E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Buying over email/phone tips

08-23-2010, 12:45 PM   #1
l0aded
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: soon2b e92 335i

Buying over email/phone tips

Hey all,

So I've never thought about purchasing a car from a dealer too far away until now and was wondering how the whole process works. I have already emailed the dealer and told him which car I am interested in and he asked how serious I am about buying / where I am. I responded accordingly and asked for pictures of the car. I'm wondering how the whole negotiations portion of this is supposed to work out. In my head I see it going back and forth via e-mail saying numbers and would like to hear someone else's experience if possible. Also when a price is settled do I put down a deposit to hold the car? (I have heard plenty or stories where the dealer agrees on a price and when the buyer comes in the next day it has already been sold).

Any comments are welcome.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 01:59 PM   #2
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

I have made several posts on this topic.
The way to negotiate and buy at a good prices is to know the price you want to pay and know that that price has profit in it for the dealer.

With that known, you tell the salesperson:

I see you have this car priced at (such and such). I cannot afford that much. I will pay X-dollars for it and I am willing to sign the deal now.

They will always counter offer, because not to do so would be a stupid thing on their part. When they counter, tell, them:

Well, thanks for your time, but that's more than I can spend. Goodbye.

Key success factors for this technique to work:

* The amount you offer must have profit in it for the dealer! I don't know how you can actually figure that out buying a used car. I guess you can go with what KBB or some other such group suggests is a good price.
* Research the car you want with the options you want. The only options that actually matter in used car pricing are: Leather, transmission, Navigation system, wheels, and suspension. Everything else doesn't really change the car's build or character.
* Do not use this tactic if you are not ready to buy the instant you make your offer. This is critical because a deal now means something to a dealer. A deal anytime after now is a deal that is at risk for all sorts of things to change your mind.
* You must not haggle. You made an offer because it's what you have (or want) to spend. If you haggle using this technique, you have thrown away your credibility because nobody who has a specific sum that is what they said they can afford to spend will agree to pay more than they can afford to spend. (Well, some people obviously do agree to spend/buy more than they can afford; those people default on their home loans.) This means also that when you get into the finance guy's office, you must decline the crap he offers to sell you, again, because it will cause you to spend more than you said you could afford. If you wanted the extended warranty/service plan, you must have stated that as part of your offer. Everything else this guy will offer you isn't worth buying anyway.
* You must negotiate on one and only one car. The reason is that when you offered a price on the first car, you told them how much you have to spend. Switching you to a different car allows them to match the money you have to spend (you said how much it is above) with the profit they want to make. At that point, the negotiation becomes one of "this car is worth this much and that car is worth that much," and you won't come out ahead in that sort of negotiating situation.

If you are willing to buy any 335 they have, your initial offer should instead say:
I want a (insert year) 335i (insert sedan, coupe, xdrive, or deisel) having no more than (x miles) and such and such options on it. I am willing to pay x-dollars, (including/not including) the extended service plan/warranty, for it and I will buy it now. What do you have that fits my guidelines?

Again, when they counter. You will say:
Well, that's more than I have to spend. Thanks for your time. Goodbye.

Now you leave or ask them to call a taxi for you.

Unless I'm trading in a car, I go to the dealership without a means of transport to get home. Why? Because it reinforces the fact that I went there fully intending to buy a car and confident about the money I was offering. I have never had to go home from the dealership in anything other than the car I intended to buy.

I can absolutely guarantee you that if they have a car that fits your guidelines, and that they the can make money on, they will not let you walk out of the dealership because you told them you are willing to buy now. If they let you walk out it can be for only two reasons:
1 - They can't make money on your offer.
2 - They don't have a car you want to buy.

The reason this is so is simple: the dealer is in business to make money.
1 - There is a specific car you want and it is on their lot.

2 - You have money to spend on a car on their lot.
3 - You are willing to buy that car now.

Remember, you are conducting a business transaction rather than making a "feel good" purchase. The simple fact is that NO dealer having a clear opportunity to make money now will risk letting some other dealer earn that money.

(Here's a post I wrote that discusses the economics of car dealerships. It'll be good reading if you want to maximize your negotiating position and power. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=418219&page=2)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed

Last edited by tony20009; 09-26-2010 at 08:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 09:43 PM   #3
Yankees 2010
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

number 1 thing to talk about is "what is the out the door price" forget about him saying discount this and discount that. Remember always ask what the bottom line is
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 03:18 AM   #4
l0aded
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: soon2b e92 335i

thanks for the tips guys. so far he hasnt emailed me back yet.. so im calling him in the morning.
Appreciate 0