E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > DIY Turbo Install for OEM Replacement E92 335i

05-25-2020, 03:31 PM   #89
Rule1977
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 335I E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonwhit97 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpa440 View Post
Very Good !
Not to start a new thread, however I am replacing my turbos soon to the best twins available (currently mmp 1000 and Vargas gc 2.0 with high flow). I have an 2009 e92 335 x drive m sport with 180000 on the clock Currently I plan on installing;
Turbos (Vargas Gc 2.0)
Catless down pipes (vrsf)
Intake with inlets (Turner hot side intake kit)
Oil pan gasket
Vargas silicon coolant lines.

I do not plan to increase hp for a a few months, mainly just doing prep. Is there any other parts people would recommend replacing/ upgrading while the subframe is dromed such as engine mounts or bushing that are much easier to get to while under the car?
Did you buy the turbos yet? Why do you say Vargus GC 2.0 or MMP 1000 are the best twins available?

Do you have an upgraded FMIC?

Engine & trans mounts are advised

New O2 sensors if they have 100k or more on them.

You will need an upgraded LPFP if you pan on running stage 2 turbos, in order to keep up with fuel demand.

I'd also recommend VRSF 2" outlets.

Personally, I think the silicone coolant lines are a waste of $$$ rust you could put elsewhere into upgrades.
Did you buy the turbos yet? Why do you say Vargus GC 2.0 or MMP 1000 are the best twins available?

You will need an upgraded LPFP if you pan on running stage 2 turbos, in order to keep up with fuel demand.

Personally, I think the silicone coolant lines are a waste of $$$ rust you could put elsewhere into upgrades.
I don't trust my lines atm I think they have a short time remaining.

With the intercooler, I meant to note that however slipped my mind. Should I do that at once or wait, seeing that I'm not planing on tuning an aggressive map anytime soon. I want to get a 7.5 however I think that would be way to big when I'm still running a stock map.

I just replaced my post cat o2s and I agree with doing the pre cat sensors.

Do I need a lpfp with turbos, I was thinking I could get away with up to 400hp with the lpfp. I plan to change it but the more I add, the longer the project waits. And I had not decided on the outlets, however yes I will be doing those with the turbos.

Regarding the turbos, I was looking at pure ALOT, however they advertise 700 topping out the turbo, same with rn. The end goal is a 600 hp reliable daily with a remap to 80 or so, no I plan on a lot to get there, just see the rbs and pure not reliably holding this numbers out the block. (I plan on doing a closed desk eventually). But if you have other experience or knowledge, my ears are wide open.

Baslicly the end goal is big poer, just doing maintiance and I don't mind "wasting" money on performance I won't see till later if it's easier to do now with out major performance downsides prior to tuning
You can save some $$ by just replacing the radiator hoses with OEM. I have 174,000 miles on my N54 & 90% of my hoses are original from 2007.

I did replace 90% of the o-rings 2 months ago when I replaced the original radiator!

As far as turbos, I'd get RB stage 2 plus. For the money, you can't lose. His turbos have almost a 0% failure rate. They are also under rated. Last, if you pay him by check or cash, he will knock off $300.00. No other company will that! RB was one of the original guys to start modding turbos on the N54 platform. There's no substitute for experience!

The other two brands of turbos you mentioned have higher failure rates.... FYI..

You will need 2" inlets & outlets. VRSF makes both.

If you don't have a catch can, you should get one & clean your intake valves.

If you upgrade the turbos, you will need at least a Walboro 450 stage 2 LPFP. You can make your own for under $150.00, if you follow the DIY's etc. once you get past 525hp, you'll probably need to upgrade to a stage 3 pump.

I don't think a 7.5" FMIC is going to be overkill for a stock tune. You'll just have really, really cool air going to the turbos until you upgrade to MHD 2+. I'd use a Wedge Tune to get beyond 500 HP & up to 600hp.

To get to 600hp, you'll probably need:

2 steps colder plugs @ .018 gap
Stage 3 fuel pump
Upgraded coils
MSD081 DME (more reliable at 600hp)
Index 12 injectors
New or relatively new gaskets coupled with Ultra Black, on all the major weak points such as Oil Pan, RMS, VC, Front Crank Seal,
New transmission solenoids & megatronic sleeves (you should probably do that if you are over 150,000 miles)
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Very Good !
Not to start a new thread, however I am replacing my turbos soon to the best twins available (currently mmp 1000 and Vargas gc 2.0 with high flow). I have an 2009 e92 335 x drive m sport with 180000 on the clock Currently I plan on installing;
Turbos (Vargas Gc 2.0)
Oil pan gasket

I do not plan to increase hp for a a few months, mainly just doing prep. Is there any other parts people would recommend replacing/ upgrading while the subframe is dromed such as engine mounts or bushing that are much easier to get to while under the car?

With the intercooler, I meant to note that however slipped my mind. Should I do that at once or wait, seeing that I'm not planing on tuning an aggressive map anytime soon. I want to get a 7.5 however I think that would be way to big when I'm still running a stock map.

Do I need a lpfp with turbos, I was thinking I could get away with up to 400hp with the lpfp. I plan to change it but the more I add, the longer the project waits. And I had not decided on the outlets, however yes I will be doing those with the turbos.

Regarding the turbos, I was looking at pure ALOT, however they advertise 700 topping out the turbo, same with rn. The end goal is a 600 hp reliable daily with a remap to 80 or so, no I plan on a lot to get there, just see the rbs and pure not reliably holding this numbers out the block. (I plan on doing a closed desk eventually). But if you have other experience or knowledge, my ears are wide open.

Baslicly the end goal is big poer, just doing maintiance and I don't mind "wasting" money on performance I won't see till later if it's easier to do now with out major performance downsides prior to tuning
You can save some $$ by just replacing the radiator hoses with OEM. I have 174,000 miles on my N54 & 90% of my hoses are original from 2007.

I did replace 90% of the o-rings 2 months ago when I replaced the original radiator!

As far as turbos, I'd get RB stage 2 plus. For the money, you can't lose. His turbos have almost a 0% failure rate. They are also under rated. Last, if you pay him by check or cash, he will knock off $300.00. No other company will that! RB was one of the original guys to start modding turbos on the N54 platform. There's no substitute for experience!

The other two brands of turbos you mentioned have higher failure rates.... FYI..

If you upgrade the turbos, you will need at least a Walboro 450 stage 2 LPFP. You can make your own for under $150.00, if you follow the DIY's etc. once you get past 525hp, you'll probably need to upgrade to a stage 3 pump.

I don't think a 7.5" FMIC is going to be overkill for a stock tune. You'll just have really, really cool air going to the turbos until you upgrade to MHD 2+. I'd use a Wedge Tune to get beyond 500 HP & up to 600hp.

Stage 3 fuel pump
Upgraded coils
Index 12 injectors
New or relatively new gaskets coupled with Ultra Black, on all the major weak points such as Oil Pan, RMS, VC, Front Crank Seal,
New transmission solenoids & megatronic sleeves (you should probably do that if you are over 150,000 miles)
Perfect, I've done a lot, already have index 12, done the crank seal and have a new csf radiator
Correct me if I'm ending but a mt doesn't have transmission solenoids correct. And my inlets will be the 2in provided with the hot side intake
Cal concert gasket was replaced already. Have upgraded coils. And your saying if I were to instal the turbos today and drive away I would need a lpfp or if u do any tune after I'll need them. Is there a preferred 7.5 intercooler I know they run into figment and cutting the bumper, just want the "right" one. Not trying to cheap out with this project. And I know I need to do the carbon cleaning, after turbos, one of the 1st mods will be. Doc race manifold and cleaning.
W/ out a tune, I don't think you'd need a stage 2 pump on upgraded turbos, as long as your OEM pump is healthy. In other words, it sits at 72 psi at idol & never dips below 60psi at WOT.

I forgot to mention the HPFP. There's an upgrade for that, which you will need if you plan on hitting 600hp w/ out any hiccups
Additionally, someone said pures are reliable, however cost to much, I makes out the mmp, gc 2.0, rb, and pure. They are all within $200 ecs per the pure which is 1000 abuse average, however includes a 600 core return charge. Making it 400 more. Is that the cost you spoke of or am I missing something. (That doesn't include the $300 under the table fee for rb)
The RB stage 2 plus would be $1899.00 out the door, after the $300.00 core charge (or you send them in in advance - either way). This is assuming you pay him cash or check. He knocks off an additional $300.00.

If you email or call him, he gets back with you right away. He's very knowledgeable and doesn't try to sell you something you don't need.[/QUOTE]

The RB stage 2 plus would be $1899.00 out the door, after the $300.00 core charge (or you send them in in advance - either way). This is assuming you pay him cash or check. He knocks off an additional $300.00.

If you email or call him, he gets back with you right away. He's very knowledgeable and doesn't try to sell you something you don't need.[/QUOTE]

These are the turbos I would be getting from rb, and there is not a core charge since they are the td04 housing, where do you get 1800?[/QUOTE]

Because those are the GF's and what he's talking about are the RB Two Plus.. different turbos.
NRW CARBON COWL FILTERS - TIAL BOV
VRSF 7.5 RACE FMIC - VRSF INLETS - VRSF OUTLETS - VRSF DOWNPIPES
BMS PEDAL TUNER - VTT DUAL CATCH CANS
3.5 BAR TMAP - NGK 97506 PLUGS
H@R SPRINGS - NRW V1 PADDLES
PFS STAGE 3 LPFP - PFS V2 PORT INJECTION
MOSSELMAN OIL THERMOSTAT
MISHIMOTO 25 ROW OIL COOLER
SPOOL PERFORMANCE ETHANOL ANALYZER
MISHIMOTO 15 ROW TRANSMISSION COOLER
ZIMMERMAN DRILLED ROTORS - EBC REDSTUFF PADS
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 03:44 PM   #90
brandonwhit97
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 e46 M3 e92 335 xdrive e

Garage List
1990 BMW M3  [0.00]
2003 BMW M3  [0.00]
2009 335i xdrive  [0.00]
Ok, thanks for the clarification
      05-25-2020, 04:07 PM   #91
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Very Good !
Turbos (Vargas Gc 2.0)
Oil pan gasket

Stage 3 fuel pump
Upgraded coils
Index 12 injectors
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Very Good !
Turbos (Vargas Gc 2.0)
Oil pan gasket

Stage 3 fuel pump
Upgraded coils
Index 12 injectors
Perfect, I've done a lot, already have index 12, done the crank seal and have a new csf radiator
Correct me if I'm ending but a mt doesn't have transmission solenoids correct. And my inlets will be the 2in provided with the hot side intake
Cal concert gasket was replaced already. Have upgraded coils. And your saying if I were to instal the turbos today and drive away I would need a lpfp or if u do any tune after I'll need them. Is there a preferred 7.5 intercooler I know they run into figment and cutting the bumper, just want the "right" one. Not trying to cheap out with this project. And I know I need to do the carbon cleaning, after turbos, one of the 1st mods will be. Doc race manifold and cleaning.
W/ out a tune, I don't think you'd need a stage 2 pump on upgraded turbos, as long as your OEM pump is healthy. In other words, it sits at 72 psi at idol & never dips below 60psi at WOT.

I forgot to mention the HPFP. There's an upgrade for that, which you will need if you plan on hitting 600hp w/ out any hiccups
Additionally, someone said pures are reliable, however cost to much, I makes out the mmp, gc 2.0, rb, and pure. They are all within $200 ecs per the pure which is 1000 abuse average, however includes a 600 core return charge. Making it 400 more. Is that the cost you spoke of or am I missing something. (That doesn't include the $300 under the table fee for rb)

These are the turbos I would be getting from rb, and there is not a core charge since they are the td04 housing, where do you get 1800?[/QUOTE]
The RB stage 2 plus are T3. They are rated at 575hp. Keep in mind his turbos are very much under rated. You could easily run 600hp on those turbos.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Rule1977194.50
      05-25-2020, 05:15 PM   #92
brandonwhit97
Private
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
1990 BMW M3  [0.00]
2003 BMW M3  [0.00]
2009 335i xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Very Good !
Turbos (Vargas Gc 2.0)
Oil pan gasket

Stage 3 fuel pump
Upgraded coils
Index 12 injectors
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Very Good !
Turbos (Vargas Gc 2.0)
Oil pan gasket

Stage 3 fuel pump
Upgraded coils
Index 12 injectors

If you email or call him, he gets back with you right away. He's very knowledgeable and doesn't try to sell you something you don't need.

The RB stage 2 plus are T3. They are rated at 575hp. Keep in mind his turbos are very much under rated. You could easily run 600hp on those turbos.[/QUOTE]
Ah ok. I'm looking to daily in the 550 range and remap even higher to 700s, and not be at the top limits of the turbo at 700s
      06-07-2020, 11:14 AM   #93
brandonwhit97
Private
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
1990 BMW M3  [0.00]
2003 BMW M3  [0.00]
2009 335i xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Very Good !
Turbos (Vargas Gc 2.0)
Oil pan gasket

Stage 3 fuel pump
Upgraded coils
Index 12 injectors
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Very Good !
Turbos (Vargas Gc 2.0)
Oil pan gasket

Stage 3 fuel pump
Upgraded coils
Index 12 injectors

If you email or call him, he gets back with you right away. He's very knowledgeable and doesn't try to sell you something you don't need.

The RB stage 2 plus are T3. They are rated at 575hp. Keep in mind his turbos are very much under rated. You could easily run 600hp on those turbos.[/QUOTE]
Ah ok. I'm looking to daily in the 550 range and remap even higher to 700s, and not be at the top limits of the turbo at 700s[/QUOTE]
Couple more questions for everyone. I'd like to note, I spoke with rob extensively and was very pleased with not only the knowledge he shared about his products and competition products, but also products from 3rd party companies that could potentially be used in unison with his turbos. My big question today is, I plan on upgrading my manifold and walnut blasting about a month or so after my turbo instal. (I don't want to do too much at once, it's easier to chases out issues like this) I currently have a aluminum charge pipe (bmw I believe) with dv ports. I plan on doing hot side intakes with turbo instal, there Ye preventing the use of the dv. I'm leaning towards the docrace manifold which uses a custom charge pipe and bov. Long story short I don't want to buy a new charge pipe for a month just to put the doc on right after. For light use (maybe 300 miles) just having the dvs connected to the charge pipe, and vent to atmosphere. The physics behind it initially make sense. Does anyone for-see and major issues for a temp set up? Or a possible way to temp convert my dv mount to bov? And I will be running stock boost at this point.
      11-25-2020, 07:36 PM   #94
Dad2142Dad
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Great write up Mr. Knuckle. Have a 09 335i putting oil out the passenger side tail pipe. Starting to get the parts together. Question, I have a engine lift. But I actually think that might in the way. If your still here, can you please comment on the lift vs bar?
Appreciate 1
AndyW667.50
      03-15-2023, 03:44 AM   #95
lucky0807tw
Registered
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

感謝您的分享~~~
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 05:22 PM   #96
mj6234
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I know this is an old thread, but hoping someone can answer a question here.

I have GC Lites now with about 95K miles on them. I am pretty sure something in the WG assembly has failed and looking at replacing them. Since I already have the v-band manifolds, planning on just disconnecting the v-band and swapping the turbos.

The question - in my case (since I am not pulling the manifolds), does the subframe need to be dropped? Or is there enough room to pull the coolant lines/oil lines/turbos without dropping the subframe? Or is it just easier to drop it anyway?
Appreciate 0