E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > M3 replica bumper air ducts

08-10-2018, 12:42 PM   #1
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

M3 replica bumper air ducts

I'm about to bite the bullet and purchase an m3 rep bumper and I hate the fog lights. I've been looking for links to the ducts that are direct fit for the replica bumpers and couldn't find much info although I found others wondering the same thing: so if you're in the same boat, here is where to buy them:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LCI-Style-F...LH_TitleDesc=0

and if you want the whole bumper with the ducts:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/06-08-BMW-E...JYDyp9&vxp=mtr
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 08:52 PM   #2
EndOfAnEra
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW X3 35i Msport + S2000

I just went through this. If you have an oil cooler youre better off buying the OEM M3 air duct for the passenger side. You lose the portion of ducting that goes to the opening in the fender liner, though. On the driver side I am using these eBay replica M3 bumper ducts. It doesnt line up perfectly to the fender liner either.
      08-11-2018, 12:44 AM   #3
Doesha
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Pre-LCI Monaco Blue

I have a meeting Rep on a pre lci and if you are going to do the fog lights you will not be able to use the airducts for the brakes everything else lines up. Next time I pull my bumper off I'm not going to cut the ducts but get some 3" or 4" tubing to bend around the fogs and mount.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 09:52 AM   #4
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doesha View Post
I have a meeting Rep on a pre lci and if you are going to do the fog lights you will not be able to use the airducts for the brakes everything else lines up. Next time I pull my bumper off I'm not going to cut the ducts but get some 3" or 4" tubing to bend around the fogs and mount.
Is it possible to use the ducts but trim them, or is the problem that they don't line up left to right ?

The reason I ask is that, I will be doing this Mod sometime in the next 9 months. I'll probably buy the bumper primed and have my local body shop guy paint it. I am looking for a bumper that has the spigots near the head lights because I have the cold weather package.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 12:19 AM   #5
Echoninety
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i e90 Sport 6mt

Might look into this.
      08-12-2018, 12:25 AM   #6
Doesha
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
Is it possible to use the ducts but trim them, or is the problem that they don't line up left to right ?

The reason I ask is that, I will be doing this Mod sometime in the next 9 months. I'll probably buy the bumper primed and have my local body shop guy paint it. I am looking for a bumper that has the spigots near the head lights because I have the cold weather package.
You can trim them but I'm opting not to do this only for two reasons. A) I kept my original bumper and if needed everything will be a direct fit B) where you have to cut it will just blow air into the rear of the bumper because it's alsmot to the edge of the wheel well liner
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 12:28 AM   #7
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

You can trim them but I'm opting not to do this only for two reasons. A) I kept my original bumper and if needed everything will be a direct fit B) where you have to cut it will just blow air into the rear of the bumper because it's alsmot to the edge of the wheel well liner
Ok. So getting oem Brake ducts negates fog lights, or can you put both fog lights and oem brake ducts in?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 12:35 AM   #8
Doesha
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Ok. So getting oem Brake ducts negates fog lights, or can you put both fog lights and oem brake ducts in?
The fogs that came with my M3 Rep were actually e60 fog lights and 9006 bulb. I cut the wire and soldered but you can find adapters from I think HE if I'm not mistaken to 9006. Been awhile. Honestly just depends what you want the brake ducts will have to either be removed or trimmed. Regardless if I'm not mistaken. I can tell you mine just did not fit with fogs and I'm paying for it now due to me driving my 330 like I stole it and not having drilled/slotted rotors. I'm pretty sure my front passenger is slightly warped. Im due for brakes anyways. I'ma do the tubing when I pull off my bumper to fit my retrofitted lights I'm currently working on and installing new brakes at the same time igh that squeaking
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 01:53 AM   #9
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
The fogs that came with my M3 Rep were actually e60 fog lights and 9006 bulb. I cut the wire and soldered but you can find adapters from I think HE if I'm not mistaken to 9006. Been awhile. Honestly just depends what you want the brake ducts will have to either be removed or trimmed. Regardless if I'm not mistaken. I can tell you mine just did not fit with fogs and I'm paying for it now due to me driving my 330 like I stole it and not having drilled/slotted rotors. I'm pretty sure my front passenger is slightly warped. Im due for brakes anyways. I'ma do the tubing when I pull off my bumper to fit my retrofitted lights I'm currently working on and installing new brakes at the same time igh that squeaking
Hmm, I have cross drilled rotors in both front & rear. Please take pics when you go to fix everything. I am very curious to see your solution.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 11:53 AM   #10
El Cheapo Loco
douchebaggo
Rep
Drives: stick

I have those ducts and I can tell you that they don't line up correctly with the fender liner when they are sitting flush with the bumper. You can probably reshape them with a heat gun so they line up but I don't have the time and patience. I also had to relocate and reshape the brackets so that they can be mounted to a solid surface.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 11:52 AM   #11
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Cheapo Loco View Post
I have those ducts and I can tell you that they don't line up correctly with the fender liner when they are sitting flush with the bumper. You can probably reshape them with a heat gun so they line up but I don't have the time and patience. I also had to relocate and reshape the brackets so that they can be mounted to a solid surface.
Thanks for the tips guys. I bought a bumper with these ducts since I dno't like the fog lights but I will probably have to modify them or buy genuine ones since I have an oil cooler.
Appreciate 0