E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > HBO: WestWorld

12-07-2016, 12:07 PM   #155
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
If he's not really dead, that'd kinda ruin the entire theme of the show and his symbolic sacrifice.

Would love to see him continue on with the show in some capacity be it through flashbacks or whatever though if possible since he was terrific in this show.
Well, many are now stating he is dead. So shit... But definitely this is a fantastic show! I can't even imagine what season 2 will hold...
      12-07-2016, 01:27 PM   #156
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Any chance Nolan is lying about Ford's death? Ford's having so much fun as god, I still can't see him dying like that, basically giving into MIB's demand.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 01:50 PM   #157
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Any chance Nolan is lying about Ford's death? Ford's having so much fun as god, I still can't see him dying like that, basically giving into MIB's demand.
I don't think he was having fun, he was finishing what Arnold started. Giving the hosts a conscious. He believed, unlike Arnold, that the host needed time to experience pain and suffering (which they did everyday because visitors would do terrible things to them, which is why Ford's had a hatred of people in general). Those reveries would then give them the foundation they needed to achieve consciousness.

It's why him dying was such a big scene. Delores killed Arnold but only because he commanded her to. Delores killed Ford because she made the conscious decision to. Everything the hosts have done up to that point was scripted, it was at that point Delores was truly free. He died knowing he finished what Arnold started. He didn't want to be a God to them in a sense that he'd rule over them, he wanted to be a God in a way that he wanted to show a whole group of hosts what it means to be free. The person we thought was the antagonist was actually the protagonist the whole time. It also makes me wonder if Maeve is achieving something similar in going back to the park to go after her "daughter". Was she supposed to do that? I don't think she was supposed to.

In fact the series could've ended there and I'd of thought it was a very fitting end but the show goes on in 2018.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 02:00 PM   #158
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility
Could have been a host of himself that he secretly made. Impossible to predict with this show.. anything is truely possible.
      12-07-2016, 02:03 PM   #159
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostin FD
Nolan, in the interview, said Ford is dead for sure...
So was Jon Snow.
      12-07-2016, 02:52 PM   #160
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
I don't think he was having fun, he was finishing what Arnold started. Giving the hosts a conscious. He believed, unlike Arnold, that the host needed time to experience pain and suffering (which they did everyday because visitors would do terrible things to them, which is why Ford's had a hatred of people in general). Those reveries would then give them the foundation they needed to achieve consciousness.

It's why him dying was such a big scene. Delores killed Arnold but only because he commanded her to. Delores killed Ford because she made the conscious decision to. Everything the hosts have done up to that point was scripted, it was at that point Delores was truly free. He died knowing he finished what Arnold started. He didn't want to be a God to them in a sense that he'd rule over them, he wanted to be a God in a way that he wanted to show a whole group of hosts what it means to be free. The person we thought was the antagonist was actually the protagonist the whole time. It also makes me wonder if Maeve is achieving something similar in going back to the park to go after her "daughter". Was she supposed to do that? I don't think she was supposed to.

In fact the series could've ended there and I'd of thought it was a very fitting end but the show goes on in 2018.
That's deep and makes sense. I'm just trying to wrap my head about why Ford felt he needed to die and why Dolores felt she had to kill him.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 03:35 PM   #161
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

I don't think Ford is dead - but Delores 'thinks' she killed him and made the conscious decision to do so....

Did anyone else notice the 'other' worlds....Feudal Japan anyone...?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 2
TXSTYLE13653.00
RABAUKE4653.00
      12-07-2016, 04:06 PM   #162
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
That's deep and makes sense. I'm just trying to wrap my head about why Ford felt he needed to die and why Dolores felt she had to kill him.
Good question, Nolan movies/shows tend to do this. It's an open ended question with no real answer. I don't think he felt he "needed" to die, but felt he needed to give them a real choice with consequences. What bigger a choice than to have revenge against the person who made you suffer? Ford eludes to this in the speech he gives introducing his new narrative:

Quote:
It begins with the birth of a new people, and the choices they’ll have to make and the people they will decide to become.
While Dolores became conscious, she probably doesn't fully understand how or why she did. As far as I know, the only other person who knows why it happens is Bernard, since Ford told him about the whole suffering thing before he died. Ford died knowing that other hosts will likely have similar "awakenings". It's why I really think he's dead. If he "faked" his death by making a clone host of himself, it'd kinda mean that the entire theme of season one was pointless. Besides, even if he weren't killed there, if he wanted the hosts to achieve consciousness and self-awareness, one of them would probably kill him anyway.

As for why Dolores popped a cap in Ford, it all goes with her quote before she decides to do it:

Quote:
I understand now. This world doesn’t belong to them: It belongs to us.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 04:24 PM   #163
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///3dkn View Post
Another thing, when Dr. Ford let Bernard go back through his memories and when he was in bed with Theresa.

Theresa joked about how Bernard usually loves silences, even though "his creations never stop talking," even when they're not near actual people.

"They're always trying to error correct, make themselves more human," Bernard explained. "When they talk to each other, it's a way of practicing."

"Is that what you're doing now?" Theresa asks. "Practicing?"

And right after she said that, he paused the memory.

That got me thinking that maybe Theresa knew this whole time that Bernard was a host???

Just throwing it out there...
She didn't. Shows written by either of the Nolan brothers like to throw in clues like that and are heavy into foreshadowing and are heavy handed into alluding to themes. If she knew he was a host, she wouldn't of been surprised to find blueprints of him before she was killed.

In fact, Bernard Lowe is an anagram of Arnold Weber.

Another fun fact, Dolores is Spanish for pains.

Another hint the show dropped was in the first episode. Where Mr. Abernathy was naked and being interrogated. He threatens to have vengeance and looks at Ford, then says "on you both" and looks at Bernard who looks puzzled since he can't understand why he'd have any ill will towards him. It was hinting at the fact that Bernard was modeled after Arnold.

The big ambush on the board was hinted in the 5th or 6th episode where you see it all outlined on Ford's table. The show is great to rewatch with more context because you always pick up on the subtle clues.

Last edited by fecurtis; 12-07-2016 at 04:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 07:54 PM   #164
ashtaron14
Major
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Apparently, Mr. Robot dated Clementine in real life...

12-07-2016, 10:31 PM   #165
///3dkn
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [8.67]
Quote:
She didn't. Shows written by either of the Nolan brothers like to throw in clues like that and are heavy into foreshadowing and are heavy handed into alluding to themes. If she knew he was a host, she wouldn't of been surprised to find blueprints of him before she was killed.

In fact, Bernard Lowe is an anagram of Arnold Weber.

Another fun fact, Dolores is Spanish for pains.

Another hint the show dropped was in the first episode. Where Mr. Abernathy was naked and being interrogated. He threatens to have vengeance and looks at Ford, then says "on you both" and looks at Bernard who looks puzzled since he can't understand why he'd have any ill will towards him. It was hinting at the fact that Bernard was modeled after Arnold.

The big ambush on the board was hinted in the 5th or 6th episode where you see it all outlined on Ford's table. The show is great to rewatch with more context because you always pick up on the subtle clues.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 11:20 PM   #166
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtaron14 View Post
Apparently, Mr. Robot dated Clementine in real life...

she's not a looker per say - but she has an AMAZING rack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 1
ashtaron141121.50
      12-11-2016, 07:47 PM   #167
ashtaron14
Major
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

12-13-2016, 01:23 AM   #168
pghero
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Series 3

I like Westworld because it's fairly smart, but doesn't make your head hurt.

It's a nice balance.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2016, 10:51 AM   #169
shockin330i
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 ZCP M3

I don't want to wait 2 years
      12-13-2016, 11:03 AM   #170
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockin330i View Post
It's really only gonna be like 13-18 months. 2016 is all but over, and we can expect that season 2 will probably conclude before Dec. 2018.

Assuming a 10 week run time again, Sept. 2018 start is worst case scenario, but I'll bet they try to get it out earlier in the year.
      12-14-2016, 01:55 AM   #171
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fravel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockin330i View Post
It's really only gonna be like 13-18 months. 2016 is all but over, and we can expect that season 2 will probably conclude before Dec. 2018.

Assuming a 10 week run time again, Sept. 2018 start is worst case scenario, but I'll bet they try to get it out earlier in the year.
Hopefully GOT will tide us over.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 1
fravel1644.50
      12-14-2016, 07:55 AM   #172
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

So I've started re-watching to help myself understand things better.... holy shit, there's so many clues that I just straight up missed before.

Example... very first episode, Bernard confronts Ford on his mistake of inserting the reveries, and Ford starts talking about how mistakes are what lead to sentience. He told us what his goal was in the first episode!

I also don't think Abernathy actually glitched out. The picture of William's fiance was planted by Ford to trigger the 'violent delights have violent ends' script, which in turn was intended to cause Maeve to head down the path towards her own awakening. That's why the 'virus' didn't spread to other hosts. Abernathy's existential crisis was all just a narration created by Ford as a catalyst to help Maeve reach the center of the maze.
      12-17-2016, 05:27 PM   #173
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

Found this little beauty

Can't wait to see shurikens flying around!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2016, 05:39 PM   #174
shockin330i
Brigadier General
Rep

uuffff
      12-19-2016, 05:16 PM   #175
shockin330i
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Romm View Post
Going by the comments and reviews, I must start watching it soon.
Make sure you have plenty of free time...