E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > '88 Porsche 951 Paint correction

09-21-2010, 09:34 AM   #1
speedfreak81
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335, '08 LS3 Corvette

'88 Porsche 951 Paint correction

This is actually one of my "new to me" personal vehicles. The car is a 1988 944 Turbo (951) with 45k original miles. The paint was in excellent condition for it's age with plenty of clear left, HOWEVER, the dealership in Phoenix that I bought it from thought they knew how to use a rotary buffer. They do NOT. My jaw as well as my heart literally dropped when I flew in to take delivery of the car. The hood was laden with buffer trails as well as the roof, and the entire car was covered in swirls. I knew I was going to have my hands full to say the least.

Anyway, after about 10 hours with the FLEX, it's starting to look like glass. Unfortunately I don't have any good before shots to fully capture the horror story so the afters will have to do. I washed and clayed the car (clay was FILTHY, and obviously never done pre buffing) I basically hit the hood and roof with M105 with multiple passes, followed by multiple passes of M205. The rest of the car I was able to remove the majority of the swirling with just the 205. Afterwards I sealed the paint with HD Poxy and just threw on a coat of QD as a topper the next day. Not THAT involved, but like I said, it's my personal car so I've got all the time in the world.

Anyway, onto the PICS!!!

Last edited by speedfreak81; 09-21-2010 at 09:39 AM..
Appreciate 0