E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > 335i N55 Engine Oil/Manual Trans/Diff - Analysis

12-22-2011, 10:42 PM   #1
111R
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lotus

335i N55 Engine Oil/Manual Trans/Diff - Analysis

I took my 2011 335i to the dealer for the first engine oil change at about 1,280 miles, then took it in to change the engine oil, manual transmission oil, and diff lube at 5,111 miles. Pundits here argue both schools of thought - the factory recommended intervals and the 'old school' BMW maintenance program, so I had Blackstone labs check samples. I don't have any regrets about changing out these fluids, as I keep cars for 10+ years wanted the peace of mind.

Since the dealer installed the Performance Power Kit, the oil change interval shown on the display cut in half. I wondered why this was the case, but the analysis didn't indicate any issues.

Below are the analyses for all three.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 335 oil.pdf (678.0 KB, 683 views)
File Type: pdf 335 trans.pdf (675.6 KB, 329 views)
File Type: pdf 335 diff.pdf (657.3 KB, 285 views)
'17 Audi A4 Ultra, Monsoon Grey, Wife's car
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 09:17 AM   #2
123Britt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i AT

Wow! Agressive

I see the answer to your post divide into 2 different camps.
Most BMW owners don't really care about owning the car past 100k - and therfore; simply follow the BMW (disposable car) plan.
Others - and many on this forum -- hedge toward the MM Old School Plan.

My thoughts have been that the N54 / N55 are in a different class and demand fluid changes beyond the standard.
If you change often -- then the brand or specific oil does not really mater as long as it meets the LL-01 (LL-04 EU) spec.
I change every 5k with M1 0w-40 (buy in qty on sale). I did change the MT fluid at 49k with OEM (expensive from Tischer). Though I have yet to suck out the diff fluid -- do plan on in the Spring.

As a prior VW Passat owner -- I have found a distinct difference in the BMW Forum community vs VW. BMW owners take the car to the delership for most work and dispose of the car before the car reaches 50k simply to buy a new one ~ VW owners are fanatic about maintenance and often DIY .

Summary: BMW is listining to the financial contollers and have positioned resale values post 50k to drop at accerated rates due to inferrior maint scheduled. Your eagerness to aggressively pursue fluid maint will help your long term resale value. However, the car is built to last 100k with existing BMW maint plan. I plan on owning my 07 335i post 100k -- so I am with you on the agressive maint schedule -- esp since you have the perf boost mod.

Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 10:02 AM   #3
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

And this UOA tells you exactly what?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 11:07 AM   #4
123Britt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i AT

Uoa & What Exactly Did The Palm Reader Say

1. That the oil is good beyond the current agressive intervals
2. The NEW MOD is not been even registered by the oil condition
3. The owner is in the 1% who even bother with UOA / Blackstone
4. Another oil post is aggravating a 4k plus forum poster
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 04:14 PM   #5
111R
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Another oil post is aggravating a 4k plus forum poster
Thanks 123Britt! You saved me the trouble

All kidding aside, my plan is to follow a 5k oil change interval from this point forward, with an occasional test to see if everything looks okay.

Quote:
I plan on owning my 07 335i post 100k -- so I am with you on the agressive maint schedule -- esp since you have the perf boost mod.
I'm also planning on owning post 100k, so to me the extra cost/trouble of changing fluids more often is worth it. Since I've done car restoration in the past, changing fluids is something I have the capability of doing, but I choose to take cars to the dealership for everything during the warranty period. That way, if anything goes wrong during that time, it's the dealer's problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 09:49 PM   #6
Glim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i & 2013 X5 35i

Oh no

Why start another oil analysis vs CBS battle royal?

Just use the search function on the forum and read all about it, every week there is a new thread started.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 01:41 AM   #7
The Wildcard
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

Thanks for the info 111R. Appreciate you sharing it. I don't have a manual but the oil analysis was useful.

Quick question, what was the duration between your first and second oil changes? Between approx 1,280 miles and 5,111 miles?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 09:31 AM   #8
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wildcard View Post
Thanks for the info 111R. Appreciate you sharing it. I don't have a manual but the oil analysis was useful.

Quick question, what was the duration between your first and second oil changes? Between approx 1,280 miles and 5,111 miles?
3,8xx miles
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 04:58 PM   #9
111R
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

3,831 to be exact.

I had hoped to change engine oil every 5k miles from now on to keep it simple: 5k, 10k, 15k, etc. There is a slight problem with this plan. My car's computer says that my 'free' scheduled oil change is to be done at 6,000 miles. I asked my service advisor if they could reset it since it was so close. Turns out that they can't AND if I want to avoid any warranty issues, I'll have to change it at 6k miles, when I'll have only 900 miles on the oil currently in the car.

Now that I know this, I can hopefully get close to 5k mile increments between the 'mandatory' oil changes, for which I'm not charged. I suppose that if I had known this beforehand, I just would have waited until 6k to do all of this. Since I was going to do the trans and diff anyway, I'm just out one oil change, which was heavily discounted by the SA since I did all three changes in one visit. Besides, I should have the cleanest oil in town....
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 07:29 AM   #10
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 111R View Post
3,831 to be exact.

I had hoped to change engine oil every 5k miles from now on to keep it simple: 5k, 10k, 15k, etc. There is a slight problem with this plan. My car's computer says that my 'free' scheduled oil change is to be done at 6,000 miles. I asked my service advisor if they could reset it since it was so close. Turns out that they can't AND if I want to avoid any warranty issues, I'll have to change it at 6k miles, when I'll have only 900 miles on the oil currently in the car.

Now that I know this, I can hopefully get close to 5k mile increments between the 'mandatory' oil changes, for which I'm not charged. I suppose that if I had known this beforehand, I just would have waited until 6k to do all of this. Since I was going to do the trans and diff anyway, I'm just out one oil change, which was heavily discounted by the SA since I did all three changes in one visit. Besides, I should have the cleanest oil in town....
Just an Fyi. The mileage displayed isn't actual. You'll see that it'll stall then drop 1k miles then stall and drop again etc. Typical rule of thumb I've seen among BMW owners who do a mid interval change is about every 7k actual miles regardless of what the CBS says. Also the CBS won't adjust the interval based upon your change. Remember your using an oil which is ACEA A3/B4 so it's built to handle high heat and long drains. This isn't Castrol GTX.

Last edited by F32Fleet; 12-28-2011 at 07:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 09:10 AM   #11
111R
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just an Fyi. The mileage displayed isn't actual. You'll see that it'll stall then drop 1k miles then stall and drop again etc. Typical rule of thumb I've seen among BMW owners who do a mid interval change is about every 7k actual miles regardless of what the CBS says. Also the CBS won't adjust the interval based upon your change. Remember your using an oil which is ACEA A3/B4 so it's built to handle high heat and long drains. This isn't Castrol GTX.
When I first picked up the car in Munich, the display read 14k miles. Soon afterwards, it dropped to 13k, not unlike what you say. When I had the Performance Power Kit installed at ~3,800 miles, it dropped immediately to 7k, then shortly dropped to 6k. One of the reasons for the additional analysis was that I was concerned about why the halving of the recommended interval after PPK installation. Note that the analysis states that no ill effects were found, such as increased unburned gasoline in the oil, etc.

Any thoughts on this?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 09:40 AM   #12
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 111R View Post
When I first picked up the car in Munich, the display read 14k miles. Soon afterwards, it dropped to 13k, not unlike what you say. When I had the Performance Power Kit installed at ~3,800 miles, it dropped immediately to 7k, then shortly dropped to 6k. One of the reasons for the additional analysis was that I was concerned about why the halving of the recommended interval after PPK installation. Note that the analysis states that no ill effects were found, such as increased unburned gasoline in the oil, etc.

Any thoughts on this?
Honestly I don't know what to tell you. From my own experience (E46 330, e90 330/335d) the counter will probably settle out @ 6k miles before dropping again. I wish BMW didn't use miles when displaying how close we are to the next oil change. It makes.everyone neurotic (myself included).
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 04:04 PM   #13
bimmercub
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325I

We have to make our own rules regarding when to change oil/fluids. I did farther: I did start with the opposite, Royal Purple as a car oil, I did find lots of changes in my car, fuil economy, car idle had become stable and colds starts are smoother. 3 months after, when my car got 70000 miles I decided to go Royal Purple ATF Fluid. Wow, that was a difference, the car shifts very smooth and transmission seems not to work hard and the car runs cooler.

I am doing 5 K oil change too, but I just change the oil filter when I do get 2500 miles.

I added the Royal Purple Coolant additive too.

I might be crazy, but the car had work good and soft. I did buy it used last june and the previous owner never took good care of it. I saw it as soon I saw the engine, so far my little tricks had worked good.