E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Retrofited E9X Steptronic Gear shifter

04-14-2016, 10:25 AM   #661
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Deep Sea Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by schulrog View Post
Hey Shulrog,
I was actually one of the first pioneers of this modification way back in 2007/2008 during my E46 days. The reason I quit the work on this was at the end of the day when in PARK the shifter sat way too high and leaned way too forward above the console.

You have found a great way around that by cutting the metal stalk in the car and modifying a SPORT plate.

Any pictures of how low you guys have got this to sit on the E90 console? I am surprised a project of this magnitude doesn't have a ANY attention, clear pictures and videos whatsoever all over the forums and the internet.

When I buy your kit I will change all that. People need to know how great this DIY Retrofit is!

I am really interested in buying this just to get my closure on something that has been bugging me for years. Thanks for your wonderful work!!

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE MY BMW E90 MODS:
http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...Mod&UcId=20832

Last edited by delmarco; 04-14-2016 at 10:34 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2016, 02:35 PM   #662
schulrog
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 645CiC

hey hey! I think i came across your video before.

There are a few pics on here a couple pages back. it sits pretty low... as low as OEM would actually. Pictures are always appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 02:59 PM   #663
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
hey hey! I think i came across your video before.

There are a few pics on here a couple pages back. it sits pretty low... as low as OEM would actually. Pictures are always appreciated!
Thanks!
I can't wait to get my hands on this.
I will order soon.

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 12:30 AM   #664
NightStalker
Rep
Drives: Audi

bump to a great thread. going to order my kit very soon.

will be taking the shift knob apart and get it wrapped
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 06:36 PM   #665
schulrog
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'm still amazed how many views/comments this thread has gotten over the years for something that started out as helping someone making it work.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 11:35 AM   #666
Thumperx
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335I coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by schulrog
I'm still amazed how many views/comments this thread has gotten over the years for something that started out as helping someone making it work.
Agreed. This project started out as a means to finish an ex-forum member project.

The original owner was Electrical Engineer who could not make the system work. Buying his dud project, I was no brighter than he was to make the IS shifter kit operate.

I came across Rodger's website, and notice his other shifter kits were along the same line as this one. We talked over the phone, made a plan, and poof the final result.

I'm glad this project has been a win - win for everyone.
Name: Blanca | 07 E92 | AW-Blk | ZSP | Alcon BBK | M3 Bits | VM RR Links | Koni | UUC Sways | V5 | Dinan CAI | ETS IC | Fge DV | ER CP | Cyba | Raden. Exh | Mod Step | Trunk Drawer | Perf LED Wheel | Illum Dr Sills | IS Shifter | Parrot | Philps D1S | 6000k fog | MTECH RR | CSL Trunk | Aero | Roof Spoiler | PSS on BBS RS-GT 19s
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 02:39 PM   #667
mpack79
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5

Quote:
been working on integrating the new sprint booster into the E9x DCT baseplate. here's a snapshot of the prototype which will be tested by sexymexy shortly for functionality. As you can see the dongle has been integrated into the baseplate shown in the red circle for the LED that will show which mode the sprintbooster currently is in. that button actually won't be functional but (in theory) you will be able to cycle through the different modes using the sport button on the baseplate and the sprintbooster LED will light up reflecting the different modes.
schulrog I spoke to you earlier and ordered my shifter kit and asked you to add the wires to conntect the Sprint Booster to the sport button. With that do you know what wires i will need to connect the sprint booster. Also in the prototype you had a small "dongle" indicator light on the upper left corner to show the different modes. I know this was a while back but any info will help. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 09:54 AM   #668
NightStalker
Rep

Waiting for my kit
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 05:13 PM   #669
schulrog
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpack79 View Post
schulrog I spoke to you earlier and ordered my shifter kit and asked you to add the wires to conntect the Sprint Booster to the sport button. With that do you know what wires i will need to connect the sprint booster. Also in the prototype you had a small "dongle" indicator light on the upper left corner to show the different modes. I know this was a while back but any info will help. Thanks
Ohh man that was a long time ago. I believe i just drilled a hole the size of the indicator into the baseplate and hot glued it to the baseplate from the inside. to use the dongle with the sport button, i just parallel soldered the two wires from the dongle to the two wires of the sport button.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 11:08 AM   #670
mpack79
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5

Quote:
Ohh man that was a long time ago. I believe i just drilled a hole the size of the indicator into the baseplate and hot glued it to the baseplate from the inside. to use the dongle with the sport button, i just parallel soldered the two wires from the dongle to the two wires of the sport button.

Easy enough. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 09:20 PM   #671
terryd5150
Head Fry Cook at McBurgertown
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumperx View Post
Agreed. This project started out as a means to finish an ex-forum member project.

The original owner was Electrical Engineer who could not make the system work. Buying his dud project, I was no brighter than he was to make the IS shifter kit operate.

I came across Rodger's website, and notice his other shifter kits were along the same line as this one. We talked over the phone, made a plan, and poof the final result.

I'm glad this project has been a win - win for everyone.
Yes, and it's an upgrade that's still on my radar for both my E90s.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2016, 10:08 AM   #672
NightStalker
Rep

vinyled and ready for install

image upload no size limit
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2016, 11:03 AM   #673
Thumperx
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335I coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVS
vinyled and ready for install

image upload no size limit
Looks good!
Name: Blanca | 07 E92 | AW-Blk | ZSP | Alcon BBK | M3 Bits | VM RR Links | Koni | UUC Sways | V5 | Dinan CAI | ETS IC | Fge DV | ER CP | Cyba | Raden. Exh | Mod Step | Trunk Drawer | Perf LED Wheel | Illum Dr Sills | IS Shifter | Parrot | Philps D1S | 6000k fog | MTECH RR | CSL Trunk | Aero | Roof Spoiler | PSS on BBS RS-GT 19s
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 10:10 AM   #674
Eternal_SIR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335I RWD Coupe

finally got mine done too

02-19-2017, 11:16 AM   #675
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep

In 2017 after nearly 10 years since this mod started out as an idea does anyone who did this have regrets or tips?

I just ordered this kit (from another E90 member in Beverly Hills, CA that never installed it)

I will install it over the next couple of days and do lots of photos and videos BEFORE, DURING and AFTER INSTALLATION!

My goal is to get the DCT Shifter as low as possible and look as OEM as possible. I know the installation instructions recommend 1.25 inches off the top but I read here and there through - out this better half of this epic thread that some brave members cut more that than off the metal stalk. What did you guys cut up to? 2 inches? 3 inches?

These pictures below from Dayjob's retrofit is how low and OEM-like that I want my job to come out looking like:

To cut the stalk I am ordering a:
1. SPEEDWAY 5-Amp Reciprocating Saw with Metal Cutting Blades

and to drill a screw hole into the metal stalk to secure the DCT shifter (I may do hose clamps instead) as well as any extra dremeling
2. BLACK+DECKER
20-Volt Max Lithium-Ion Cordless Drill/Driver

I also want to do a proper installation video and an actual clear video where I am driving with the shifter installed! There seems to be a lack of 'clear' after-installation pictures and videos.

That said I think two videos sold me:

I needed to see with my own eyes that the new DCT shifter was solid on the stalk after installation and even after cutting the stalk was not super high and giraffe like!

Last edited by delmarco; 02-19-2017 at 11:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 01:50 PM   #676
NightStalker
Rep

I'm selling my kit if anyone is interested. giving my car back in.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1350728
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 01:57 PM   #677
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVS View Post
I'm selling my kit if anyone is interested. giving my car back in.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1350728
Is that picture on your sale thread with the stem cut? It looks really high still?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 02:19 PM   #678
NightStalker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
Is that picture on your sale thread with the stem cut? It looks really high still?
yes its cut...it looks high in park position but once its in drive doesn't look bad at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 02:24 PM   #679
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVS View Post
yes its cut...it looks high in park position but once its in drive doesn't look bad at all.
How did you reverse the process after you cut the stem? Does the original shifter still fit on after cutting?

Also how much inches did you cut off?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 02:26 PM   #680
fatjoez
student
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e90

delmarco cutest baby ever.

Can the OEM e90 6 speed shifter be cut shorter like the DCT mod one?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 02:49 PM   #681
NightStalker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
How did you reverse the process after you cut the stem? Does the original shifter still fit on after cutting?

Also how much inches did you cut off?
you can't reverse the process. and I'm not sure actually.

i have two shifter assembly modules. the one is cut i am taking it out and replacing my original one in..about 10min work with adjusting from underneath the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 01:59 PM   #682
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep

I got my DCT Retrofit MotiveMod kit last night and did a partial install to see if and how my specific kit worked. I didn't cut the stalk or permanently installed it. I only plugged it in and temporarily fitted it onto the console to do a test of everything. Everything worked.

I must say that it looks so OEM and factory that unless you are a BMW Service employee or an avid E90/BMW fanatic you would not know that it is a retrofit.

GREAT JOB to the MotiveMod team for procuring this quality kit from genuine OEM parts. The kit literally looks like it came from a BMW Dealership with a BMW Parts Number and all. Once installed properly with the stalk cut right then it should literally look and feel like your car left the BMW factory with this DCT shifter installed.

The installation , after you remove the original shifter and plate, is easier than putting air in your tires. However the KEY thing is how and where you cut the Shifter Assembly Metal Stalk and/or the plastic base of the DCT knob.

There is a sweet spot where the DCT sits both secure and as sits as low as possible. You could make it easy and go the conservative way and cut a little off the Steptronic Assembly stalk as per the directions that ships with the MotiveMod kit but once you see how nice it makes your interior look then you will be willing to hack some more centimeters off your Assembly stalk and make room inside the DCT shifter's neck to get it to sit lower.

This is why I'm already investing in some decent power tools (reciprocating saw, a good dremel set and a powerful 20V drill) to get this to look as OEM as possible to the 335is set up.

As for the Shifting in R accidentally concerns: Back in 2009/2010 I created my own primitive version of MotiveMod's kit for my E46 3 series

After installation I spent a few months with it in my car, driving over 2000 miles, in all sorts of conditions and I didn't have any accidents with shifting in R from D. In the end I didn't cut the stalk because I never got my wiring to work. I eventually sold it so that I could fund my E46 Navigation retrofit.

The E46 Steptronic assembly is more slippery and archaic than the E90's firm and notchy assembly. On your E90 every gear clicks into place before shifting to the next and a foot must be on the brake regardless of the presence of a pressed lock button on the shift knob before the tranny shifts out of Park to R,N,D. The same applies for shifting into R from N and D. The brake has to be depressed!

The only case where I think you can shift accidentally into R from D is if you are going at any speed, say 60MPH, and you slam on the brakes to avoid a collision and as the car is braking hard and coming to a stop your rear seat passenger or something in the back seat goes flying forward and knocks the DCT shifter from D, past N, into R and into P before the car comes to a complete stop.

But I think as long as you are careful and don't have a lot of unnecessary clutter around your console area and keep pocket books and hand bags (my wife and mother does that all the time) off the console area then you should be okay.

-As for the Sport Button. It lights up and looks like it belong in the car and on the shifter's plate. I believe the button when used, on a car that actually has it from factory, does not put the car into D/S Mode but rather adds a extra layer of sportiness to the car (more like a Sprint Booster button-which in fact some people have done). It is a redundant feature and doesn't NEED to work to add any enjoyment to this retrofit.

I've been a long time critic to BMW's marketing ploy of making customers pay more money to add pricey sport package enhancements to cars that are already sport sedans by nature! So a non-working Sport Button on my already sporty 335i is okay with me. It lights up with the rest of the dash, the font matches and it looks like it belongs in the car!

In fact I've leased a couple M. Benz C300 cars and SUVs with Sport Buttons that don't do much from the perspective of the driver. On the C class I couldn't tell what it did and on the big hulking SUVs the SPORT BUTTON only made the acceleration quicker but you are not really racing a top heavy tippy SUV.

That said, the sport button is a cool idea (like the magical NOS button of the Fast & Furious cars) but it doesn't make your 3 series instantly achieve Bugatti Veyron 0-60mph times nor will you gain the ability to shoot flames out the exhaust pipe.

Said and done 99% of your daily commute you will not use it and in time you will forget it is even there.

My final word from initial impressions:

Over all MotiveMods have procured a solid, functional and in appearance passably OEM kit out of nothing but a dream and an idea almost 10 years ago.

I would say it is pricey but I know these guys are buying genuine parts from the BMW Dealership to make this kit so you have to accept that as a benefit.

In saying that I will add this OEM retrofit is miles better quality than the eBay Ali Baba Chinese Plastic DCT LED stalks and the Bimmian/JLevi illuminated stalks.

My only regrets and something I need to figure out before I finalize my installation is that it is not reversible. So if you are to sell your car or trade it in later on in the future you cannot simply add back in the original shifter.

You have to replace the entire Shifter Assembly for the Steptronic Transmission.

Good news is Shifter Assemblies are really cheap! Costing from $60 and up for a used one on eBay. Or you can buy a new one from $400 to $600 online. Further good news is that the Shifter Assembly part itself "can be removed and installed in 10 [to 30 minutes] with necessary adjustments from underneath the car."

So when you are ready to resell the car you can replace and sell your MotiveMod DCT kit to another E90 member from $300 to $400. Then use that money to buy a factory Shifter Assembly for $60, get that installed for an hour labor time and pocket the rest of your money.

So when you look at it that way its a win win for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgcdude1 View Post
My apologies for reviving an old thread, but I'm curious. I have a 2011 335, and the IS base plate really brings some needed pop to the shifter stack.

Has anyone figured out how to make the Sport Button functional? Is the Sport function only activated by the mechanical control of the shifter? (ie. throwing it to the left...) I would think the function has some type of electro/mechanical interface.

Would it be possible to trick the transmission into thinking that the shifter has been thrown left by pressing that sport button?

Has anyone seen how the wiring differentiates in models where the "Sport" button actually works?

Would be great to see if we could make the whole system functional, not just cosmetic.

Cheers all!

Last edited by delmarco; 02-24-2017 at 03:00 PM..
Appreciate 1
DaZuc202.00