E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > 2009 X5 (E70) 35d: Catalytic Converter replacement

03-10-2019, 09:52 AM   #45
BMWerkeUSA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 760li, 2012 650i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardvette View Post
No I dont have the countdown but I do have a rear nox sensor plausibility code and a code related to scr efficiency. I can clear them and the nox sensor code comes back immediately, even before starting it. The other code hasn't returned yet.
Sound like your issue may be with the NOx sensor.

I got mine replaced by the dealer under BMW's extended (10yrs/120,000 miles) warranty after I got the code 46F2: "DeNOx system, function."
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 07:52 PM   #46
wardvette
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: C6 Corvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWerkeUSA View Post
Sound like your issue may be with the NOx sensor.

I got mine replaced by the dealer under BMW's extended (10yrs/120,000 miles) warranty after I got the code 46F2: "DeNOx system, function."
I hope you're right. My DEF injection port was completely blocked and the metering unit wouldn't work during bench test. I cleaned out the port, ordered a new metering unit, and both used nox sensors. Hope this will take care of everything.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 08:47 PM   #47
BMWerkeUSA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardvette View Post
I hope you're right. My DEF injection port was completely blocked and the metering unit wouldn't work during bench test. I cleaned out the port, ordered a new metering unit, and both used nox sensors. Hope this will take care of everything.
I hope so.

Last edited by BMWerkeUSA; 03-15-2019 at 05:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 07:42 PM   #48
BMWerkeUSA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Update (SOLVED):

The DDE came back today from DUDMD with their Stage 1 tune + SCR Off (software) which adds 70hp and 80tq. As far as the hardware is concerned, the car is 100% stock and the EGR as well as DPF are all active. I was told that with this configuration, the car will do DPF regeneration more often. Time will show.

We installed the DDE and connected the battery then turned the car on. The car started up fine but I had a message "Incorrect exhaust fluid. No start in ... miles" This was a bit disappointing since my understanding was that the tune would eliminate the countdown completely. In any case, I turned the car off and turned it on again and the same message showed up. After putting back all the trim pieces around the DDE, I read the codes with Carly and cleared them. I restarted the car again and the countdown message was gone as well as the check engine sign. We took it out for a drive of about 50 miles (mostly highway) monitoring the soot mass in the DPF. By the time we came home the soot mass was about 3.3gr. We did not get the check engine sign back nor the countdown message.

It is too early to comment about the power boost but I am pleased with the tune as far as its ability to get rid of the countdown message (no start in ** miles) with the stock hardware.

I am also pleased with the repressiveness of the DUDMD staff. They were very quick in answering my questions. They were also quick in doing the flash in that they received the DDE at around 10 AM and they shipped it back to me the same day at around 2:00 PM.

I will do another update regarding my long term experience as far as the power delivery and the reliability of the tune is concerned if I end up keeping the car long enough.

If you ever decide to get a tune for your M57 335D or X5 35d from DUDMD, pm me and I will send you a 10% off coupon. It worked for me but I cannot guarantee that it will work for you.

Last edited by BMWerkeUSA; 03-23-2019 at 11:57 AM..
Appreciate 1
robnitro160.00
      03-22-2019, 12:37 PM   #49
cm335d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Why would this configuration cause the dpf regeneration to occur more often? Since the Urea injection is post DPF, and you just had the SCR part turned off, shouldn't the regens be at the same rate?
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2019, 01:13 PM   #50
Owen81
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d, 17/22 TDI

Because more fuel means more soot if you are using the extra power.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 04:19 PM   #51
cm335d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen81 View Post
Because more fuel means more soot if you are using the extra power.
Sorry I went 'duh' on that. That makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 05:54 PM   #52
BMWerkeUSA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Update 2 (DUDMD Short Term Review):
It has been a month and a half since I got the DUDMD tune. Normally I would have posted an update by now, but pretty much every time I floored the car I got a half engine sign (or went into limp mode). Sometimes I would restart the car and the half engine sign would go away and other times the half engine sign would go away but a check engine sign stayed on. When I checked the faults codes, I found the code to be 00429A: Boost pressure control low pressure stage deviation. I also remembered that before I got the tune, ISTA read a code indicating that the EGR valve sticks occasionally. In any case, I wanted to clean the EGR valve before concluding that the half engine sign has anything to do with the tune. We finally got a chance to take out the EGR valve and this is what it looked like:

We bought the $30 Walnut blasting tool and the media at Harbor Freight and cleaned the EGR valve. By the time we were done, it looked like this:

The Intake manifold looked like it also needs cleaning but we decided to take care of it later. We put everything back, went out for a drive, floored the car several times, and the half engine sign did not come on. It looks like cleaning the EGR fixed the problem. Assuming that this is the case, let me say a few words about the DUDMD tune itself (Stage 1 with SCR off).

The main reason for me to get the tune was to get rid of the countdown (X miles to no start due to incorrect DEF fluid) by turning off the SCR. Here is my impression so far:
  1. Fixing the countdown problem: Could not be happier as it fixed my countdown problem by turning SCR, urea injections and NOx sensor reading off. My DPF auto regen appears to work fine and so I do not have any more SCR problem.
  2. Smell: Based on what I read, I understood that there may potentially be a smell issue if the urea injection is turned off but so far I have not noticed any smell whatsoever.
  3. Smoke: I don’t have any smoke problem during idle or I don’t see any sign of a smoke issue around the tailpipes. I cannot see of course what the exhaust is like on the highway when I floor the car.
  4. Power: This tune is supposed to give 70 and 80 HP and Torque respectively. I had in the past a 335i with N54. I used a JB4 that increased the HP and Torque by 100. I also had a 335xi with N55 and used a JB4 resulting in 60 HP and 100ft-lb of increase. Both in case of N54 and in case of N55 I would say that the delta going from stock to JB4 was more noticeable than going from stock X5 to DUDMD Stage 1. That is probably not surprising since the X5 is much heavier than the 335i and 335xi. Nevertheless, there is still a noticeable power boost from this tune. I would say that if you got this tune for power you would probably be disappointed if you’re used to jb4 type gains. I would recommend Stage 2 if you want to see a significant change.
  5. Overall: I am happy with the tune as I can use my car with a decent boost as a bonus and without having to worry about the SCR/DEF etc. At some point, I may go for full delete and Stage 2 if I keep the car long enough.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 03:28 PM   #53
robnitro
Captain
Rep
Drives: x5 35d e70 2011

Interesting, so the egr was not fully closed and was killing the flow that usually goes to the turbos. Good to know.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 08:49 PM   #54
rv_bmwdriver
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Followup to 032019 update

Good evening,
I read this thread with interest, my 2011 335d had the "no start 200 miles" warning. A bimmershop reported that the NOx sensors needed to be removed and replaced; that was done but ISTA test now reports catalytic converter needs to be replaced.
Since your update in March 2019, has your x5 continued to run well. Do you suggest re-tuning as you did. I have a quote to replace the catalytic convertor - trying to decide without a lot of mechanical knowledge.
Found your walnut cleaning of EGR valve of interest as well.
I tried to PM you but just joined the group - essentially to ask for an update. Appreciate your comments.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2022, 03:35 PM   #55
Nordlight
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW M3

Garage List
2011 BMW 335D  [0.00]
SCR replacement

HI , have exactly the same problem . No start in 200 miles .
Replaced NOX sensors last year , new for BMW dealer . Had 4D16 SCR efficiency for a while , rese it few times , still comes back . One day had 999 miles , low DEF , refilled , as I have done many times , car has 190K . message went away and then may be after 200 miles new message shows up Wrong DEF fluid added , no start in 200 miles. Not sure what do do . Where You able to figure this out ?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2022, 08:19 PM   #56
rv_bmwdriver
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

NOx/SCR - deactivation update

Hi. It seems the NOx and SCR deactivation becomes a service issue as we put miles on our BMW diesels. There was a 328d already in the bimmershops.org shop that I went to with the same deactivation issue.

My codes were different from yours, 41F9 – improper urea/water mix – with 474C and 4748 – SCR warning and deactivation. I looked back at my repair tickets over the last few years and found recurrent particulate system, reducing agent and other SCR faults. The current fault codes generated the “no start” warning. The shop ran ISTA emissions checks and reported that the front and rear NOx sensors needed to be replaced, but the system did not reset (“regeration” is the term the shop used). The shop ran a second ISTA check, this time finding a catalytic converter fault. After the converter was replaced the system reset. The vehicle has run fine in the 2,500 miles since the repair with 194,000 miles on the car since new (and about 135,000 miles since the NOx sensors were previously replaced).

Since you replaced the NOx sensors, I’d go back to that shop for a warranty replacement, and if the “no start” warning does not reset you might have the shop run the ISTA emissions check – looking perhaps to the catalytic converter. There were other ideas posted in this thread -including cleaning the metering value – that seemed helpful.

I was concerned when the shop also reported that the DEF particulate filter had a mileage limit as the filter is about $3,000. The ISTA report stated my the remaining mileage was 229,000 km so I’m good for a while. My local shop has had good success sending the oem filter out to be cleaned and reinstalled.

I may look into this NOx/SCR issue a bit further and will post if I find something. I know that BMW extended the warranty coverage to 10 years and 120,000 miles but I’m long past that limit. You may want to update your post as to your progress in finding a remedy to your “no start” warning. I know its unsettling to get that warning – I’m told that it’s an actual limit, not that the car will stop at 200 miles but that it won’t restart past 200 without a mechanic and some BMW process. It’s most disconcerting!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2022, 04:34 PM   #57
Tomnavigator
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D, V-10 Touareg Diesel

I have a suggestion for people who are getting errors with their SCR system related to NOx sensors. The DDE looks at the NOx sensor readings and DEF fluid injection rates. If the DDE does not see NOx readings it thinks it should see, the DDE can throw the trouble light codes. The DDE can think you have added incorrect DEF fluid. The DDE can think the SCR catalyst is bad. The DDE can think the NOx sensor is bad. One thing you can do is switch the upstream and downstream NOx sensors. Reset the codes and see if different, the same or no codes are now set by the DDE. If different codes are set or no codes are set then you probably have one NOx sensor that is weak and/or bad.
Appreciate 0