E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Connecting an iPhone

12-14-2013, 07:34 AM   #1
BOTUS
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335d

Connecting an iPhone

why would I want to do this?

using 6FL connection I can put a 64 gig memory card in a nokia and put 320kb WAV file (audio CD quality) songs and listen to something worth while without any stress, downloading or signing up for anything.

I just spent 2 hours fighting crapple rot. Downloading a completely counter intuitive bit of iTunes trash software, hunting down how to try and make it use proper quality during its import and it turns 18 gig worth of real music into 3.5 gig of the most awful, compressed garbage that's not worth listening to !!!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2013, 08:08 AM   #2
NormE91
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi Touring

The Apple lossless format should be the same sound quality. It also supports metadata, like artist name, genre, song title, etc. to my knowledge wav does not. Also, if an iphone/ipod user downloads a new song they will have immediate access to it. If you're using a memory card you'll have to bring it in the house and update it.

It doesn't sound like you're in the Apple "ecosystem". If you were using itunes to buy and manage your music it would be much easier. You don't have to think or care about formats etc. it's pretty easy to rip your CDs into itunes also.

It sounds like you have an existing digital music collection that's not in Apple format, so I can understand your frustration. I remember being frustrated with itunes at first too, but it's pretty good once you get used to it.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2013, 02:35 PM   #3
BOTUS
First Lieutenant
Rep

thanks for the reply, you sell the benefits well, but I can't agree on the quality.

What ended up of the iPhone was put the ear plugs in, not put the head phones on...

On the PC I've obviously got both formats, the difference is startlingly obvious
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2013, 04:18 PM   #4
NormE91
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi Touring

Wow that's so strange! I was just using my iphone in the car today, through the aux port, and I thought it sounded great. I actually paid special attention to it remembering this post...

Something must not be quite right; I hope it's not my hearing!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2013, 11:37 AM   #5
BOTUS
First Lieutenant
Rep

Went back to iTunes and deleted all the music, turned off please mess up all my folder structuring and save as a giant mess of mixed rubbish and re imported folder by folder. Did the same on the iPhone.

Plugged in the car for the first ever time (via 6FL and audio lead using Y connector)

turned it on, didn't like life, gave it 10 mins nothing listed. Via phone I said play a music track it played for 15 second cuts out... did same again, same effect.

drove the car for 25 mins thinking it might sort it self out - nothing, rebooted phone - nothing - unplugged the cable and as plugging it back in the phone it starts playing back and showing the phone in the list of devices - Searched for tracks it says no supported media - then I see its only playing on left of the car. Even though I thought its supposed to be playing back over the 3.5mm jack and charging / navigating menus via the USB? Wriggled the USB on the phone end and audio comes out of all speakers...

so I come to the conclusion 2007 firmware and a newer device might be part of the fun. 1 hour later its got over its self and the album folders are now displaying.

Can anyone point me to a list of firmware releases and the features / changes they introduced its an e90. I love this for the whole car.(as I want to update the nav as well)?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2013, 05:58 PM   #6
StevenY.
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10' SG e92 335i

Are you sure you converted to apple lossless? There's a difference between apple's AAC and apple lossless. I've converted my flac files to 1411kbps wav files and also apple lossless. I hear no difference between the three. I've sampled them in my car, with my studio monitors at home and even two different pairs of custom in ear monitors. In my car I use a 160gb ipod classic with the y cable in my glove box, works flawlessly with CIC idrive.

Last edited by StevenY.; 12-15-2013 at 06:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2014, 03:25 PM   #7
BOTUS
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenY. View Post
Are you sure you converted to apple lossless? There's a difference between apple's AAC and apple lossless.

No idea how to get to apple lossless format? In fact iTunes is super nasty all round user experience.

What I can say is Siouxsie and the Banshees in Apple aac 250 is just shockingly bad... if ever you needed to see why compression is a disaster this is a good starting point.

Hong Kong Garden is unlistenable in that format in 320 wav std cd format its not an issue.

I just wiped everything out from aac250 back to 320 wav ( I guess that what happened) it went from 4 gig to 26 gig for the same tracks and is so much better.
Appreciate 0