E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > Fixing side mirrors that keep adjusting themselves

01-10-2015, 07:01 PM   #1
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Fixing side mirrors that keep adjusting themselves

My drivers side mirror seem to move by itself and was in a different spot each time i got into the car. Really sick on having to adjust it back to the right spot all the time.... Found a DIY on the net so had a go and problem fixed....

This DIY is based on the fix posted by wilsjay

Problem: Drivers side mirror keeps moving from where you set it
Cause: Corrosion on the mirror motor connector pins
Fix: Remove mirror glass, motor, clean pins
Time: Approx 15 mins
Difficulty: 2/10

Notes:
The drivers side mirror adjusts automatically to the last position in the seat memory/key fob (regardless of if you have auto adjust on or off in idrive)
Corrosion on the mirror motor pins can cause the mirror to self adjust to the wrong position

The passenger side mirror does not self adjust.
Some people have reported that their passenger side mirror will point down to the ground. This is normal. Its a feature to help see the curb when reversing.
The feature is activated by having your mirror switch in the right position. If you want to turn this function off, keep your mirror switch in the left position (for RHD car)

The following fix is for the drivers side mirror problem

Step 1 - Removing mirror glass
The glass mirror is glued to a plastic backing plate that clips onto the mirror motor inside the mirror casing
It is pops off easily with a bit of light prying with a screw driver inserted behind the mirrors plastic backing plate
Use light pressure, working around the mirror until it pops off
Careful not to drop it !!

Step 2 - Disconnecting the mirror
Depending on the type of mirror you have (heated, folding etc) there will be a number of wires to unplug before you can free the mirror
Mine is the basic version so there are only two small wires to disconnect
Unplug them and put the mirror somewhere safe

Step 3 - Removing the mirror motor
The mirror motor is secured in place with a single torx screw
Remove the screw and put it somewhere safe
The mirror motor is now held in place by a connector behind the motor, simply pull the motor towards you and it will pop off (feels like it is still screwed in but it is not, just takes a little effort)

Step 4 - Exposing the corroded connector pins
With the mirror motor out, turn it over and you will see the connector pins that need cleaning.
To get access to the pins, remove the mirror motor back cover.
Simply pull the cover at the 3 tabs and it will pop off easily

Step 5 - Cleaning the corroded connector pins
Using a emery board or small nail file, lightly sand each of the pins to remove any corrosion. Take care not to bend or break any of the pins, don't go crazy, a light sand is all that is needed!!!

Step 6 - Reassembly and testing
Reverse the process to reassemble:

* Take care to align the corrector pins and the blue connector when plugging back in the mirror motor.
* Don't forget to plug in the wires onto the right connections before refitting the mirror
* Push the mirror in the middle (not the sides) when refitting the mirror to the mirror motor

To test, get in the car and insert key fob without starting car
Adjust the mirror using the controls to make sure everything in connected properly

Remove the key fob from the ignition and without getting out of the car, lock and unlock the car with the key fob.
The mirror should move to its set position. Test it out by adjusting the mirror to another position and seeing if it goes back to the same position when locking/unlocking the car

If everything is working, adjust the mirror to your desired position and store the new setting in the seat memory before removing the key fob

Key and seat should now be programmed and the mirror should reset correctly each time you open the car
Attached Images

Last edited by Socket; 01-10-2015 at 07:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 05:50 AM   #2
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30

will try this! mine keeps doing it aswell but wasnt sure if it was a setting in the 1 - 2 electric seating thing
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 03:12 PM   #3
Pawlin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 N51

Awesome! However, this isn't specific to driver's side only is it? I have the same issue with my M3 mirrors but on the passenger side.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 01:23 AM   #4
04gto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 330e

20 minutes

Thanks so much OP. I followed these instructions and was done in under 20 minutes, including the time it took me to round up the tools. Only things I did different was I used standard electronic contact cleaner and then then dried it with a can of PC air cleaner. No more annoyingly reaching for the mirror controls everytime I get in my car.
      04-28-2015, 03:39 AM   #5
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Most welcome glad it helped out
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 03:45 AM   #6
mkov608
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Coupe; Montego Blue

Mirror Problem Solved!

Thank you for the post! The problem with my driver's side mirror is that it would only rotate about 5 degrees when your pressed the button. So, I took everything apart, and that was easy! What I found was the white lithium grease lost a lot of the base lubricant (dried out). That combined with all of the dirt was too much for the motor. I cleaned it all up and sprayed some CRC 6-56 in the mechanism, and it works like new. The dealer wanted to replace my mirror assembly.[IMG][/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 04:04 AM   #7
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkov608 View Post
Thank you for the post! The problem with my driver's side mirror is that it would only rotate about 5 degrees when your pressed the button. So, I took everything apart, and that was easy! What I found was the white lithium grease lost a lot of the base lubricant (dried out). That combined with all of the dirt was too much for the motor. I cleaned it all up and sprayed some CRC 6-56 in the mechanism, and it works like new. The dealer wanted to replace my mirror assembly.[IMG][/IMG]
Glad this helped and saved you some money replacing something that didn't need to be.... oh and your 6-56 mechanism fix a nice addition to this thread
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 02:42 PM   #8
Tbeaz88
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Black on Black

did you detach the mirror from the triangular base?? I am about to go from LCI mirrors to PRE LCI and the Pre LCI's have the matte black trim, where the one trim on mine is the gloss. I was going to remove the mirror from that base and re-attach the replacement mirror to the gloss black. Do you think this is possible?? Thanks and great write-up!! very well explained and highly detailed!! People like you save us a lot of money and it is greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 08:26 AM   #9
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbeaz88 View Post
did you detach the mirror from the triangular base?? I am about to go from LCI mirrors to PRE LCI and the Pre LCI's have the matte black trim, where the one trim on mine is the gloss. I was going to remove the mirror from that base and re-attach the replacement mirror to the gloss black. Do you think this is possible?? Thanks and great write-up!! very well explained and highly detailed!! People like you save us a lot of money and it is greatly appreciated!
Thanks Beaz
Happy to give back to the community where I can
Re your question, no I didn't remove the mirror from the base.
It is certainly possible , peeps do it when installing replacement mirrors as you are planning
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2016, 02:05 PM   #10
dshull001
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

All I can say is THANK YOU and WOW!!! This was way to simple to not have tried it before today. If you're thinking this is too easy to be true, one thing your right about, it is way too easy ... but it is TRUE. Only took 15 mins and now my driver mirror is staying put. Don't hesitate ... you can do it !!!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2016, 10:18 PM   #11
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshull001 View Post
All I can say is THANK YOU and WOW!!! This was way to simple to not have tried it before today. If you're thinking this is too easy to be true, one thing your right about, it is way too easy ... but it is TRUE. Only took 15 mins and now my driver mirror is staying put. Don't hesitate ... you can do it !!!
lol yep super easy, glad it worked for you
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 11:41 AM   #12
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Just an update on this thread from the UK. A forum member here has cured this issue without cleaning the contacts. He simply unplugged and re-plugged the connector and the mirror 're-set' to normal operation.

Just in case it helps anyone...
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 1
Socket4524.50
      10-25-2017, 09:16 PM   #13
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

I would recommend using CAIG DeOxit contact cleaner spray. No need to rub emery cloth.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 09:47 AM   #14
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

Also add some dielectric grease to the assembly process to prevent it coming back. I jam that shit into any plug that is exposed to weather. It displaces the water and doesn't harden/dissolve so nothing can get to the plug.
Appreciate 0