E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Advice for glue removal needed...

08-10-2019, 04:02 PM   #1
xjackhunter
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Advice for glue removal needed...

I recently had to reglue my rear view mirror mount with some auto parts store mirror glue. I managed to get it in the wrong orientation and now I don't know how to get the damn thing off to glue it in the right orientation. If anyone has suggestions please let me know. So far I have tried heat and pliers but have been unsuccessful.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 08:31 PM   #2
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Get a thin pain scraper about 1" wide.

Sharpen the tip on a grinder as sharp as possible.

Wedge it under the mount and lightly tap it sideways with a small rubber mallet until the glue releases.

Never exert force perpendicular to the windshield surface and use light taps to work the scraper in further and further.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 08:22 AM   #3
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I think opjose advice is spot on. I'd like to suggest adding a little chemistry to the process. I think you should try applying a small amount of Acetone to the adhesive and letting soak. Do this by wetting a Q-tip swab and squeezing the Acetone into the edges of the mirror button. Please if you use Acetone, cover the dashboard with a heavy cotton towel folded over a few times incase the Acetone drips off the Q-tip.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 08:38 AM   #4
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

I would exhaust chemical attempts long before I'd try mechanical efforts. Seen plenty of cracked windshields when people tried prying those things off.
Appreciate 0