E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > ABS / Wheel Speed Sensor issue

02-23-2019, 01:30 PM   #1
NickP2
Rep
Drives: 1987 330is

ABS / Wheel Speed Sensor issue

Hi,

I have a 2007 335xi where after 30 seconds of driving I had the ABS / DSC / 4x4 codes come up.

I hooked up INPA with my laptop, had an improbable speed code stored and then I proceeded to live read the wheel speed sensor data. I noticed that the front passenger speed would flicker or jump from the expected speed to 0 several times a second.

I replaced the sensor, cleaned out the tone ring with some compressed air. And... I still have the exact same issue - anyone know what might be happening?

TLDR - wheel speed sensor flickered between expected speed and 0, replaced wheel speed sensor, still flickering. Why?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 03:24 PM   #2
AhmadM
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i MSport Coupe LCI

In my case the ABS sensor went bad after hitting a pothole. An EBAY £15 sensor worked whereas the original BMW £100 sensor did not work.

Another method is to open the plastic flap on in the engine bay near the windows. You will see the black ABS Pump. Hit it with the back of a screwdriver a couple of times. Then get in the car rotate the steering all the way to the right then the left. Then drive and try to get the front wheels to spin round a corner.

Goodluck
Appreciate 0