E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > H&R Springs and New Billstein Shocks - wtf?

04-11-2022, 10:03 PM   #1
jibalnikaskauda
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 Sedan 328I

H&R Springs and New Billstein Shocks - wtf?

Seriously.............what the fuck is going on?

Car is a bit wobbly after installing H&R sport springs, bilstein shocks and all the hardware to mount struts and springs. Rear end is unpredictable when I hit a big bump, car had blown front shocks but it was on rails, now it's a 7 series boat not a e90 3 series......

Alignment shop has the car right now, noticed rear was toed in after install (fucked with hubcentric bolts on the lower arms) and I knocked off all the weights from one of the wheels.

Will the alignment fix these issue? Or is this upgrade turned my ride into a nightmare? I'm about to say fuck it all and buy coilovers......
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 03:38 PM   #2
rothwem
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i Wagon

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Seriously, all the DIYs say to get an alignment after doing any suspension work. I'd be extremely surprised if that does not fix the problem.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 09:48 PM   #3
jibalnikaskauda
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 Sedan 328I

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothwem View Post
Seriously, all the DIYs say to get an alignment after doing any suspension work. I'd be extremely surprised if that does not fix the problem.
Alignment did fix most of the problems, besides the bouncy ride, but I was expecting it due to all the reviews.

I realized last night after posting that my swaybar end links need to be changed in the front. I don't see these affecting alignment so I'll get at it this weekend. Thanks for the response my man!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2022, 12:01 PM   #4
thakid22
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Bmw M340i M-Sport w/ VDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibalnikaskauda View Post
Alignment did fix most of the problems, besides the bouncy ride, but I was expecting it due to all the reviews.

I realized last night after posting that my swaybar end links need to be changed in the front. I don't see these affecting alignment so I'll get at it this weekend. Thanks for the response my man!
Is your bounciness coming from the back of the car???
If so, your answer is to buy a set of Dinan rear upper strut mounts.
You will see why, when you get the old Bmw mounts and Dinan mounts side by side in your hands...
The BMW mounts are super soft and squishy. They are made of foam, that compresses quite easily. This was done to accommodate 1st gen runflat tires with ultra stiff sidewalls.
If you are running newer runflats, or especially, go flat tires, you are in for a bit of pogo/bounce at the rear.

Dinans firm this up and gain you about 10mm more suspension travel. Stop what you are doing and go buy some Dinan mounts now! You can thank me later. Lol! Seriously though, you will love the difference.
Dinans are about $100, last I checked.

Some people have said they got similar results with Monroe upper rear strut mounts. I have not personally trued the Monroes but they should do the job. They run only about $20. However, I have heard complaints of increased road noise and harshness of the Monroes.

Spend the extra $$$ and get the Dinans. They truly have no downside. Don't pay a shop to install these if you have tools. You just remove one nut on each strut top and they come right out.

I wrote a thread on all of this, I'll come back and post it when I find it.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2022, 12:03 PM   #5
thakid22
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Bmw M340i M-Sport w/ VDC

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1024256
Appreciate 0