E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > e91 front bump installation

03-13-2024, 11:33 AM   #1
andy_sun
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 318d

e91 front bump installation

Apologies if I ask something that might seem simple; this is my first DIY project.

I'm working on fixing and reinstalling the front bumper of my BMW 318d 2009 M Sport. Unfortunately, I've lost a bolt for a bracket part, which I believe is part number 18 in the digram below, though I'm not entirely sure this is the correct assembly diagram. Could anyone kindly help me identify the specifications of this bolt? I believe it's an 8mm hex, but I'm uncertain about the length, I suspect it is a long one. Thank you.

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-i3kt...526799.jpg?c=1
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 12:16 PM   #2
eljay
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M + E91

The diagram you linked is for an F30 bumper.
You need this diagram:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_7022

Which bracket are you referring to? The fog light bracket?
Left/Right sides of the bumper are symmetrical, so I would just take the bolt from the same spot on the other side and bring it to a hardware store and get a matching bolt.

The link above even gives some of the bolt specs in the description. For example, 07147129160 is ST4,8X16MM, so it tells you it's 16mm long with 4.8 metric pitch.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 01:49 PM   #3
andy_sun
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay View Post
The diagram you linked is for an F30 bumper.
You need this diagram:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_7022

Which bracket are you referring to? The fog light bracket?
Left/Right sides of the bumper are symmetrical, so I would just take the bolt from the same spot on the other side and bring it to a hardware store and get a matching bolt.

The link above even gives some of the bolt specs in the description. For example, 07147129160 is ST4,8X16MM, so it tells you it's 16mm long with 4.8 metric pitch.

Thank you a lot for point me to the right direction. The bracket I am try to fasten is BMW E90 E91 Front Left Bumper Bracket Insert 7134097 51117134097. Sorry try to link the picture but not be able to.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 04:12 PM   #4
jsunma
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 328iT 6MT RWD

Well, on my car (2008 E91), that part is held on by either an "expanding rivet" or a screw. Pictures of both are attached.

Here in the US, either one of those costs less than a dollar if you want to go purchase them from a parts place....although if I were you, I'd just go to the hardware store and see what you can find. I replaced this part (same part number as yours) on my car and attached it with some random screw and trim fastener I had in my random hardware box.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 06:58 PM   #5
andy_sun
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsunma View Post
Well, on my car (2008 E91), that part is held on by either an "expanding rivet" or a screw. Pictures of both are attached.

Here in the US, either one of those costs less than a dollar if you want to go purchase them from a parts place....although if I were you, I'd just go to the hardware store and see what you can find. I replaced this part (same part number as yours) on my car and attached it with some random screw and trim fastener I had in my random hardware box.
Hi, thanks! That information was very helpful and has given me some peace of mind. Could I confirm if the screw in the picture you showed is something similar to the BMW 8 mm Hex-Head Self-Tapping Bolt/Screw, 5.1 x 15.5 mm, part number 07143428231? If I use "5.1 pitch" and "15.5 mm length" as keywords when I ask at the hardware shop, would that be correct?

I'm also very interested in the "expanding rivet" as my bracket is broken, and an expanding rivet seems like a better option for fastening it. Is there a detailed specification for the rivet I need when I ask around at the hardware store?

Apologies again if I'm asking obvious questions, first timer.

I manged to find a picture of the bracket I tried to fasten https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/...ic96L._AC_.jpg
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 01:03 PM   #6
jsunma
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 328iT 6MT RWD

I think that screw you posted the part number for is the exact one. BMW calls these "plastic screws" because they don't have the point on them that they'd have if they were being used to screw into something metal.

As for the rivet...I have no idea. I ordered a package of about 100 of these kinds of things in various sizes from Amazon for about $5. When I need one, I just try different sizes until I find one that works.

If you really care about exact specifications, you could go to the BMW dealer with the part numbers and they'd be glad to sell them to you for the 50 cents (or the UK equivalent) or so they cost. I wouldn't over think this.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0