E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Transmission Fluid Options - Solved

12-26-2019, 05:58 PM   #45
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

From those of you that are running the Valvoline MaxLife ATF in your 335i ZF 6HP21 transmissions....how is it hiking up? Any issues?

Is the MaxLife still considered a good alternative to the pricey ZF fluid?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 12:09 PM   #46
zoppp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E60 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post
From those of you that are running the Valvoline MaxLife ATF in your 335i ZF 6HP21 transmissions....how is it hiking up? Any issues?

Is the MaxLife still considered a good alternative to the pricey ZF fluid?
I can't confirm how the fluid will hold up in the 6hp21 but it has been holding up fine in my 6hp19. EDIT: I checked my trans model and it is actually a 6hp21.
I do notice that sometimes my 3rd gear will be skipped or will slip sometimes at only 60mph but this is most likely a symptom of a bad valve body/mechatronic seal which is preventing proper fluid pressure from being applied to the clutch. To prevent clutch/brake wear the trans will skip that gear under high load to prevent the slipping (wear) of the system. This issue was present prior to the fluid flush and has returned. Car is at 140k miles, over 40k on maxlife fluid. Someone posted earlier in this thread the updated spec sheet/application sheet from Valvoline.

Check this link: https://www.machinerylubrication.com...-systems-fluid
There is a section in that article called "fluid propertie". Each of the fluid specs should be listed on the fluid data sheet and as long as the fluid you are using had same or very similar specs, it should theoretically be indistinguishable for the hydraulic pump. The main difference between fluids at that point would be additive packages containing friction modifiers.

Quote:
Fluid Properties
When choosing a hydraulic fluid, consider the following characteristics: viscosity, viscosity index, oxidation stability and wear resistance. These characteristics will determine how your fluid operates within your system. Fluid property testing is done in accordance with either American Society of Testing and Materials (ASTM) or other recognized standards organizations.

Viscosity (ASTM D445-97) is the measure of a fluid’s resistance to flow and shear. A fluid of higher viscosity will flow with higher resistance compared to a fluid with a low viscosity. Excessively high viscosity can contribute to high fluid temperature and greater energy consumption. Viscosity that is too high or too low can damage a system, and consequently, is the key factor when considering a hydraulic fluid.

Viscosity Index (ASTM D2270) is how the viscosity of a fluid changes with a change in temperature. A high VI fluid will maintain its viscosity over a broader temperature range than a low VI fluid of the same weight. High VI fluids are used where temperature extremes are expected. This is particularly important for hydraulic systems that operate outdoors.

Oxidation Stability (ASTM D2272 and others) is the fluid’s resistance to heat-induced degradation caused by a chemical reaction with oxygen. Oxidation greatly reduces the life of a fluid, leaving by-products such as sludge and varnish. Varnish interferes with valve functioning and can restrict flow passageways.

Wear Resistance (ASTM D2266 and others) is the lubricant’s ability to reduce the wear rate in frictional boundary contacts. This is achieved when the fluid forms a protective film on metal surfaces to prevent abrasion, scuffing and contact fatigue on component surfaces.

Last edited by zoppp; 10-09-2022 at 04:17 AM.. Reason: update what trans I actually have
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 12:17 AM   #47
zoppp
Private First Class
Rep

3-8-2020 Update:
Car is sitting at 143k Miles, with around 40k miles on the maxlife fluid.
Changed the trans fluid while I was doing my oil change and found the maxlife fluid was slightly blackish but still could see the original red color, seems normal for ATF. Filled back up with the "new" maxlife (new container design) you can pick up at any autoparts store. Since doing the second change, most of the fluid should now be maxlife with very little original LG6 left in the trans. Reset the adaptations and followed
These Instructions for relearning the adapations.

Trans is still shifting great, the slight shudder I was feeling at 1k is gone and the intermittent torque converter lockup clutch disengagement at 60mph is gone. Transmissions seems to be performing overlapping gear changes smoothly. Will keep an eye out on the clutch fill times and adaption line pressures.

Last edited by zoppp; 03-08-2020 at 12:18 AM.. Reason: LF6 > LG6
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 01:09 PM   #48
jlrosine
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoppp View Post
3-8-2020 Update:
Car is sitting at 143k Miles, with around 40k miles on the maxlife fluid.
Changed the trans fluid while I was doing my oil change and found the maxlife fluid was slightly blackish but still could see the original red color, seems normal for ATF. Filled back up with the "new" maxlife (new container design) you can pick up at any autoparts store. Since doing the second change, most of the fluid should now be maxlife with very little original LG6 left in the trans. Reset the adaptations and followed
These Instructions for relearning the adapations.

Trans is still shifting great, the slight shudder I was feeling at 1k is gone and the intermittent torque converter lockup clutch disengagement at 60mph is gone. Transmissions seems to be performing overlapping gear changes smoothly. Will keep an eye out on the clutch fill times and adaption line pressures.

Thank you for providing all of the updates, I have a 2010 e60 535i that I just bought fluid/pan/sleeves for, the fluid has never been changed and I'm about to do it all now with 111k miles. I haven't driven the car much but it shifts hard from 2nd to 1st (I've read that's usually the sleeves/valve seals/fluid being old).

I've used Maxlife in my Toyoto Sequoia (2008 6spd with 5.7L) and I tow a big tandem axle boat, I have over 200k miles on the Toyota and about 30-40k on Maxlife, it shifts like new and I'm hard on it.

I've used Maxlife in my Lexus RX350 and Nissan Xterra, Xterra has 200k miles, about 100k miles on Maxlife, zero issues.

Before reading this thread I jumped the gun and bought ZF fluid online. I'll probably just use the LG6 for now, but flush again in 30-60k with Maxlife after reading this.

It's weird how a lot of people just don't want cheaper things to be good. It happens with cars/computers/boats/clothes....people don't want to believe that a fluid that's 1/2 the cost or 1/4 the cost could possibly perform, but it does in most cases.

I can understand how some people here think it's not a big deal to save $100, but try that if you maintain a "fleet". I have 4 kids, and 5 cars at the house currently. If I can use Maxlife in all of the cars and it works flawlessly, it's much easier/cheaper for me. I also don't have to purge the pump when switching fluid types. Another bonus of cheap fluid is that you can do it every 30k. Honda and other manufacturers actually recommend this over full flushes. Typically when you just drain and fill you get 3-4qts. Do that every 30k instead of waiting to 60-100k. Don't wait for the problems to come before doing something about it.

Each to their own I suppose, keep the updates coming zoppp!.

BTW...have you changed your seals yet above the mechatronix?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 01:15 PM   #49
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

I've got about 8k miles on the Maxlife fluid I put in my ZF 6HP21.....working fantastic!! Not a single issue at all. I'm running close to 420-ish hp at the tires, and the transmission works great! I see no reason not to use it.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2022, 03:59 AM   #50
zoppp
Private First Class
Rep

10-9-2022 Update: At 170k miles. Recently was getting some jerky shifting and flares on shifts so I decided to service the mechatronic unit. Took 2 days in total, but now have new solenoids and seals. Filled the car back up with Valvoline Maxlife I recently bought at Walmart. Took it for the adaption drive and it's shifting smoothly and very quickly. Transmission feels practically new. At this point I expect there is practically no LF6 in the transmission and it is running 100% max life. Will have to send the fluid I drained out for analysis. It was definitely darker than what I put in but still was red.

I drive this car like I stole it every day and it's still going strong with Maxlife.

Last edited by zoppp; 10-09-2022 at 04:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2022, 02:06 PM   #51
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoppp View Post
10-9-2022 Update: At 170k miles. Recently was getting some jerky shifting and flares on shifts so I decided to service the mechatronic unit. Took 2 days in total, but now have new solenoids and seals. Filled the car back up with Valvoline Maxlife I recently bought at Walmart. Took it for the adaption drive and it's shifting smoothly and very quickly. Transmission feels practically new. At this point I expect there is practically no LF6 in the transmission and it is running 100% max life. Will have to send the fluid I drained out for analysis. It was definitely darker than what I put in but still was red.

I drive this car like I stole it every day and it's still going strong with Maxlife.
I've got around 12K miles on the Maxlife fluid I put in my trans back when I installed new shift solenoids and seals. Still working great...no slipping, and I'm putting down close to 575-600hp. For the price, that Maxlife fluid is hard to beat.
2007 335i, BMS DCI, BMS Chargepipe w/Tial BOV, ARM Catless Downpipes, silicone inlets, Bilstein B12 Prokit Suspension, Whiteline subframe bushings, Front/Rear M3 control arms, G-Plus FMIC, Stage 2 LPFP, Custom E40 tune by Justin (V8Bait), xHP stage 3 transmission flash, RB Two Turbos....10.90 @ 128mph
Appreciate 0