E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Instrument Cluster Swap Question

02-08-2016, 04:50 AM   #23
deepsrd
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i LCI

Again, sorry, no.

To get to the circuit board, the dial face has to be removed, means removing the needles..

It is easy to calibrate them later.. Just make sure you remove them carefully..

To calibrate, Fire up INPA, go to Kassorie-> Instrument Cluster..
And F6 activate.

Enter 0 for set speedo, and set it to 0..

You should be fine.

In Progress:
Surround View Retrofit 8TH
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 05:07 AM   #24
Dtype
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320d

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 01:15 AM   #25
Alex_WLY
Terorist!
Romania
Rep
Drives: Black bmw

Garage List
2009 E91  [0.00]
Hello.....a few month ago I changed my standard cluster on a 320d with HIGH cluster.see picture

ok....I changed the orange led with white (home made), but to change eeprom was necessary to pay someone.
I never programmed an eeprom, and I have no ideas about that....I purchased an MiniPro TL866CS.
I know I have to modify VIN and mileage in eeprom, but I have no idea what I have to change.
Can anyone explain more detailied about that procedure?
Thank you
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 02:59 AM   #26
Jozy
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Singapore
Rep
Drives: R32 GTR

FF out the VIN and 00 out the mileage
      02-17-2016, 04:02 AM   #27
deepsrd
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_WLY View Post
Hello.....a few month ago I changed my standard cluster on a 320d with HIGH cluster.see picture

ok....I changed the orange led with white (home made), but to change eeprom was necessary to pay someone.
I never programmed an eeprom, and I have no ideas about that....I purchased an MiniPro TL866CS.
I know I have to modify VIN and mileage in eeprom, but I have no idea what I have to change.
Can anyone explain more detailied about that procedure?
Thank you
All info is here..
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=666729

I just posted it in the last page..

In Progress:
Surround View Retrofit 8TH
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 05:14 AM   #28
Alex_WLY
Terorist!
Romania
Rep
Drives: Black bmw

Garage List
2009 E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsrd View Post
All info is here..
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=666729

I just posted it in the last page..
great.thank you
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2016, 08:41 AM   #29
sono0312
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 325i 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
Ok I'll try to outline the process. You bought GT-1? You didn't need this but it's a good piece of kit for diagnostics / coding / programming.

The VIN and mileage in the instrument cluster is stored in the EEPROM of a flash chip. Commonly for E9X variants the chip is M35080 (v6). BMW software will not be able to modify VIN and Mileage as the EEPROM is designed to only be programmed once. So VIN and Mileage can be written once when those bytes in the EEPROM are empty and not overwritten. This is because unlike other modules (except CAS / DME) VIN and Mileage is protected data for obvious reasons.

The only way around this is to talk directly to the EEPROM and not via the cars CAN bus. To do this you either need to desolder (with heat gun) the chip, place it into a dedicated chip programmer like the link I gave or R270+ or XPROG. These are devices which connect to a computer with their own software where you can read the EEPROM data into a *.bin format commonly called EEPROM 'dump'. Once you have the dump you need to open it in a hex editor, find the VIN bytes and patch the bytes to all 'FF'. If the cluster mileage is higher than your vehicle you'll need to also zero that by making the mileage bytes all '00'. Once those two patches are complete you can write the dump back to the EEPROM. Once written you can connect the cluster to your car replacing your existing one. The car will believe the cluster is in a 'factory' or 'virgin' state. You can then use your GT-1 and NCSEXPERT to code the cluster back to default. The process will auto fill the VIN and it will then take the cars mileag. Job done.

If you don't fancy desoldering the chip, some chips can be read and written to whilst still attached to the board using a SOIC 8 test clip. This clip connects to the programmer I.e. R270 and then clips over the EEPROM chip. However some chips may be wrote protected whilst on the board, you need to check this in the chip data sheet and programmer you are using.
hello,

thankyou for your precious information on writing eeprom using a programmer. just want to confirm if a chip can be read or written without desoldering? if i use the clip on the chip with the board the power should be supplied to other chips as well. do you know any impact on writing or reading? it should not be a big deal? i really want to do the programming with what you suggested as the soldering may lead to other risks.

thanks//sono

Last edited by sono0312; 10-24-2016 at 08:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2016, 07:37 PM   #30
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by sono0312
Quote:
Ok I'll try to outline the process. You bought GT-1? You didn't need this but it's a good piece of kit for diagnostics / coding / programming.

The VIN and mileage in the instrument cluster is stored in the EEPROM of a flash chip. Commonly for E9X variants the chip is M35080 (v6). BMW software will not be able to modify VIN and Mileage as the EEPROM is designed to only be programmed once. So VIN and Mileage can be written once when those bytes in the EEPROM are empty and not overwritten. This is because unlike other modules (except CAS / DME) VIN and Mileage is protected data for obvious reasons.

The only way around this is to talk directly to the EEPROM and not via the cars CAN bus. To do this you either need to desolder (with heat gun) the chip, place it into a dedicated chip programmer like the link I gave or R270+ or XPROG. These are devices which connect to a computer with their own software where you can read the EEPROM data into a *.bin format commonly called EEPROM 'dump'. Once you have the dump you need to open it in a hex editor, find the VIN bytes and patch the bytes to all 'FF'. If the cluster mileage is higher than your vehicle you'll need to also zero that by making the mileage bytes all '00'. Once those two patches are complete you can write the dump back to the EEPROM. Once written you can connect the cluster to your car replacing your existing one. The car will believe the cluster is in a 'factory' or 'virgin' state. You can then use your GT-1 and NCSEXPERT to code the cluster back to default. The process will auto fill the VIN and it will then take the cars mileag. Job done.

If you don't fancy desoldering the chip, some chips can be read and written to whilst still attached to the board using a SOIC 8 test clip. This clip connects to the programmer I.e. R270 and then clips over the EEPROM chip. However some chips may be wrote protected whilst on the board, you need to check this in the chip data sheet and programmer you are using.
hello,

thankyou for your precious information on writing eeprom using a programmer. just want to confirm if a chip can be read or written without desoldering? if i use the clip on the chip with the board the power should be supplied to other chips as well. do you know any impact on writing or reading? it should not be a big deal? i really want to do the programming with what you suggested as the soldering may lead to other risks.

thanks//sono
All e9x cluster eeprom can be programmed whilst still soldered to the board. Power is from the programmer. Just use a test clip and good programmer. All be ok.
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2016, 10:33 PM   #31
Levanime
BimECU
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [0.00]
btw had problem with e60 cluster with my R270
it reads and erases V6 fine

but on E60 (M35080 6) freezes on reading 33/1024 :/
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2016, 09:31 PM   #32
sono0312
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
All e9x cluster eeprom can be programmed whilst still soldered to the board. Power is from the programmer. Just use a test clip and good programmer. All be ok.
hello,
when it comes to a used instrument cluster, what we need is erase both milage and vin in order to make it virgin. by using r270+, i learned that oddometer can be erased by using tool function (read/write by seletcting proper eeprom). however what does it need to be done for vin? some thread says that datum in dump list, line 0x002e0 have to be changed to FF... i am just wondering if vin can be changed as ussual by usng tool like winkfp?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2016, 11:08 PM   #33
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
hello,
when it comes to a used instrument cluster, what we need is erase both milage and vin in order to make it virgin. by using r270+, i learned that oddometer can be erased by using tool function (read/write by seletcting proper eeprom). however what does it need to be done for vin? some thread says that datum in dump list, line 0x002e0 have to be changed to FF... i am just wondering if vin can be changed as ussual by usng tool like winkfp?
Exactly. Make VIN all FF. As long as odo is lower than car or erased to 00 bytes the VIN can now be programmed with winkfp / tool32 or even will take VIN when coded with ncsexpert.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 04:14 PM   #34
sono0312
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Exactly. Make VIN all FF. As long as odo is lower than car or erased to 00 bytes the VIN can now be programmed with winkfp / tool32 or even will take VIN when coded with ncsexpert.
Thanks.
I hope r270+ will erase both vin (all to "ff") and odo (all to "00") by one-click button. Is it correct? Or i need to change them one-by-one?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 04:16 PM   #35
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks.
I hope r270+ will erase both vin (all to "ff") and odo (all to "00") by one-click button. Is it correct? Or i need to change them one-by-one?
It depends. Likely will not be 1 click. I don't use R270 any more but I remember software did have dedicated erase odo buttons. However this didn't work well for our KOMBI's

Instead you may need to read the complete eeprom. Modify with hex editor then write back eeprom...
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 07:10 PM   #36
sono0312
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
It depends. Likely will not be 1 click. I don't use R270 any more but I remember software did have dedicated erase odo buttons. However this didn't work well for our KOMBI's

Instead you may need to read the complete eeprom. Modify with hex editor then write back eeprom...
Thankyou for your info. let me clarify this a little bit more...
i found where to change from other threads. all i need is change hex data as follows... are these correct?
odo: change all "00" from 0x00000 to 0x0001F
vin: change all "ff" from 0x002e9 to 0x002ef

those may applicable only to e9x 3 series.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2016, 11:06 PM   #37
19E92
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '07 335i / '11 535i xDrive

Will be attempting this shortly. Subscribed.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2016, 11:16 PM   #38
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thankyou for your info. let me clarify this a little bit more...
i found where to change from other threads. all i need is change hex data as follows... are these correct?
odo: change all "00" from 0x00000 to 0x0001F
vin: change all "ff" from 0x002e9 to 0x002ef

those may applicable only to e9x 3 series.
Off the top of my head, correct.

Also, of after changing mileage to all 00 bytes mileage is not 0, change byte at 0x2D7 to 00 also.

Always test before plugging into car by connecting 12v +/- power to pin 9 and 18. Then press odo button on KOMBI to display mileage.
Appreciate 1
DaZuc202.00
      01-09-2017, 06:47 PM   #39
Mik325tds
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Also, of after changing mileage to all 00 bytes mileage is not 0, change byte at 0x2D7 to 00 also.
What does that do? I haven't seen that in the other threads.
Also, do you happen to have an EEprom dump of an E9x cluster that you are willing to share?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 10:59 PM   #40
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik325tds View Post
Quote:
What does that do? I haven't seen that in the other threads.
Also, do you happen to have an EEprom dump of an E9x cluster that you are willing to share?
Not 100% but with new vehicles BMW set cluster to specific high odo reading so that it ticks over after a few miles and will become 0 ready for customer. I forget what this is called exactly.

All I know is that if that byte is not 00, odo reading will not be 0.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 05:39 AM   #41
Mik325tds
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Not 100% but with new vehicles BMW set cluster to specific high odo reading so that it ticks over after a few miles and will become 0 ready for customer. I forget what this is called exactly.

Interesting, thanks!
I think my original EEprom read was corrupted. I replaced it with a new one, fixed my xbox and wrote FF to Vin plus the 00 to 0x2D7. However, I'm getting the coding error and it would not accept a VIN upload or coding uploads. Strange though: Nettodata write and Ediabas c_c_schreiben works.
Do you have a good EEprom read by any chance that I can transfer into mine?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 04:41 PM   #42
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik325tds View Post
Quote:

Interesting, thanks!
I think my original EEprom read was corrupted. I replaced it with a new one, fixed my xbox and wrote FF to Vin plus the 00 to 0x2D7. However, I'm getting the coding error and it would not accept a VIN upload or coding uploads. Strange though: Nettodata write and Ediabas c_c_schreiben works.
Do you have a good EEprom read by any chance that I can transfer into mine?
EEPROM dump from E9X KOMBI (DCT) and MPH dials.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0...0RzaHRHbnJRa2c
Appreciate 1
Mik325tds805.50
      01-10-2017, 05:36 PM   #43
Terraphantm
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtype View Post
Thanks
There is any way that will let me read epprom without taking out the needles?
I'm changing my cluster from low to high.
What kind of processor does the E90 cluster have? If it's the same as the E60/E70, you can probably do some variation of this:

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 10:08 PM   #44
Levanime
BimECU
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [0.00]
it should be same, and it would save lots of hassle with this needles,
I'm always afraid to break them

plus my programmer(VVDI PROG) does not like working with clip,
need to desolder/solder all the time

but dont you have to remove needles to get to processor anyways?
Appreciate 0