E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Cobb Questions

11-04-2011, 09:59 AM   #1
PoolBoy
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Cobb Questions

Hello All:
I have a 2008 335i MT coupe that is bone stock, never tracked, 30K miles and about six months from going out of warranty. I am intrigued by the Cobb tuning approach as an option due to simplicity and cost, but I have some questions for those in the know:
- Have the throttle sensitivity issues some members reported with the 6 speed MT been resolved? Driveablility is key to me and I want the car to remain "well mannered" until I unleash it
- Some of the early users reported installation headaches...can recent customers comment if those have been resolved?
- Reliability issues with the 91 octane (CA gas) Drive and Sport maps?
- Any other issues for someone who wants a tune with minimal hassle?

I had the recall on the HPFP done about 6 months ago and they replaced 4 injectors as well. Other than a Vanos issue about 500 miles ago (fixed by the dealer under warranty) the car is running great. I apologize if these questions are answered in other threads--I did some searching but did not easily find what I was looking for. Thanks in advance for your help/feedback
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 10:38 AM   #2
Bullet
Major
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 335i

I've had Cobb for a few weeks now and, for me, the stock throttle map is very linear and easy to use. Not a fan of the v1 or v2 Cobb also offers. But to answer your question yes the throttle has been adjusted. As for installation problems I've run into none and ,knock on wood, when I took my car into the stealership they didn't find anything from Cobb.
      11-04-2011, 11:54 AM   #3
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E92 335i

Have the throttle sensitivity issues some members reported with the 6 speed MT been resolved? Driveablility is key to me and I want the car to remain "well mannered" until I unleash it

COBB has released alternate throttle mapping and the issue has been fixed. All AccessPORT mapping is now available with four different throttle calibrations to give drivers the throttle feel that best suits their driving style.

Stock Throttle (bottom right)
Linear Throttle (top right)
Alternate Throttle v1 (top left)
Alternate Throttle v2 (bottom left)

Some of the early users reported installation headaches...can recent customers comment if those have been resolved?

Yes, these issues have been resolved and were experienced early on when BETA 2007 support was first released. The official maps have been long released and there no installation headaches.

Reliability issues with the 91 octane (CA gas) Drive and Sport maps?
I am personally running 91 Octane Sport Map on my 2008 BMW E92 335i and have not had any issues with the car. The dealership also performed a recall on the injectors, hpfp, updated the dme, and changed out the spark plugs on the vehicle as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 08:23 PM   #4
PoolBoy
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Thanks for the replies...

Very tempting to move forward with the Cobb tune. Does the 91 octane sport map sacrifice any daily drivability over the Drive map? Also, do Cobb tunes maintain constant boost with altitude changes? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 10:51 PM   #5
Bullet
Major
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolBoy View Post
Very tempting to move forward with the Cobb tune. Does the 91 octane sport map sacrifice any daily drivability over the Drive map? Also, do Cobb tunes maintain constant boost with altitude changes? Thanks!
DOOOO ITT!!! No drivability is lost but you will need to "relearn" to drive your car with the new found power. Another plus, with stage 1 i haven't noticed a significant loss in mpg.. can't comment on the altitude though..