E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Updating CIC Firmware To Allow Map Updates

09-20-2020, 11:19 PM   #23
pacmac
Singapore
Rep
Drives: BMW 323i

Just tested with NCS Dummy:

When I load the NETTODAT.TRC file there are no errors:

But when I load the FSW_PSW.TRC File, it also throws out an error with NAVI_VARIANTE_0A (and edit is disabled) :

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 06:40 AM   #24
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i MSport DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
I'm not 100% on what might be causing this error.
I reckon a low risk thing to try is to update to the latest Daten from bimmergeeks
Use dummy to update its fiddly but still easier than manual update

Googling both of these will yield instructions
After you've done that try reading and manipulating the CIC and see if the error comes back

If that doesn't work you might try default coding the module. This will default the values to stock according to the VO in the cas and NFRM. This will undo any previous coding on the CIC so keep a copy of the .TRC so you can code back if you need to
(Google bmw e9x Vehicle order it'll explain)
      09-22-2020, 08:21 PM   #25
pacmac
Singapore
Rep

Thanks, I found the problem and it was a stupid, careless error, I had selected the wrong module, it should be CIC.C10 and not CIC.C1A

But nobody on the Singapore forum has responded to my request for the country code values, I have bumped the thread but no takers.

Also spent many hours on google trying to find the codes or someone else who had done it but no success with that either :-(
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 09:43 PM   #26
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
I think i found out how you might fix this.
We need to change your Vehicle order and then default code
We need to remove hong kong and add singapore and then default code the cic with that VO in place.
The codes are found here
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=717103
find all hong kong and replace them with the relevant singapore codes
See if that works ?
      09-22-2020, 10:47 PM   #27
pacmac
Singapore
Rep

Thanks, coincidentally, I also found similar VO/FA Codes last night, here are the relevant ones:

S8LHA COUNTRY CONTROL HONGKONG
S8LSA COUNTRY CONTROL SINGAPORE

My VO/FA does contain the code for Hongkong: $8LH$

I can of course use NCS Expert VO/FA Change to delete Hong Kong and replace it with Singapore Code, but this would need to be done on all 3 ECUs that store the VO Date. i.e:

CRS
FRM
NFRM

However I believe that FRM / NFRM are actually the same ?

But after doing that then what ?

Will changing the "Country Control" automatically be detected by the ECUs which will then make configuration changes to the relevant modules ??

Is the VO/FA stored in the CAS and FRM "Just for Information" and passive, or does it actively do something when it's value is changed ??

I don't understand what you mean by: "default code" the cic with that VO in place

Of course I am cautious as I don't want to 'brick' the head unit, given that there appears to be nobody here with the capabilities !

EDIT

Do you mean that:

1) I should just read the existing CIC ECU and then write it back again without changing anything ?

2) Select CIC Module, DONT READ ECU, but instead just select Write and write back to the CIC ECU ?

And that this should then "execute" the region changes made with the VO Code change ?

Last edited by pacmac; 09-23-2020 at 01:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 03:39 AM   #28
pacmac
Singapore
Rep

OK, done some more research, and it looks like the important thing is the profile you load.

And based on the loaded profile settings, the program will either read your manipulated data, or reset the module to factory based on the VO definitions ?!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 07:05 AM   #29
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacmac View Post
OK, done some more research, and it looks like the important thing is the profile you load.

And based on the loaded profile settings, the program will either read your manipulated data, or reset the module to factory based on the VO definitions ?!
You got it. There's a thread on spool street about default coding.
When I looked for the country codes I found a number of VO lists you need the one for your model. Mine is e92 (3 series) so the one I linked is for e series there may be other ones as well though.
      09-23-2020, 07:47 AM   #30
pacmac
Singapore
Rep

Thanks, the problem with that list https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=717103 - is that there are no countries specified.

What I did was to decode my VIN and found that the country code in the VO list for my car was:

S8LHA - Country control Hong Kong 04142

I then found this: http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E9...search?s=S8LHA (Search result: S8LHA Country control for HongKong 04142)

And this: http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E9...search?s=S8LSA (Search result: S8LSA Country control for Singapore 00780)

Also found this: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...postcount=1662

So I am pretty sure that $8LS is the Country Code for Singapore
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2020, 11:31 AM   #31
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Thanks, the problem with that list https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=717103 - is that there are no countries specified.

What I did was to decode my VIN and found that the country code in the VO list for my car was:

S8LHA - Country control Hong Kong 04142

I then found this: http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E9...search?s=S8LHA (Search result: S8LHA Country control for HongKong 04142)

And this: http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E9...search?s=S8LSA (Search result: S8LSA Country control for Singapore 00780)

Also found this: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...postcount=1662

So I am pretty sure that $8LS is the Country Code for Singapore
Looks like you have the codes now to see if they work!
      09-24-2020, 12:45 AM   #32
pacmac
Singapore
Rep

Unfortunately they don't work.

I am sure that I reset the VO codes correctly and wrote them to both NRFM and CAS Modules, before loading a factory reset profile and coding the CIC module to factory default.

I double-checked that they were written correctly, by disconnecting, reconnecting and re-reading the CAS and NFRM modules, and both were the same and reflected the changes I had made.

The CIC settings did change, however the map that is displayed is still Hong Kong, and when I now goto map version, there is no version displayed, the screen is blank.

The Navi_variante changed from "hong kong" to "europe", and the menus are now slightly different from what they were before.

Inserting a USB with the latest SE Asia premium maps into the Glovebox and inserting a DVD with the same data into the DVD head unit does absolutely nothing.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 02:41 PM   #33
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Unfortunately they don't work.

I am sure that I reset the VO codes correctly and wrote them to both NRFM and CAS Modules, before loading a factory reset profile and coding the CIC module to factory default.

I double-checked that they were written correctly, by disconnecting, reconnecting and re-reading the CAS and NFRM modules, and both were the same and reflected the changes I had made.

The CIC settings did change, however the map that is displayed is still Hong Kong, and when I now goto map version, there is no version displayed, the screen is blank.

The Navi_variante changed from "hong kong" to "europe", and the menus are now slightly different from what they were before.

Inserting a USB with the latest SE Asia premium maps into the Glovebox and inserting a DVD with the same data into the DVD head unit does absolutely nothing.
If Navi variant is Europe, I'd say it must be the wrong code.
You can't organise a meet up and read someone else's VO and CIC file perhaps ?
      09-24-2020, 06:28 PM   #34
pacmac
Singapore
Rep

Thanks;

Several days ago, I offered to meetup and code a function for someone in exchange for reading off their CIC config, but again there are no takers.

But I actually found another VIN number for someone else's Singapore imported car on the local forum and checked it's VO listing, the Market was also Europe, and the Country Control Code was the same 8LS as I am now using and there did not appear to be any other codes that identified the country or map variant in their VO specs.

I actually tried all of the following VO changes and after each VO change I reset the CIC to factory:

1) Switch Country CONTROL

S-8LH-A
COUNTRY CONTROL HONGKONG
deleted

S-8LS-A
COUNTRY CONTROL SINGAPORE
added

2) Deleted HK Pack (Special Package for Hong Kong ?)

P-957-A
HK-PACKET
deleted

3) Added Country SPECIFICATION

L-833-A
COUNTRY SPECIFICATION, SINGAPORE
added

None of these made any difference, and the Dealership and Hotline numbers still show the same Hong Kong telephone number as before, and the displayed map is still Hong Kong (although the version info is now blank)

Also, there is no option in CIC Map_Variante for either South East Asia or Singapore, or Malaysia, Thailand etc, and given that BMWs have been oficially imported here for a very long time, I would expect to see a option there.

Also, the VIN region shows Europe for the my VIN (originally hong-kong) and others I have checked, and it appears that the VIN Market Region for car's here is always Europe.

Then I checked this: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sel...Cab&model=323i and the only market region that is available is EUR, even though the vehicle was originally configured and shipped to Hong Kong !
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 10:16 PM   #35
pacmac
Singapore
Rep

OK, I know my coding procedure is correct as I have reverted back to the original VO and the map version information is restored.

So there's something else missing, I also tried adding:

P973A Malaysia package

As the is no "Singapore Package" but that did not work either.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 04:37 AM   #36
mizta insane
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Did you check the dvd region? Look into cic trace
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2023, 07:01 PM   #37
nzruss
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

Quote:
OK, I know my coding procedure is correct as I have reverted back to the original VO and the map version information is restored.

So there's something else missing, I also tried adding:

P973A Malaysia package

As the is no "Singapore Package" but that did not work either.
Did you ever get this working?

I'm in NZ, and have a Japanese import 2009 e91 with CIC, and pretty much have the same issue as you had in this thread.

I've got new Australia-NZ maps downloaded on a FAT32 USB, generated FSB code, and cannot get the car to recognise them.
The car has old japan maps currently.

any assistance apprecited.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2023, 12:36 AM   #38
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

some countries have a lot of specific requirements and therefore not only coding, but firmware is different because some part of hardware is also different
there is a lot of japan cars imported to former ussr countries and navigation units are quite different
the firmware conversion to ECE for JPN unit is not straightforward unfortunately
so maybe, for china there can be also same issue
so the cheapest way for you may be simply get EU or US headunit and code it to australia or singapore