E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Low boost response and abnormal noises

07-28-2019, 12:54 PM   #1
YoMuS
Rep
Drives: 335i

Low boost response and abnormal noises

Hi everybody,

Almost two years ago I bought a 2007 335i n54 with around 31,000 miles (52,000 kms). The car's been great ever since. On january i took it to the dealership to have the oil, filters, plugs, rear brakes. The guy told me the car was a running like a beast (70,000 kms).

Only a couple of months later I noticed oil on top of the oil filter housing, which made me replace the gasket immediately to prevent any further damages.

Well, a month ago I detected a strange noise when idle coming from the injectors zone (kind of a quicker noise than the 600 rpm noise, which also could hear as normal). Started the INPA and ISTA, but no codes showed up on any of the modules, so I just waited a few days to see how it developed, but a couple of weeks ago, when pushing it, felt like a lot of power was missing, at 2,000 rpm on second gear, stepping down the accelerator, sort of two seconds lag and a 60% of power deployed. When I came back home, plugged again the computer and no codes were recorded, every digital value on INPA was measured inside the green threshold, so I have no clue where I am standing right now.

- Injectors
- Turbos
- Vacuum line
- Plugs
- HPFP
- ?

The car had the injectors campaign completed on 2010, and the HPFP replaced too.

Here's a video of the car running up after 3 minutes from cold start (78 Megabytes)

https://verystream.com/stream/iA8eMSThBiU/IMG_1529.MOV

On second #10 the first noise with higher pitch and tempo than the 600 rpm injectors.
On second #20 the second abnormal sound compared to what I was used to hear.

Sorry for the poor evidences, but if you could point me on some direction or suggesting some kind of test, it'd be great.

Thank you again!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 11:21 PM   #2
GotBoost007
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Based on the area your showing in the video it may just be a boost solenoid going out. Mine made a high pitch buzzing noise for awhile then started throwing overboost codes and I've read other posts talking about a buzzing noise coming from the solenoids. It's a $70 part from FCP Euro. Hope this helps you nail it down.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 11:56 AM   #3
YoMuS
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotBoost007 View Post
Based on the area your showing in the video it may just be a boost solenoid going out. Mine made a high pitch buzzing noise for awhile then started throwing overboost codes and I've read other posts talking about a buzzing noise coming from the solenoids. It's a $70 part from FCP Euro. Hope this helps you nail it down.
Hi GotBoost007, thanks a lot. I will take a look to it.

Any other thoughts, people?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 05:19 AM   #4
YoMuS
Rep

Hi,

I started up the engine this morning and no errors whatsoever showed in INPA. Still making the same noises although didn't move the car to check if the low boost was still present.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 05:49 AM   #5
YoMuS
Rep

up! help!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 01:20 AM   #6
mubiiii
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335xi e90 stage 2+

I had the same noise coming from the boost solenoid area. Its like a different frequency and very subtle. However, when under hard acceleration I get this type of noise:

I replaced all my vacuum lines and still made the sound. I am about to swap my boost solenoids and see if it fixes. Anyone have any ideas?
Appreciate 0