E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Android auto upgrade - Interface unit or plug/play screen

12-20-2023, 04:32 AM   #1
Simpitt
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 323i

Cool Android auto upgrade - Interface unit or plug/play screen

Hi... thinking of upgrading from the standard CIC display to android auto/apple car play setup.

Is it better to go for an interface unit using original screen or a plug/play screen (with Android software etc installed I assume) with original head unit?

My car - 2011 323i with the "small" CIC display.

I am confused as to what is the best option... any comments appreciated.

Cheers !!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 05:28 AM   #2
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i MSport DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
The Apple CarPlay interface is designed with touch interface in mind and so it’s easier to use that way

Downside is it’s not ideally located in an e series

I have the interceptor box and use the Idrive knob to steer around. It’s chinesium (has bugs in the software and struggles to connect sometimes) once connected though it’s brilliant. I use Siri to start navigation and music. Works a charm

The zero to60 YouTube channel did a bunch of reviews/install vids
      12-20-2023, 02:41 PM   #3
Simpitt
Registered
Rep

Cheers... ill check out the YouTube videos
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 10:14 PM   #4
Tnulegaue
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 5

I also only use apple car play for peace of mind. I found it very easy to operate so I felt quite satisfied using it
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 12:48 AM   #5
AndyTTR
Shadetree Mechanic
Rep
Drives: E91 335i LCI

You've probably already sorted this by now, but thought I'd chime in for those looking for info in the future.

As mentioned, CarPlay works with the iDrive knob only but it's much better with a touch interface. Plus the higher resolution of a modern LCD display makes a significant difference.

I installed an Android display in my CIC equipped E91 LCI back in 2022. My recommendations would be;
  • Buy a unit with the latest CPU and version of Android which is available at the time. You're super unlikely to see a firmware update once the unit has been shipped.
  • Add up the total cost of the unit landed in Australia. Most times, the cheaper AliExpress units work out close to the same price as ones from local / US / Euro sellers with better after-sales support.
  • If you're planning to install a reversing camera or DAB receiver it's going to be easiest to install them at the same time.
  • Don't pay more for 'wireless CarPlay / Android Auto' adaptors. From Android 11 onward the units can host wireless connections using the built in WiFi and Bluetooth adaptors.

After a stack of research, I settled on the AvinUSA version (Android 11 6GB RAM + 128GB Internal Storage, Qualcomm Snapdragon). Yeah, it's the same hardware as you'd find on AliExpress - but they have great customer support and an excellent self-help support site. They've been doing BMW Android head units since the 2000's. At the time, the exchange rate was favorable so it worked out the same as buying from China anyway. After a few initial teething problems (of my own making) I've had no problems with the unit or CarPlay. Wired / wireless AndroidAuto was a massive pain though, eventually I gave up and switched to an iPhone.

HTH!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 01:38 AM   #6
Simpitt
Registered
Rep

Hi Guys, thanks for your input.

I have fitted a unit sold by Euro Active Retrofits. It was plug and play pretty much and uses the CIC controller as an input if desired (although also touch screen). I had it fitted up and working within 1.5 hours and functionality seems OK. All I wanted was APPLECARPLAY/ANDROID AUTO (not really interested in other options) and it does everything I was expecting.

Even though the device supports wireless carplay I always just plug the phone into USB that I routed up and into the existing "old skool" phone cradle in the center console (nothing visible). Press the CIC menu button and the CIC display is all there so all original functionality still exists, touch the screen and your back into CarPlay.... no real dramas to be honest with you.

As for reliability time will tell I suppose but so far I cannot fault the device.

https://euroactiveretrofits.com.au/p...f30ecc26&_ss=c

Thanks,
Simon
Appreciate 0