E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY Powered seat retrofit (WIP)

02-19-2018, 12:41 PM   #331
r8ede30
Registered
Rep
Drives: e30, 745i, shopping for 135i

retrofitting seats

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss4drhotrod View Post
I am still pursuing an alternative to the K_Can issue. I am still trying to find out what amperage the K_Can carries. Since pin 2 (+) and pin 3 (-) are about 18 gauge wire, i am assuming amperage would be at the 1 to 2 amp range.

I found a solid state voltage reducer (to 5V) at 2 amps and will try it out.

When i have run a few tests i will update the post.
I have a pair of E93 seats from a 2011 m3. powered and heated.
I have installed them into my e30. they are behaving just like yours.
I have a relay installed to power them off a switch but the motors only operate for a short time. I also believe the 5v to canbus (2,3 pin) could be a solution. have you tried this yet. i'm about ready to try it but also don't want to fry the seats
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 11:52 AM   #332
Bmachine
Rep
Drives: '73 BMW 3.0cs

Super helpful thread indeed, even 7 years after it was created.

I'm also in a situation where I have a pair of e92 sport seats that I am trying to install in an earlier model ('73 3.0cs) that does not have a K-can Bus. It looks like a few people in the last few posts have been trying to find out how to make this work but I did not see any successful solution.

Seems to me there are 5 options:

1. Simplest option is to find a way to get it to work at least once and set all controls to the way you want and then just hope you never want to change them.

2. Find a way to make the seat computer think there is a BUS attached, apparently by sending 5v + to pin 2 and - to pin3. Has anyone actually done this?

3. Get a K-can bus from a parts car and somehow hook it up in the car. (Is that even possible?)

4. Re-wire the seat to bypass the seat computer and send power directly to the control switches

5. Remove the electrical controls and convert everything to manual. Not sure if this is possible either.

Has anyone tried any of these successfully?

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 03:33 PM   #333
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

5 variant is real, you'll need to get manual seat frames from e92 coupe
      06-28-2018, 05:19 PM   #334
Bmachine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpending View Post
5 variant is real, you'll need to get manual seat frames from e92 coupe
Thanks pt, good point.

Thinking more about it, two things that would need to be kept electric are the side bolsters (pump I believe) and lumbar adjustment (I don't think there is a manual equivalent for that, is there?).
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 11:39 PM   #335
ptpending
Colonel
Rep

yep, these functions do not require car CAN bus
      06-29-2018, 11:41 AM   #336
Bmachine
Rep

Quote:
Interesting! I will hook up a battery to it this weekend and test that.

BTW, we know that when hooking power to the seat without the bus, the adjustments will work only once and then stop working. But it appears that "after a while", this seems to get reset and you get a new "one shot" opportunity. Does anyone know what triggers this "reset"? Is it after the power has been off for 24 hours or something to that effect?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 11:04 PM   #337
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachine View Post
Super helpful thread indeed, even 7 years after it was created.
I'm happy to see it being still useful.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2018, 01:53 PM   #338
Bmachine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpecka View Post
I'm happy to see it being still useful.
Thank you to you Woodpecka and dasammy for starting it and making it so interesting!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 12:27 PM   #339
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 23i, 2011

Thumbs up

woodpecka & dasammy,

I'd just like to say thank you very much for this thread, it's been extremely helpful for my retrofit. Mine isn't an e90 but an e89 Z4. Loads of cross-over information and the rest with the aid of the official workshop manual.

I've gone from manual heated standard seats to electric memory heated standard seats. Decided not to bother with the sports seats as I'm very happy with the standard and here in the UK you're really lucky if you can find a pair for less than £1000, and that's if you can even find the right colour, so I stumbled upon these ones in the same colour as mine.
All fitted up with a new CAN bus line to the back of the radio, coded into the VO and the .MAN file and apart from an initial point where it didn't work once I'd cleared the fault codes it is working perfectly with memory.

So once again thank you very much to the both of you for all of your hard work

My Z4 E89 YouTube channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtt...0vHFUQnoEvKB2Q
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2018, 09:52 PM   #340
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E91

you guys rock, this is not an easy mod!
Appreciate 1
DavesZed142.50
      07-12-2018, 07:17 PM   #341
Bmachine
Rep

Quote:
I can indeed confirm that the power to the lumbar and side bolsters bypass the seat computer and go directly to the pump. Excellent. One less thing to worry about.

It is also relatively simple to take the "Base frame" frame (which includes the rails and the fore and aft motor assembly) out and replace that with the same from a manual seat. So at least you can adjust the seat fore and aft manually. What is left then is the seat back adjustment and the seat height and angle.

Has anyone figured out if there is a way to pass the computer for those controls?

Thank you.

Last edited by Bmachine; 07-12-2018 at 07:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 07:56 PM   #342
Bmachine
Rep

In case this is helpful to anyone:

1. Difference in manual vs electric seat base
2. Plug assignment going into seat computer
Attached Images

Last edited by Bmachine; 07-13-2018 at 12:24 PM..
Appreciate 2
6ixSpd5996.50
POBEP361.00
      07-13-2018, 12:00 AM   #343
ptpending
Colonel
Rep

if you replace base frame (without backrest) everything will be adjusted mechanically
      07-13-2018, 02:11 PM   #344
Bmachine
Rep

Quote:
if you replace base frame (without backrest) everything will be adjusted mechanically
Thanks PT. This does sound like a possible option indeed. But with a few challenges.

1. Separate the bottom from the back for each seat.
2. Remove the "soft" part (cushion, leather and, on the sport seat, the front section that pulls forward) from the base of each seat and install the sport seat soft part onto the manual seat "hard"/metal base section.
3. Reassemble this manual seat bottom with the electric seat back.
4. Figure out how to move the electric controls for the lumbar and side bolsters on the manual seat bottom
5. Realize you do not have the seat base angle adjustment available anymore.

I have not done it yet but, at first glance, it does not seem trivial.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 01:37 AM   #345
ptpending
Colonel
Rep

if you buy sport seat baseframes you will not lose base angle adjustment
lumbar and side bolsters wiring have no differences
      07-17-2018, 12:28 PM   #346
dextuar
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

Hi,

I swapped sport heated full electric with memory seats from a RHD car to my LHD with manual heated seats, both cars are 2006/03. I connected to CAN so everything works fine but the heating. The controls on the passenger seat (the ex driver's seat with memory on the RHD car) work in opposite directions - pulling upwards moves the seat downwards and vice versa. Also the left heating button activates the heating on the passenger seat. Is is possible that I just swipe the controllers under the seats? I really do not care about the memory function working.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 02:09 AM   #347
ptpending
Colonel
Rep

if you took seats from e90 than left and right controllers are different
passenger seat have control panel with direct motor control and separate heating module
driver seat have control panel connected to integrated motor control and heating module with memory
so to finish your install you'll need to get two european LHD controllers from ebay and swap wiring harnesses between seats
you'll also need to wire can-bus to driver seat
      07-18-2018, 11:51 AM   #348
dextuar
Private
Rep

Quote:
so to finish your install you'll need to get two european LHD controllers from ebay and swap wiring harnesses between seats
I did not get this part. I currently have this module which is on the seat without memory aka the drivers seat in my case.

This module is located on the passenger seat with memory aka the ex drivers seat, now the passenger seat in my car.

So do I need to find the big one from a LHD car, how would this change anything? I do not mind the mixed controls, nor do I care about the memory function which is currently working without an issue. I do only mind for the heating. Right now when I press the right heating button, the left seat is being heated. When I press the left heating button, nothing happens. If I can only make the heating work correct, I would be happy.

If I find seats without memory but full electric, will it then be just plug and play? As far as I understand, my problems currently are just due to the memory function.

Thanks!

Last edited by dextuar; 07-18-2018 at 12:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 02:28 PM   #349
ptpending
Colonel
Rep

1.you'll need to either code your car modules as RHD and wire drivers seat heat control circuit to JBBF, or buy pair of LHD control panels and convert seats from RHD to LHD as i said before
2. the seats without memory will be half-electric because half of the adjustments will be manual, but they will be almost plug and play
      07-19-2018, 07:54 AM   #350
dextuar
Private
Rep

Thanks. Now I got it

Just to be sure: I only need this control buttons from a LHD car for both passender and driver seat and after swapping the harness, I can still use the same control modules under the seats, right?

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 08:30 AM   #351
ptpending
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dextuar View Post
Thanks. Now I got it

Just to be sure: I only need this control buttons from a LHD car for both passender and driver seat and after swapping the harness, I can still use the same control modules under the seats, right?

yes
and keep in mind that e92 and e93 have both control panel working via module
while in e90 and e91 only one works via module
      07-23-2018, 09:14 AM   #352
dextuar
Private
Rep

Quote:
yes
and keep in mind that e92 and e93 have both control panel working via module
while in e90 and e91 only one works via module
Thanks a lot. It seems to be really hard to find those control panels I read it is possible at least in E60 to fool the drivers seat into thinking it is a passenger seat, is anyone aware this being possible in E90 too? So far I was able to find LHD controls only from an E92...
Appreciate 0