E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Retrofited E9X Steptronic Gear shifter

03-16-2017, 08:08 PM   #705
NightStalker
Rep
Drives: Audi

heres my link for this kit I'm selling

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1350728
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 11:09 PM   #706
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Deep Sea Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Car View Post

When I create my YouTube diy video your kit will sell. It sucks because I can't get to my car to do any work because of this damn New York weather and snow.
During the winter months or rather during shitty winter salt snow weather i garage my car at my parents house 25 miles away from where I live.

So until we get warm weather and no more snow blizzard days I can't finish my e90 projects. Should be done by next weekend and once people see how nice it looks and functions your kit will sell.

Also try eBay.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE MY BMW E90 MODS:
http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...Mod&UcId=20832
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 11:22 PM   #707
NightStalker
Rep
Drives: Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Car View Post

When I create my YouTube diy video your kit will sell. It sucks because I can't get to my car to do any work because of this damn New York weather and snow.
During the winter months or rather during shitty winter salt snow weather i garage my car at my parents house 25 miles away from where I live.

So until we get warm weather and no more snow blizzard days I can't finish my e90 projects. Should be done by next weekend and once people see how nice it looks and functions your kit will sell.

Also try eBay.
Yeah I have a lot of tweaks coming up as well. Good thing my spring break starts this weekend
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 11:34 PM   #708
schulrog
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 645CiC

crazy how many views and replies this thread has acquired!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 06:55 PM   #709
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by schulrog View Post
crazy how many views and replies this thread has acquired!
It is not over yet! I just joined the party.
Because of the snow and cold weather we've been having in NYC I've had no chances to finish my version of this retrofit.

I'm planning to cut the stalk using a dremel to fit the shifter like a glove. Meaning the cut tip must be angled to match the shifter's neck. I also want to create notches on the cut stalk to fit the fins inside the neck

I've considered all the angles on how and if it can be reversible but no success.

At best you either live with it or reverse it by replacing the Shifter assembly which in itself is not expensive or brain surgery.

Another way is if you get a a clean cut and keep the cut off tip then solder it on later on

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 04:59 PM   #710
schulrog
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

you can't solder it back on, that'd never work.. welding maybe but wouldn't recommend it in that area bc of the sparks flying unless you lay non flammable material down everywhere. the only think i could think of that was quick and functional is a pipe clamp of some sort.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 03:32 PM   #711
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
you can't solder it back on, that'd never work.. welding maybe but wouldn't recommend it in that area bc of the sparks flying unless you lay non flammable material down everywhere. the only think i could think of that was quick and functional is a pipe clamp of some sort.
That is it!

This mod is in fact FULLY reversible with the use of a $3 sleeve pipe clamp.

However it would only work if you did ONE clean cut of the stalk.

To reverse put the stalk back together. Use a fitted sleeve that covers the cut at least 1 inch below and 1 inch above (most clamps have a firm rubber gasket along the inner wall to provide a tight grip). After sliding the clamp over the stalk just bolt the sleeve clamp closed and voila.

Then slide back on the original E90 shifter. The original shifter's plastic spine will sink in below the cut so any force from shift will be shared along the full length of the stalk.

It is a little "Mad Max Fury Road" but it should work to secure the original shifter back onto a previously cut stalk.

Only thing is you have to make only 1 clean cut when you cut the stalk for your DCT shifter and you make sure you don't lose the end you cut off.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 06:19 PM   #712
SlimE92
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 N54

Does anyone know if you still have to cut the stalk if your using the m dct shifter knob?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 05:06 PM   #713
schulrog
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

if you are referring to the sphere looking one then no. for that one you do not have to cut the stalk.
Appreciate 1
SlimE92185.50
      04-15-2017, 07:39 PM   #714
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimE92 View Post
Does anyone know if you still have to cut the stalk if your using the m dct shifter knob?
Not for the M shifter. It will sit higher than oem but it will fit without cutting.

I was also considering this but I don't think motivemods ship that particular shifter with the sport plate.

Last edited by delmarco; 04-15-2017 at 07:58 PM..
Appreciate 1
SlimE92185.50
      04-15-2017, 07:43 PM   #715
schulrog
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

sure do! https://www.motivemods.com/BMWRetrof.../mm-sst-m3.htm
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
delmarco494.00
      04-15-2017, 08:01 PM   #716
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nice. Yeah from that picture I would cut the stalk. It sits too high.
Still I think a cut would be less severe that the bigger dct shifter.

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 08:02 PM   #717
schulrog
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

When using the M shifter the stalk should NOT be cut. it sits perfectly and snaps into place, which would no longer work if you cut the stalk. perhaps the pic doesn't do it justice but it sits quite a bit shorter than the oem knob and sits at the exact same height as if the car came OEM with the M shifter.

Last edited by schulrog; 04-15-2017 at 09:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2017, 11:07 AM   #718
SlimE92
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 N54

Quote:
When using the M shifter the stalk should NOT be cut. it sits perfectly and snaps into place, which would no longer work if you cut the stalk. perhaps the pic doesn't do it justice but it sits quite a bit shorter than the oem knob and sits at the exact same height as if the car came OEM with the M shifter.
Looks good to me just like that. I would probably want to wrap it in an alcantara boot with manual shift plate. Pm sent
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 10:05 AM   #719
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep

I'm going into this extremely nervous but I will attempt this over the weekend.

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 10:48 AM   #720
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep

Sorry guys!

I been so busy this Spring season with other things that I never got around to completing my retrofit.

I still have the kit at home, on my nightstand of all places, ready to install. I also purchased a Dremel 4000 kit for the cutting of the stalk

However, It just occurred to me that when taking the car into service has anyone had the unfortunate occurrence where a shop guy, at the BMW Dealership or other place, put the car accidentally into Reverse because the presence of the DCT shifter confused them?

On the DCT E90/E92/335is cars that have this shifter from the factory you have to pull back to the first notch put the car into D and push forward to R. But with the MotiveMod DCT retrofit pulling back to the first notch puts the car into R (reverse).

Last edited by delmarco; 06-22-2017 at 10:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 11:08 AM   #721
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep

Here is the new version of the LED DCT Shifter as seen on the new budget X BMW vehicles.

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 10:40 PM   #722
fastestbox
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 323iT

Until today, I thought the non-electronic shifter assembly was directly connected to the transmission, but now I see that it's an independent system that tells the transmission what gear to be in. That means the 335is DCT shifter should be plug and play right? Or at least with some different wiring?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2017, 02:13 PM   #723
schulrog
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'm not completely sure what you are referencing to but the steptronic shifters change between P,R,N,D with a cable that runs to the transmission. The DCT does everything electronically. The new X which is shown in the video above is still steptronic since you move the shifter from P to R to N to D. there is no tap up or down to move to the different drive modes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastestbox View Post
Until today, I thought the non-electronic shifter assembly was directly connected to the transmission, but now I see that it's an independent system that tells the transmission what gear to be in. That means the 335is DCT shifter should be plug and play right? Or at least with some different wiring?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2017, 02:14 PM   #724
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastestbox View Post
Yes and no.

Yes you can plug and play a DCT shifter into an E90 when doing a full DCT tranny swap as done in this rather expensive DIY retrofit of a full tran unit from a DCT to a AT 3 series:

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22016

The DCT shifter to be used as it was intended requires not only a DCT capable transmission underneath the surface...

....but you also need a myriad of other parts as well.

DCT Tranny - 2100$
Rear Diff - 400$
Flywheel - 1050$
MSD81 - 1050$
JBFE3 - 300$
DSC Unit + sensor - 400$
All other parts 1000-1300$
plus other miscellaneous parts and labor costs $1500 - $3000

Once those parts are in the car then you can drop in your DCT shifter, plug it in with fingers crossed and if it works have fun.

but....

No because led DCT shift knob uses a different wiring schematic (same wiring-function for the core transmission shift function) than the regular AT knob and base plate.

In a away Motive Mod DCT retrofit kit has recognized the overall wiring-function to be the same between the DCT knob and AT shift plate indicator for gear selection and "telling" the transmission what to do.

All the the kit is really doing is matching the wiring schematic between the DCT shift knob and base plate. So from the car's point of view NOTHING HAS BEEN CHANGED since the wiring-function remains the same.

From the driver's point of view we see the DCT shift knob in place of the old AT knob and we shift the DCT knob just as we did with the old AT knob to select our gears.

Quote:
I'm not completely sure what you are referencing to but the steptronic shifters change between P,R,N,D with a cable that runs to the transmission. The DCT does everything electronically. The new X which is shown in the video above is still steptronic since you move the shifter from P to R to N to D. there is no tap up or down to move to the different drive modes.
Yeah the new shifters are NOT the same as the DCT shifters in terms of how they function. These new shifters move into notches along a rail that select the gear shown on the LED display. EXACTLY like our AT/Steptronic shift knobs. The DCT shifter is a spring-back-to-center shifter. Where you select your gear and the knob springs back to a center position.

So perhaps the new X shifter can be "plug and play" retrofitted to our older E90 AT steptronic cars since on the surface it is using the notch and rail mechanism to select gears. This is also hoping the wiring schematics are the same under the surface.

Last edited by delmarco; 07-05-2017 at 03:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2017, 03:48 PM   #725
Terraphantm
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
Yes and no.

Yes you can plug and play a DCT shifter into an E90 when doing a full DCT tranny swap as done in this rather expensive DIY retrofit of a full tran unit from a DCT to a AT 3 series:

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22016

The DCT shifter to be used as it was intended requires not only a DCT capable transmission underneath the surface...

....but you also need a myriad of other parts as well.

DCT Tranny - 2100$
Rear Diff - 400$
Flywheel - 1050$
MSD81 - 1050$
JBFE3 - 300$
DSC Unit + sensor - 400$
All other parts 1000-1300$
plus other miscellaneous parts and labor costs $1500 - $3000

Once those parts are in the car then you can drop in your DCT shifter, plug it in with fingers crossed and if it works have fun.
You could probably use the E60 535 mechatronics and have it functional with the full electronic shifting since the LCI E60s use basically the same shifter with their steptronic transmissions. Even that's more work than it's worth probably.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2017, 08:51 AM   #726
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terraphantm View Post
You could probably use the E60 535 mechatronics and have it functional with the full electronic shifting since the LCI E60s use basically the same shifter with their steptronic transmissions. Even that's more work than it's worth probably.
Yeah I agree Terra a 2008 535i LCI E60 with the sport DCT shifter would be easier and cheaper to come by than sourcing parts and getting the labor to retrofit it onto a E90. You can buy that car from the low $7,000 in satisfactory condition and a lot of miles to the mid teens for one in mint condition and low miles.

Transplanting an entire tranny with the DCT will cost you time and money and who is to say how great it will work out when said and done.

I am just happy with the Motive Mod LED shift knob as it in this simple retrofit. It just needs to sit low tho...

Appreciate 0