E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes > Walnut blast In Chicago

02-08-2016, 11:52 PM   #1
vaios55sp
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi

Walnut blast In Chicago

Is anyone familiar with a shop in the Chicago area that is able to do walnut blasting?
Any recommends
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 07:48 AM   #2
bloppitybloop
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

LukeG Workshop seems to be a popular choice.
Appreciate 1
      02-09-2016, 10:48 AM   #3
bmwmike89
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 m3, f10 m5

German Auto werks in Lake in the hills is were I got mine done on my 135i. Also a place in Schaumburg I think does it as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 10:54 AM   #4
GATORB8
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [9.50]
A&L Autobody in Palatine seems to be a regular recommendation as well, owner's name is Anthony.

Mind posting the pricing you get quoted and where you end up going?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 02:29 PM   #5
lostkhan
Lieutenant
Pakistan
Rep
Drives: 135i

I Did a little research a while ago about Walnut Blasting. I found A-Spec Tuning with good reviews. Will be getting Walnut blasting in spring.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 12:51 AM   #6
vaios55sp
Private
Rep

I've asked them there is no more A-Spec anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostkhan View Post
I Did a little research a while ago about Walnut Blasting. I found A-Spec Tuning with good reviews. Will be getting Walnut blasting in spring.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 11:42 AM   #7
trohde78
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i 6MT

What is the going rate for walnut blasting around Chicago these days? $250-$300?

I've had other work done at A&L and LukeG, and would recommend either shop.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 11:46 AM   #8
meehowhow
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i e90 Msport

I would like to know where you end up going and price as well. Thanks

2014 VW Golf TDI
2011 BMW 335i e90 - Sold
1990 BMW 535i e34 - Sold
2008 BMW 335i e92 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 06:11 PM   #9
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
You can go to E-Fab Motorsports or Performance Solutions (old aspec, new owner) both places can help you out and the only shops I would trust.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 03:49 AM   #10
vaios55sp
Private
Rep

$400 at LukeG.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trohde78 View Post
What is the going rate for walnut blasting around Chicago these days? $250-$300?

I've had other work done at A&L and LukeG, and would recommend either shop.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 05:27 PM   #11
David335i08
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i 08

649 Childs Street, Wheaton IL 60187
http://n5xmotorsport.com
They will do mine for 255 only this month 255
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 09:02 PM   #12
trohde78
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by David335i08 View Post
Were they previously BBPerformance Group?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 10:43 PM   #13
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 & E90 WTCC Widebody Racecar

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by trohde78 View Post
Were they previously BBPerformance Group?
I get a weird sketchy feeling about these guys for some reason. Maybe it's because I've been in the N54 scene for quite a while, live/work in Wheaton and have never heard of them once. I work a few blocks away from them, maybe I'll swing by to check out their facility to see if they're legit.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 12:20 AM   #14
bmwmike89
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdaft1 View Post
I get a weird sketchy feeling about these guys for some reason. Maybe it's because I've been in the N54 scene for quite a while, live/work in Wheaton and have never heard of them once. I work a few blocks away from them, maybe I'll swing by to check out their facility to see if they're legit.
I'm going to have to agree with you on that. Haven't had any work done by them but it does seem sketchy.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 09:15 AM   #15
David335i08
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i 08

Well ill be doing my oil pans gasket and valve cleaning this week and I will see how they do the job.
Luke did my oil filter housing gasket
And I had to come for second time cuz he didn't replace o ring and had to use the old ones
He didn't say nothing to me and my oil lines still leaking so I call. Him back and then he told me about oil rings
I feel like he should told me that
He replece them for free but still
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 10:33 PM   #16
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Well ill be doing my oil pans gasket and valve cleaning this week and I will see how they do the job.
Luke did my oil filter housing gasket
And I had to come for second time cuz he didn't replace o ring and had to use the old ones
He didn't say nothing to me and my oil lines still leaking so I call. Him back and then he told me about oil rings
I feel like he should told me that
He replece them for free but still
Just like with every thing, all shops are good until they are not and more often than not it is the well know and trusted mechanic shop that will disappoint.

There are so many shops especially in Chicago area that are not online, and have never been mentioned on any forum for some of us to have heard of them, and yet they will provide superior service and probably at lower rate than most of shops already mention here.

Give them a chance and let us know how things work out because, honestly, I'm tired of reading repetitive recommendation which I have started to view as sketchy.

Are these shops giving kick backs? Maybe I should get on board......
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 09:46 AM   #17
bmwmike89
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Just like with every thing, all shops are good until they are not and more often than not it is the well know and trusted mechanic shop that will disappoint.

There are so many shops especially in Chicago area that are not online, and have never been mentioned on any forum for some of us to have heard of them, and yet they will provide superior service and probably at lower rate than most of shops already mention here.

Give them a chance and let us know how things work out because, honestly, I'm tired of reading repetitive recommendation which I have started to view as sketchy.

Are these shops giving kick backs? Maybe I should get on board......
What shops do you speak of?? Although I do agree a few board members here seem to be spokesman for specific 2 or 3 shops in the area. Which 2 I have heard not so good things about. Not all the ones people suggest are bad. Also every shop no matter how good will have a bad repair or such here and there. No one is perfect.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 11:53 AM   #18
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmike89 View Post
What shops do you speak of?? Although I do agree a few board members here seem to be spokesman for specific 2 or 3 shops in the area. Which 2 I have heard not so good things about. Not all the ones people suggest are bad. Also every shop no matter how good will have a bad repair or such here and there. No one is perfect.
Yes, no one is perfect but some shops here on the forum are spoken of like they are sacred and is like you said usually from few forum members.
When you asked me what shops do I speak of were you asking about good or bad shops? Or those that no one is talking about here?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 12:17 PM   #19
bmwmike89
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yes, no one is perfect but some shops here on the forum are spoken of like they are sacred and is like you said usually from few forum members.
When you asked me what shops do I speak of were you asking about good or bad shops? Or those that no one is talking about here?
I was more of referring to the shops that people recommend here that are actually not as good as they are protaryet to be.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 12:55 PM   #20
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmike89 View Post
I was more of referring to the shops that people recommend here that are actually not as good as they are protaryet to be.
Yes, that is true and is mostly because these recommendations come either from people associated with the repair shop or people who just like herd of sheep follow the previously enhanced shop recommendation.

Neither group are professionals to give review with any bearing with me.

I have seen some bragged about paint jobs that look great to untrained eye but person with knowledge can point out the flaws even by looking at a photo.

Also have seen and work on cars that had to go to another shop shortly after where it was discovered missing parts and etc.

From my personal experience, and I have been on both ends as a customer and on/off shop worker, most of these shops made a name for themselves and a killing money wise only from people that did not now any better.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 07:16 PM   #21
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 & E90 WTCC Widebody Racecar

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, that is true and is mostly because these recommendations come either from people associated with the repair shop or people who just like herd of sheep follow the previously enhanced shop recommendation.

Neither group are professionals to give review with any bearing with me.

I have seen some bragged about paint jobs that look great to untrained eye but person with knowledge can point out the flaws even by looking at a photo.

Also have seen and work on cars that had to go to another shop shortly after where it was discovered missing parts and etc.

From my personal experience, and I have been on both ends as a customer and on/off shop worker, most of these shops made a name for themselves and a killing money wise only from people that did not now any better.
Can't help but feel that some of these comments were directed my way. Many of the forum members on here know me on a personal level. I have zero affiliation with any shop. I have had terrible experiences with some of the local shops and dealerships. I have also had some great experiences with some of the local shops.

I have a difficult time turning my keys over to someone whom I have no context behind, as I am extremely anal about my 335. That said, when I have a positive experience with a business (be it a restaurant, mechanic shop or other local business), I gladly provide my experience for the community; much as I would hope others would as well. In the spirit of transparency, I suppose that you could say that I have a vested interest in supporting these businesses for my own selfish benefit. As my referral could lead to new customers for the local business, thus ensuring that I would be able to benefit from their services in the future. But financial gain? Where do I sign up?! lol

To provide some of my specific experiences:

German Autowerks in LITH: They removed, disassembled and reinstalled my M-Factory LSD. They did a great job, fair price. Although the circumstances of dropping off my car at their house was a bit awkward (which they've apologized for, and I'm totally good with now). My only complaint is that I wish they were closer :-(

LukeG Werkshop in Roselle: I have also had work done on my 335 and e30 by Luke multiple times (suspension, fuel lines, brake lines, bushings, timing belt, etc). He's a 10 minute drive for me, so it's very convenient. I have been very happy with his services/communication and have referred many fellow BMW buddies to him who have shared similar experiences. I have always provided my own parts (partly because I buy them with the intent of doing the work myself, only to realize that I tend to bite off more than I can chew).

(formerly) A-Spec Tuning in Schaumburg : My experience has been well documented on these forums. Without going into detail, it was a dumpster fire. Poor service, terrible communication and questionable abilities.

Patrick BMW in Schaumburg: I have buddies that work there. Even with these connections, I question the dealership service model when outside of a warranty (just throw parts at it without researching the root causes). That said, I strongly prefer a trusted Indy over any dealership being out of a warranty. Even if it's my buddies working on my car.

A&L Autobody in Palatine: I used to work at a body shop in Barrington back in the day. I am far from an autobody expert, but I understand the basics of Autobody repair. When my car was nearly totaled from a rear end accident in December, I brought it to A&L in Palatine after being referred by a number of other BMW owners. Online, there were a couple of negative reviews, but the majority of reviews were positive. After a few weeks of them working on my 335, lots of mid-process update photos and lots of communication... They brought her back to life. I never expected a concours level restoration. But the paint color, finish and (most importantly), the gaps exceeded my expectation. Very happy with my experience.

Feel free to take these experiences into account or not. That said, I am a bit skeptical of new users w/ low post counts whose only posts are to recommend a new/unheard of local shop. They very well may be a legit shop, but it sounds too fishy to be an authentic review.
/endrant

And Feuer, none of this was meant as an attack towards you. If you've had experiences to the contrary with any of the above businesses, please feel free to share. Im genuinely interested for the betterment of the local community.
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2016, 09:38 PM   #22
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdaft1 View Post
Can't help but feel that some of these comments were directed my way. Many of the forum members on here know me on a personal level. I have zero affiliation with any shop.
Yes because the pattern is pretty obvious. Especially here on the regional section.
However, me and you don't know each other so none of this is directly personal.
I'm not affiliated with any shop either but I'm knowledgeable enough to become aggravated by repetetive recommendation of shops that are not all that great at all.
I'm mean, seriously!
Some forum members including yourself praise these shops so much as if you all had your umbilical cords cut there.
Although you might be genuine with your shop referals and all the reallity is that they are all affected, shops that is, by a pretty simple economic rule:
-for a customer to trully benifit from a shop thru quality affordable service and not via kick backs that shop need to be experiencing competition.
So now, how these shops will have completion if you keep referring the crowd only there?
Oh, yes (sarcasm here) other shops will start offering inexpensive services and you will automatically portray them as scetchy.
Why is that?
Because to you personally they are new in addition to doing work for less?
Same goes as how you percieve new forum members.
What should I think if you get banned, hypothetically, sign up under differend brand new name and start posting?
I engaged in small conversation with you when your car was rear ended. Even told you that the prices you are discussing are too high.
You didn't express not even the slightest curiosity where you can have the car repaired better and possibly cheaper too.
How is that helping the community? It doesn't.
It helped only one particular shop that without a doubt charged you as much as you would have spend on another accident free 335i with same or similar mods.
Please don't get me wrong but is something to be consider since other forum members have notice the patern and are negatively reacting to these recomendations.
I'm not here to make foes and we might meet on the very next local track event.
Appreciate 0