E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > CSF Race Radiator drain plug

03-14-2024, 04:06 PM   #1
twtcad
Rep
Drives: BMW x5

CSF Race Radiator drain plug

I have an 07 335i that the PO installed the CSF Race Radiator #7046. Well I have discovered the aluminum drain plug that comes with it is stripped, the threads are trash. But the radiator itself looks fine. So I need a new drain plug. It's holding water now by replacing the oring. But I do not trust it for driving, car is parked until I sort this out. I've been calling & emailing CSF about this issue. CSF claims I have to speak to the "Race" department for this radiator. I've emailed, called 10x and I've spoken to other departments that claim they have emailed them my info. This has been going on for 3 weeks, thankfully this isn't my only car but it's the most modded and fun to drive so I'm missing it.
Does anyone know the spec's on this drain plug or how to source a replacement? I know the OEM has 2 different types, but this isn't OEM and the one that came out of it doesn't match the OEM style. Can a generic plug fit in there or an OEM style? I'm at a loss here and I either need to replace the the radiator with a non CSF type. I don't want to hate on CSF, but this is ridiculous.
Thank you for any and all help.......Todd
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 10:11 PM   #2
Nando_e90
Second Lieutenant
El Salvador
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

Maybe a brass drain plug from rockauto works for you:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...n+petcock,2176
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 06:18 AM   #3
Sgop335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e92, 08 535i

auto or manual? Control sleeve or plug?
It is ridiculous that they cant provide a plug.
      03-15-2024, 08:15 AM   #4
twtcad
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nando_e90 View Post
Maybe a brass drain plug from rockauto works for you:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...n+petcock,2176
Unfortunately this is an aluminum radiator and you shouldn't use bass, but thank you for the suggestion. I also do not know if the threads are the same as a BMW drain plug. If they are I could use a plastic one......
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 08:18 AM   #5
twtcad
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgop335 View Post
auto or manual? Control sleeve or plug?
It is ridiculous that they cant provide a plug.
It's an automatic and this race radiator is all aluminum and is the same radiator for standard or automatic which is different from OEM. And it does not have a control sleeve like OEM.

This is from their website:
"CSF #7046 – MSRP $609 USD/map $549 usd
2-Row 42mm Core (Dual Core) Featuring CSF’s Exclusive B-Tube Technology
Core Features an Ultra-Efficient Fin with 6.5mm Fin Height and Multi-Louvered Design for Maximum Surface Area Contact
CNC Machined “Quick-Connect” Inlet/Outlet Connections
CNC Machined Brackets and Fittings for Superb Fit and Durability
All-Aluminum Race Style Drain Plug
Smooth Satin Finish
“Drop-in Fit” Requiring No Modifications to Install – Accepts All Attaching OEM Components Including “Quick-Connect” Hoses, AC Condenser, Mounting Brackets and Fan Shroud
Fits: 2011+ BMW 1 Series M, 08-11 BMW 135i, 07-11 BMW 335, 2009+ BMW Z4 sDrive30i sDrive35i"
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 08:24 AM   #6
twtcad
Rep

Update.....finally Alan from CSF emailed me about an hour after posting this and said:
"Hi Todd,

Thank you for reaching out and for your patience. We have a number of team members who are currently out on the road traveling to events and are a little spread thin to say the least.

Both vendors are correct as we actually do not sell the drain plugs separately as replacement items.

I am out of the office today but I will check and follow up with you if I have any spare drain plugs available. If not, I’ll touch base with engineering to see if we can get you the specs needed.

--

Best Regards,"

So I am extremely hopeful he can find a drain plug or at least tell me the specs so I can get a generic plug, assuming one would work. Once I do get more info I will update this in case anyone else runs into this. I'm actually shocked that I can not find any info about this online.
Appreciate 0