E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Help with speaker upgrade please

10-16-2008, 05:33 AM   #67
big pimp
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 M50d & Dakar Yellow E46 M3

Alan, just to confirm - you had the bog basic Radio etc... yes?

any you ordered the Logic 7 tweeters and mouldings?

they were then literally plug and play, or did you have to run extra wires to them?

thanks

Ross
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 06:01 AM   #68
trixman
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A Rental

Garage List
2007 BMW E92 335d  [0.00]
2003 M3 CSL  [0.00]
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by big pimp View Post
Alan, just to confirm - you had the bog basic Radio etc... yes?

any you ordered the Logic 7 tweeters and mouldings?

they were then literally plug and play, or did you have to run extra wires to them?

thanks

Ross
They are plug and play, just had them 'installed' a few days ago (do it yourself honestly, I made the mistake of getting it done in a shop and it went a bit wrong).
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 06:13 AM   #69
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
The tweeters come with a cable already connected and if you look at the blue connector in the back of the speaker in the photo above you will see a spare socket next to it - that's for the tweeter. And I have just the standard radio as you get these tweeters with the Hi-Fi option, the Logic 7 and the individual system. Only the standard radio gets no tweeters which, given the price of these cars, is a downright scandal.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 08:18 AM   #70
biscuits
Dimmer than a dim thing
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS, EQC, X5 40d, simrig

Garage List
I have bought all the gear to do this (after pleanty of help from GizzE).

Thinking of trying to do the tweeters an mids this afternoon, then upgrade the amp and subs this weekend.

So, the door cards... if I'm reading this right:

Drivers door: No screws holding it on, so no trim to remove. Just pull like feck round the bottom and sides of the door card and lift up/off.

Passenger door: Take long horizondal trim off (prise/pull), take door handle trim off (prise/pull), then do the same as the drivers door.

I have an E92 M3 (Coupe)... so think this is correct.

Have bought the Logic7 tweeters and mids, plus the tweeter trims and clips. Will take some pictures while I do it.

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 08:28 AM   #71
MOB
Major
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M2 LCI

Taking the doors off - you have to remove 3 or 4 screws hidden behind the trims BOTH sides before you can attempt to prise the panel off

Good luck - it is simple though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
I have bought all the gear to do this (after pleanty of help from GizzE).

Thinking of trying to do the tweeters an mids this afternoon, then upgrade the amp and subs this weekend.

So, the door cards... if I'm reading this right:

Drivers door: No screws holding it on, so no trim to remove. Just pull like feck round the bottom and sides of the door card and lift up/off.

Passenger door: Take long horizondal trim off (prise/pull), take door handle trim off (prise/pull), then do the same as the drivers door.

I have an E92 M3 (Coupe)... so think this is correct.

Have bought the Logic7 tweeters and mids, plus the tweeter trims and clips. Will take some pictures while I do it.

10-27-2008, 10:20 AM   #72
big pimp
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 M50d & Dakar Yellow E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanQS View Post
Logic 7 Tweeter parts

B51.33.7.184.198 Corner moulding
B65.13.6.964.013 Speaker - Set
B51.33.7.119.173 Seal
B51.33.7.182.524 Spring clip
B51.33.7.119.174 Seal
B51.33.7.184.197 Corner moulding

I think the word "SET" means a pair of tweeters but still to be confirmed.
Get 2 Nr spring clips but you may not need them.

can you confirm mate this is all i need to add tweeters into my E92?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 10:49 AM   #73
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
Yes, but you need 2 off: " B65.13.6.964.013 Speaker - Set" and if you want to dig out the centre of the original foam seal you don't need to buy the seals and I wouldn't bother with the clips - I didn't use them.

If money is not an issue, buy the seals, if you screw up the recess for the tweeter it will delay you.

biscuits: I assume the M3 door cards are similar so look at my photos as you have to remove the trim on the doors to get at the screws. Passenger side has three screws under the trim plus TWO more under the grab handle.

Driver's side has four screws under the trim with two of them within tubes at the centre.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 12:02 PM   #74
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

The screws are behind the aluminium/carbon/wood trim piece, they just pulls off and then you get to the scews.

On the passenger side there is a grab handle, there is a screw under this too.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 12:34 PM   #75
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
See post #55 onwards in this thread for pictures of the door guards and descriptions and location of the screws on both door cards (applies for certainty only to E92 models).
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 03:17 AM   #76
en6jwrs
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW E61 M-Sport 535d

Guys,

Have read this with intrest and began to start to plan to plan to do this to my e90 335d. I think I have all the part numbers and hopefully I am right in thinking all the pre wiring has been fitted at the factory (Pro Nav, Standard Stereo)...

However, I was looking at my car on the way home last night and realised that the small traingle piece of plastic which (i beleive) is replaced when you add the tweater is a one piece moulding which stretches right around the door!!!!

Has the design changed or am I looking in the wrong place?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 03:46 AM   #77
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
There's another thread where this has come up. The E90 is a bit different to the E92, you haven't gone mad. But I understand the two bits come together though the E92 part numbers will not apply.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 10:55 AM   #78
biscuits
Dimmer than a dim thing
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Have just done the Logic7 front speaker upgrade and thanks to GizzE and this thread, it only took me 45 minutes.

Hardest part is knowing how the door cards unclip, it really is just a matter of taking the TORX bolts out and prising it off. Once the Torx bolts are out, start from the front of the door card and work your way down and round to the back. The tough ones are the red clips shown, I just pulled like feck and they popped, leaving the clip in the door!

I bought some Volvo Bone Tools off eBay and they were an absolute god send!

Volvo Bone Tool eBay Linky

Anyway, the sound is already much much better, even without upgrading the amp and subs, which is my next job (but can't do it in my lunch hour!)

Stock midrange driver on left, Logic7 on right. Front view...

Rear View

As I had not tweeter grills in the door corner trims, I had to order them along with the foam insert.

All just clips together... very easy...

Fitted. The rubber glass trim is a bit of a fiddle to get back under the plastic trim and I suspect if you miss this proceedure you'll end up with wind noise.

The "clips" that I also ordered remained in place, so I have a couple spare if anyone needs them.

Next job is the subs... and running the loom from the head unit to the boot for the amp upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 11:12 AM   #79
MOB
Major
England
Rep

Great pics - I'm going to have to get some of those midranges as they look way better quality than stock

When I fitted my tweeters I didnt realise there were foam inserts and clips!! I now have them ready to fit............

Also have a pair of SWS-8 subs ready to go in at the weekend!!
      10-30-2008, 11:14 AM   #80
MOB
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits View Post

I bought some Volvo Bone Tools off eBay and they were an absolute god send!

Next job is the subs... and running the loom from the head unit to the boot for the amp upgrade.
Bone tool - probably my most used tool now, I use it for everything lol - great tool!!

Loom - the tricky part is cramming the black box behind the head unit - I found a little area for it (after 30 minutes of swearing) to the bottom right of the head unit - good luck with this annoying part of the job. Also if applicable dont forget to disconnect the 2 green optical wires from the car loom and plug them into the extension loom.
      10-30-2008, 11:27 AM   #81
biscuits
Dimmer than a dim thing
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOB View Post
Also have a pair of SWS-8 subs ready to go in at the weekend!!
Take plenty of pics while your taking the trim apart mate, it's the bit I'm not looking forward too, but after todays triumphant L7 door card upgrade... shouldn't be too bad.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 11:46 AM   #82
MOB
Major
England
Rep

Will do!
      10-30-2008, 01:35 PM   #83
tmarshall57
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 530d M Sport, E87 118d M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by en6jwrs View Post
However, I was looking at my car on the way home last night and realised that the small traingle piece of plastic which (i beleive) is replaced when you add the tweater is a one piece moulding which stretches right around the door!!!!

Has the design changed or am I looking in the wrong place?
Hi

The Realoem web site appears to have the required window trim for the e90 in a different place than the speakers.

For the trim see http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...13&hg=51&fg=10

Hope this helps
F10 530d M Sport, September 2012 Individual Amazonite Silver, Oyster Dakota Leather, Auto, Nav Pro, Bluetooth + USB Devices, Expanded BMW Online, Comfort Seats, Sunroof, Sun Protection Glass Individual Satin Walnut Honey Brown Trim Interior Inside/Outside Mirror with folding and autodip, M Rear Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 03:31 AM   #84
en6jwrs
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarshall57 View Post
Hi

The Realoem web site appears to have the required window trim for the e90 in a different place than the speakers.

For the trim see http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...13&hg=51&fg=10

Hope this helps
Thank you for the link.... it seems that the e90 is a one piece moulding. (Part 1 in the link). It also seems to quote the price as approx $30!! Which seems excellent value for a large moulding. However, I think the replacement of this major part scares me too much to contemplate this upgrade... shame as it seems to make a difference and something i was keen to do.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 04:23 AM   #85
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by en6jwrs View Post
Thank you for the link.... it seems that the e90 is a one piece moulding. (Part 1 in the link). It also seems to quote the price as approx $30!! Which seems excellent value for a large moulding. However, I think the replacement of this major part scares me too much to contemplate this upgrade... shame as it seems to make a difference and something i was keen to do.
It takes around 2 minutes to swap that piece.

No different to swapping the triangle on the coupe.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 04:54 AM   #86
en6jwrs
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
It takes around 2 minutes to swap that piece.

No different to swapping the triangle on the coupe.
Thanks gIzzE, you are refering to the one piece (round the window) moulding?? If so I will check the price with BMW.

Do you know if the pre wiring is done on the E90 as well. Would hate to take it all off to realise there is no wiring there!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 05:10 AM   #87
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Yeah all the same.

There are two connectors on the midrange, one for the signal coming in, and then you plug the new tweeter into the other one.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 09:46 AM   #88
quattrogmbh
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Does the Mid-Range not start to sound as though it has too much treble? I would have thought the Logic-7 mid ranges would have needed more power to drive them than the standard amp delivers.

Fairly novice when it comes to Audio, but remember something similar when upgrading previous speakers to a higher spec without upgrading the amp.

Thanks

PS: How much were the L7 midranges?
Appreciate 0