring issues like this up, it seems like managers don't seem to care or pay any attention.

it's just a shame. I've been here 5 years and loved my first 3, until I got roped into being a PM. That ruined this job for me but as you said, ultimately it will be their loss.
      02-22-2017, 04:37 AM   #15
_Ascension_
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i - Sophisto Grey

Quote:
God it sounds fantastic mate. All the newbies here are not yet aware of the politics around them. TBH I think they get paid a fraction of what the long termers have managed to pocket for themselves.
The brown nosing here turns my stomach. There are some nice people here but all the people who can affect my career are bell ends. 95% of people here are lazy or inept.
The wrong decisions are being made by clueless people at the top and they are loading their pockets. Absolute piss take.
I'm looking. Applied for 2 jobs today but I can see myself being stuck here a long time.
the thing that really gets me is how I was mistreated by a wanker here which they all knew about but seem to have now forgotten. I've been ganged up on so they can all suck that guys D**k and move up with him.
I can relate to those frustrations only too well! Sounds to me like you're doing the right thing looking for positions else where.

I went through a period of thinking why should I move, when I'm doing a good job and it's others who are inept, but now, having moved I realise that there was no point in me doing a decent job for a company who didn't care- or seem to care- about the difference between someone doing a really good job and someone just getting by.

Despite a longer commute every day, I am far happier now
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 09:01 PM   #16
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ascension_ View Post
I can relate to those frustrations only too well! Sounds to me like you're doing the right thing looking for positions else where.

I went through a period of thinking why should I move, when I'm doing a good job and it's others who are inept, but now, having moved I realise that there was no point in me doing a decent job for a company who didn't care- or seem to care- about the difference between someone doing a really good job and someone just getting by.

Despite a longer commute every day, I am far happier now
Sounds good. I'll just really struggle to find anything within about 20 miles of where I work. I can be at work in about 20 mins. I don't fancy increasing that to an hour or more which is what most jobs I'm seeing will require.
I wish Karma was a thing. These irritants would dissappear and I'd be rewarded for my true abilities. Alas this is the real world. Nice guys finish last.
Appreciate 0