E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Eccentric shaft sensor or valvetronic motor failure?

11-18-2014, 05:19 PM   #1
MBP0202
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: n52

Eccentric shaft sensor or valvetronic motor failure?

Hi guys,

Looking for some advice from people who have had this problem (probably higher mileage cars...) My car is 2007 E90 328xi with 94,000 miles.

Timeline:

On Saturday, Nov 15th when I tried to start the car (cold engine) when it had been sitting overnight it struggled to start up. It took me 3 times, and then it finally started, car ran fine.

On Sunday, Nov 16th, I tried to start the car (cold engine) and it did the same thing, did not start. Finally got it to start on the fifth try, but now the CEL light is illuminated.

----When the car has been driven and it the engine is warm, the car can be turned off and started with no problem at all.

Yesterday, the car did not start at all. After multiple attempts to start it, it just won't fire up. The fact that it's 20-30 degrees is just making it that much worse

Here are the codes below...

So as you can see, we're either looking at the eccentric shaft sensor or the valvetronic motor as a culprit.

And here's the kicker when I was done replacing the valve cover gasket (70k), I specially ordered a new eccentric shaft sensor gasket to replace the old one. I was so amazed that oil hadn't gotten in there and fouled the sensor that I bought a new one to prevent that from happening. Didn't want to buy a $300 sensor if I could avoid it On Sunday, I also pulled out the eccentric shaft sensor cap to inspect it and there was no oil in there so...

I'll try to get a picture so you can see how clean the sensor connection is and the lack of oil, but since it gets dark and the sun goes down at 4pm and I can't get the car in the garage where the tools are...

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.

2007 E90 328xi l 6MT l Sparkling Graphite Metallic l ZSP l ZPP l ZCW l iDrive l Logic 7 l Mapleridge Headers l 3 Stage Intake Manifold l AA tune l BMW Performance Intake l Euphoria 6K LED interior l Blacklines l V3 Mtec l VMR VB3
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 06:07 PM   #2
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Check the fuse first:

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 09:08 PM   #3
mrtt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46/E60/E92/F10/E55

Before ordering new parts, check your battery condition and hook up to another car to see if your car starts right away
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 12:38 AM   #4
hongsc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

Sounds like the Eccentric Shaft Sensor. I had an oil leak and it got into it. Pretty soon you'll have to get your car jumped.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1041645
      11-20-2014, 06:53 PM   #5
MBP0202
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Update:

Finally got the car in the garage and was able to take off the engine cover to get a look at the eccentric shaft connecter, and not much oil in there.

I read a post on another forum that someone had 4 out of the 5 codes that I'm pulling. He replaced the Valvetronic motor and that DID NOT solve the problem so I'm pretty sure it's the eccentric shaft sensor.

I also pulled off the DME/ECU cover and inspected the fuses and they checked out so I think it's time to do the valve cover job again...

I think the oil has fouled the sensor, but since I replaced the gasket up top I'm not seeing it. I'm pretty sure when I take off the valve cover, take out the eccentric shaft sensor and pry off the backing plate I'm going to see something similar to this...

On a good note, besides the sand & dirt, I did not see any pools of oil near any of the coils (not one failed coil yet ) so the Valvetronic motor gasket is holding up well, but it'll be replaced just in case anyways because it has to come off to get to the valve cover. I'll keep everyone posted.

2007 E90 328xi l 6MT l Sparkling Graphite Metallic l ZSP l ZPP l ZCW l iDrive l Logic 7 l Mapleridge Headers l 3 Stage Intake Manifold l AA tune l BMW Performance Intake l Euphoria 6K LED interior l Blacklines l V3 Mtec l VMR VB3
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 08:08 AM   #6
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBP0202 View Post
Update:

Finally got the car in the garage and was able to take off the engine cover to get a look at the eccentric shaft connecter, and not much oil in there.
There shouldn't be any oil, so it seems likely you have narrowed in on at least 1 problem.
      11-22-2014, 09:39 PM   #7
MBP0202
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Well add another victim to the eccentric shaft sensor column. So if you get the codes I listed above, the lesson is that even though you may not see oil pooled in the connector above, oil has most likely fouled the eccentric shaft sensor underneath the valve cover. This is what I found when I took off the backing plate...

But of course no job is complete without something going wrong, and in this case it was one of the 10mm bolts holding the valve cover on. First one came out no problem, but the other one snapped almost in half

Luckily, it didn't prevent me from getting the valve cover off. Pictures show one side compared to the other. Any ideas on how to remove this?

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 05:35 PM   #8
E90 Duuuude
Rep
Drives: Bmw 328xi

Bmw 328i multiple misfire

Can anyone tell me when I'm throwing all these codes ?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2022, 11:56 AM   #9
neo24gr
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 320i

Fault code 2a70

Hello

I have a Bmw e91 320i 2006 model

And I have this fault code 2A70

Car is running fine,I don't feel any power loses.

I have this code for a year now.

I delete it but it comes again.

I replace battery coils spark plugs.

I found some oil on valvetronic sensor and I cleaned.

Nothing changed.

The only thing I noticed is it consuming more fuel.

Some help ?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2022, 06:17 PM   #10
cesararoche
Rep
Drives: BMW x3 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBP0202 View Post
Well add another victim to the eccentric shaft sensor column. So if you get the codes I listed above, the lesson is that even though you may not see oil pooled in the connector above, oil has most likely fouled the eccentric shaft sensor underneath the valve cover. This is what I found when I took off the backing plate...

But of course no job is complete without something going wrong, and in this case it was one of the 10mm bolts holding the valve cover on. First one came out no problem, but the other one snapped almost in half

Luckily, it didn't prevent me from getting the valve cover off. Pictures show one side compared to the other. Any ideas on how to remove this?

Hi, replace the Eccentric shaft sensor solve the error codes?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 08:57 PM   #11
MBP0202
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Yes it did.

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 12:33 AM   #12
wagonBoi48
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2006 E91 N52 6MT

sorry to revive but for anyone having nightmare valvetronic issues on the N51/N52 and so on i just went THRU it.
if you are pulling p1030 p1056 or bmw codes 2A3F 2A38 go and look at the battery cables in the trunk first which will require removing the battery. sometimes water can end up in there due to a bad trunk/gate seal.

If they look fine check the wheel well side as well. In my case the vvt power wire was corroded at the connector there and looked fine on battery side. Spliced in a new wire..
Drove the car for 4 days fixed then got stuck with no acceleration pedal on the side of the road.

After replacing the valvetronic motor and pulling the valve cover replacing 2 eccentric shaft sensors it turned out the be the 40 amp fuse near the DME under the hood. it looked fine but when i removed it all the way it was broken and melted on the bottom. probably from getting too hot with that corrosion previously mentioned .
replaced that fuse and Car is running top now.. cheers
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 05:16 PM   #13
generationbimmer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i E90 N52

Hey All,

Im another victim of this weird issue.

I recently pulled out my eccentric shaft sensor only to see it seemed pretty dry so just for save measure i have no spare parts i cleaned it with mass airflow sensor cleaner and compressed air plugged back in and seemed fine for about 40km. Then code 2A38 with CC-ID 29 engine jerking and stuttering loss of power. These are all the codes ive pulled over the span of a few weeks i just cant seem to narrow it down.

2A38 - DME: Control unit, internal fault: Valvetronic output stage
2A3F - DME: Valvetronic, actuator motor: power supply
2A45 - DME: Valvetronic, actuator motor: plausibility
2A77 - DME: Control unit, internal fault: Valvetronic output stage

Over this period ive had rough idles, car not starting in cold temps, stalls, jerking stuttering. Cleaned out vanos solenoids aswell just not sure if its eccentric shaft sensor or valvetronic motor or vanos.

Owned the car for 1.5 months full service history everything working just struggling with these issues. 120,000km.

Need help.
Appreciate 0