E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > 2006 325xi 3 x O2 sensor heater codes appear simultaneously - cause?

10-13-2017, 03:57 PM   #1
relevante
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

2006 325xi 3 x O2 sensor heater codes appear simultaneously - cause?

Hey all,

I'm getting ready to sell my 2006 325xi wagon (love the car, but the family just outgrew it), but it's got the check engine lamp on. I'm considering just moving it as is, but if it's something fairly easy/quick, I'd like to either DIY it or maybe take it to a shop as otherwise it's in pretty solid shape and I think the light is going to scare a lot of otherwise interested buyers away.

I'm getting 3 codes:
P0050
P0036
P0056

which appear to be bank 1 sensor 2 and bank 2 sensors 1&2 O2 sensor heater circuit faults.

Just before I quit driving the car, it developed an exhaust leak, and then shortly thereafter the service light came on. I was hopeful that it was just the leak, so I took it to a shop which replaced a gasket and fixed the leak, but unfortunately after resetting the light, it remained and I found these codes.

I went from no light to all 3 codes in a short period of time, so my guess is that it's a wiring issue somewhere, as opposed to three O2 sensors that just happened to fail one after the other. But even that's just a hunch. I'm hoping maybe someone with more experience than me could say "Oh yeah, just check the connector in xxxxx place!" or otherwise help me shortcut the diagnosis time.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

P.S. I should also mention, if anyone's interested, it's a sweet car. 6-speed manual, runs great, new shocks/springs, new water pump, etc. Happy to share more if there's interest, but I know this isn't the section for a full sales pitch.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 03:18 AM   #2
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan

First off. Our cars have AFR sensors.
Not o2.
Sensor 1 is before CAT.
Sensor 2 is post CAT.
Bank 1 is cyl: 1,2,3
Bank 2 is cyl: 4,5,6

If you have a post cat sensor code.
Then it's either sensor or cat.

Pre cat code - now..... quick test...
Swap both pre cat sensors.
See if code follows.
It's the sensor.
Else you have an air leak.... somewhere.

Now the twist in your discription:
The heater code..... look for a blown 30amp fuse in the glove box and also the fuses by the DME.

This 1 fuse just might fix all your issues.

If not.... next step.... Start changing out sensors.
Look up Bosch oem part number.
Then search for the bosch part number rather than BMW part number.
Just cheaper price..... same part.

If this does not work.
Then pM me, cause I had to take it to the dealer and demand a special test that cost me 1 hour diagnostic only.

Good luck.
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2022, 05:55 AM   #3
manecasbraga
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw e90 328i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by relevante View Post
Hey all,

I'm getting ready to sell my 2006 325xi wagon (love the car, but the family just outgrew it), but it's got the check engine lamp on. I'm considering just moving it as is, but if it's something fairly easy/quick, I'd like to either DIY it or maybe take it to a shop as otherwise it's in pretty solid shape and I think the light is going to scare a lot of otherwise interested buyers away.

I'm getting 3 codes:
P0050
P0036
P0056

which appear to be bank 1 sensor 2 and bank 2 sensors 1&2 O2 sensor heater circuit faults.

Just before I quit driving the car, it developed an exhaust leak, and then shortly thereafter the service light came on. I was hopeful that it was just the leak, so I took it to a shop which replaced a gasket and fixed the leak, but unfortunately after resetting the light, it remained and I found these codes.

I went from no light to all 3 codes in a short period of time, so my guess is that it's a wiring issue somewhere, as opposed to three O2 sensors that just happened to fail one after the other. But even that's just a hunch. I'm hoping maybe someone with more experience than me could say "Oh yeah, just check the connector in xxxxx place!" or otherwise help me shortcut the diagnosis time.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

P.S. I should also mention, if anyone's interested, it's a sweet car. 6-speed manual, runs great, new shocks/springs, new water pump, etc. Happy to share more if there's interest, but I know this isn't the section for a full sales pitch.

Hi you found the problem? Because I got a same problem and I no touch any sensor...
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2022, 06:19 AM   #4
relevante
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

I ended up just replacing the three sensors and it was OK after that.
Appreciate 0