E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > E92 330i MSport 2008 N53 - 2DED

09-23-2020, 01:23 PM   #1
M80DCX
The Girl With The Skills!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 N53 - 330i msport

Garage List
E92 330i MSport 2008 N53 - 2DED

Hi all,

could really do with some advice on this please...

So lets get the weird stuff sorted first, yes im a girl, and yes i work on my own car lol, mechanical stuff im all over but this, beyond me totally

So shes 12 and started that horrible domino effect of issues, was the main starter relay, then the starter motor, then the water pump and thermostat, then the battery...and then...Black Out!!! Positive power recall, so took it to the one place i would never trust with my baby, BMW Garage... they did the work for the recall literally 7 days ago and have had this fault showing 2DED since the morning after i brought her back from that place, have charged battery and nothing, have bought a 3ltr ready protected boost pack to get her firing...and nothing... any advice please as im lost without her
      09-23-2020, 02:53 PM   #2
aaronblack
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92

To begin with 2DED appears when there is excessive current flow when the car is parked and hence the DME is sensing this. Is there anything hooked up to constant power or the 12v socket etc. when car is parked?

If not my advise would be to clear the code since you've had a lot of work done recently and see if it reoccurs.

Maybe even disconnect the battery for an hour or two after you've reset the codes and see if things go back to norm.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 05:04 PM   #3
therealdb1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Graphite E93 335i

Problem with the recall is BMW insist on it being done at one of their franchises who are sick of the sight of these harnesses and it is costing an awful lot of time that they could spend on money making work. I doubt if BMW reimbursement to the dealer barely covers the labour if they strike a small problem whilst carrying out the replacement so they are perhaps not always as careful as they should be. I had to make one or two "improvements" to the way they had fitted the battery cable on my car but it was not worth the hassle and 70 mile round trip to take it back to the dealer.
My question is did they carry out the heater harness recall at the same time? That could be a problem or like my experience they might have introduced an issue at the battery terminal as it is pretty complicated in the positive terminal area.
If it were me I would go back to the dealer in person, perhaps on a Saturday morning when there are plenty of other customers in earshot, and tell them that you have been getting this code since their remedial work and you would like them to fix it free of charge. Speak to the Service Manager if you have to but as your car did not have this problem before they fiddled around with parts that could potentially cause the fault it is up to them to resolve it.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 08:58 AM   #4
M80DCX
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
UPDATE

So the 2DED Code was due to bare wire causing surge of power by looks of it, cable was removed and sorted and fault cleared no issue and hasnt come back at all.
The BMW Techs had rammed the GPS Cabling up into the fuse box location behind the glove box section and caught the cable in between the fuse box and main control unit that disperses power through the car.... however!!!!.... now she wont start due to the following code:

A3B2 - INSTRUMENT CLUSTER CAR ACCESS SYSTEM

Seems to me the cars gone into anti theft mode - does anyone know if this is something i can sort using my INPA / ISTA software?

Please let me know if any one has any advice on this as BMW are refusing they did anything to cause any of these issues and in all honesty im running out of funds to get her recovered to the same BMW dealership only to be charged stupid amounts of money to be told what i aleady know, i just dont know how to solve the issue... I'm self employed and this being my only transport i'm currently loosing money daily until I can resolve this and am really struggling here

Any advice at all would be much appreciated, thanks
      09-29-2020, 09:18 AM   #5
4foothill
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 325i LCI

That code seems to imply the instrument cluster is sending/receiving something it shouldn't over the CAN bus. Maybe it got fried along with a bunch of other stuff. Does your speedometer/instrument cluster boot up when you turn on the ignition?

What happens when you try and start the engine - Does it crank? What do you hear from the engine?

If you're certain the issue was caused by a bad repair job from BMW and you have any proof, then personally I would write to BMW with your proof and maybe a threat to take them to small claims court. The dealership will never admit fault, but if you go directly to BMW with proof then presumably they will force the dealership to rectify it.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 09:41 AM   #6
M80DCX
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4foothill View Post
That code seems to imply the instrument cluster is sending/receiving something it shouldn't over the CAN bus. Maybe it got fried along with a bunch of other stuff. Does your speedometer/instrument cluster boot up when you turn on the ignition?

What happens when you try and start the engine - Does it crank? What do you hear from the engine?

If you're certain the issue was caused by a bad repair job from BMW and you have any proof, then personally I would write to BMW with your proof and maybe a threat to take them to small claims court. The dealership will never admit fault, but if you go directly to BMW with proof then presumably they will force the dealership to rectify it.

Hi thanks for the response, the cluster panel fires up absolutely fine, can hear the electronic checks kick in fine when i try to start her, so the fuel pump kicks in, can hear all systems wake up and all computers systems wake up, and do checks but there is no crank, on looking into it, sounds like some anti theft thing so fuel pup kicks in but signals is stopped at starter so no crank at all - new starter fitted 10weeks back and worked perfectly, probe tested and signals are fine so seems to be this access system cut off and don't know if i can resolve using ISTA or not?.....
      09-29-2020, 04:23 PM   #7
therealdb1
Lieutenant
Rep

Firstly well done for finding the bare wire fault. I was not wrong there. Main dealers Of course they have caused the problem but they will never own up. As suggested already it may be worth contacting BMW UK and they might be able to sort it for you.
In the meantime, is the steering column unlocking?
If it doesn't that could be causing a problem.
Are you sure the battery has a good charge if you have had a constant drain on it for a while?
If you have a charged battery and the steering unlocks it could be that you need to align the DME and CAS modules since they may have become unpaired with the excessive battery drain. I believe you can achieve this with the software you have but don't ask me how as I have never had to do it. Hopefully someone who has actually performed this task before will chip in and give you some guidance.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 07:13 PM   #8
M80DCX
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdb1 View Post
Firstly well done for finding the bare wire fault. I was not wrong there. Main dealers Of course they have caused the problem but they will never own up. As suggested already it may be worth contacting BMW UK and they might be able to sort it for you.
In the meantime, is the steering column unlocking?
If it doesn't that could be causing a problem.
Are you sure the battery has a good charge if you have had a constant drain on it for a while?
If you have a charged battery and the steering unlocks it could be that you need to align the DME and CAS modules since they may have become unpaired with the excessive battery drain. I believe you can achieve this with the software you have but don't ask me how as I have never had to do it. Hopefully someone who has actually performed this task before will chip in and give you some guidance.
Cheers for getting back to me on this - Yes been on to BMW UK constantly since this started and they are just so difficult to deal with... I genuinely believe this is an unpairing issue that need to be realigned so she's in anti theft mode perhaps - Steering wheel is unlocking, all electrics working and battery is running perfectly from battery in boot terminals as well as front reader points - looks like getting my geek on and seeing what i can do in ISTA

Thanks again for replying, appreciated )
      10-19-2020, 09:47 AM   #9
therealdb1
Lieutenant
Rep

Did you ever get this running in the end?

If so what was the problem?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 09:45 AM   #10
aaronblack
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92

Interested in this too! I've got this, actually have had this for a while, can't figure out what is drawing current as nothing aftermarket is connected to the car.

I do the regular SOS call failure warning, maybe that is drawing power?
Appreciate 0