E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Long term N53 owners - advice please?

07-01-2020, 05:05 AM   #1
e92_josh
Enlisted Member
England
Rep
Drives: e92 325i M Sport

Long term N53 owners - advice please?

Hey, looking for some feedback on cost of ownership...

I've had my 325i/N53 for about 18 months and I just worked out I've spent about £2500 in maintenance, with a list of jobs still to do!

Work done includes:
- tyres
- discs/pads all round
- rear suspension refresh (shocks/springs/mounts/a few worn control arms)
- all spark plugs & coils changed
- regular servicing

I've done most of the suspension/servicing work myself, using a good independent for the rest.
I also haven't skimped on the quality of the parts, Bridgestone/Eibach/Pagid/Bosch etc..

Its currently in the garage now for a new rear caliper but I still have the following issues:

- injectors need replacing (cold start issues present)
- burns 1ltr of oil in 650 miles (town driving & no oils leaks found)
- due walnut blasting
- I have some new springs/shocks waiting to be installed on the front
- errors in memory (30E9 Nox cat, lambda probe failure)
- had an intermittent error from the rear left abs sensor that lit my cluster up like a Xmas tree
- some paintwork issues need sorting before they rust
- washer fluid leaking

I guess most of this is typical, but is there anything else to expect that I haven't mentioned above? For the money I'm paying to fix this car each month, I could be driving something much newer, quicker and hopefully less needy!

The car is on 115,000 miles and when it works it's a really good car to drive. NA, 6MT, factory msport, decent mpg, can't go wrong right? Especially if I can find the money to do an 330i intake conversion.

I'm close to chopping it in though and need some words of encouragement to stick with it haha! What would you do?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 06:06 AM   #2
Sir_Dave
Asset Finance Broker
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e91 335i

Its using oil as the injectors are leaking overnight and washing the oil from the bores.
ABS Sensor is £40
Wouldnt bother with walnut blasting on an N53
Nox cat code - get a Noxem instead.

Id keep it personally, you're already £2.5k in, which tbh, seems like quite a lot for what you've done!!

Last edited by Sir_Dave; 07-01-2020 at 06:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 06:25 AM   #3
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
I agree with Sir_Dave. Unless you've had a boroscope look at the backs of the valves to confirm it's needed, I wouldn't bother with a walnut blast. The need is mainly for turbo cars. The rest is common stuff which you've now sorted. These engines have lots of miles in them. I'm on 110,000 and its still a joy to drive (Performance exhaust helps!).
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 10:34 AM   #4
4foothill
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 325i LCI

I have an n53 of a similar mileage and have recently cleaned the valves. There was certainly a hell of a build up, and cleaning it has made the idle and acceleration smoother, but I wouldn't say it was necessary.

Get the new manifold on and a tune and it will feel like a new car anyway. If you're planning on DIY'ing the manifold swap then you can clean the valves with carb cleaner and a brush when you have the manifold off. It won't be as shiny clean as a walnut blast but the result is the same... Silky smooth idle.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 12:34 PM   #5
e92_josh
Enlisted Member
England
Rep

Cheers for the replies!

The £2.5k includes some other some bits not mentioned, but yeah perhaps I need to find better pricing on some parts in the future.

I haven't inspected the intake valves, just saw some pictures from other threads and assumed it'd need doing really. I hoped to check it when doing a 3IM upgrade. I also have a lot of carbon deposits on the oil filler cap and the top of the engine that you can see into. Is that common?

Who did your tuning 4foothill?

I think biting the bullet with new injectors would probably help me to commit, maybe then I could start spending money on performance upgrades instead of just maintenance haha!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 01:50 PM   #6
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e92_josh View Post
I also have a lot of carbon deposits on the oil filler cap and the top of the engine that you can see into. Is that common?
No. Deposits of this kind in these places are indicative of oil changes being left way too long. An engine having regular oil and filter changes will not show deposits of this nature.

In this vid at 24:36 you'll see a BMW engine with over 180,000 miles (and it's a turbo). With regular fluid changes this is what it should look like...

E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 06:28 PM   #7
4foothill
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 325i LCI

Quote:
Cheers for the replies!

The £2.5k includes some other some bits not mentioned, but yeah perhaps I need to find better pricing on some parts in the future.

I haven't inspected the intake valves, just saw some pictures from other threads and assumed it'd need doing really. I hoped to check it when doing a 3IM upgrade. I also have a lot of carbon deposits on the oil filler cap and the top of the engine that you can see into. Is that common?

Who did your tuning 4foothill?

I think biting the bullet with new injectors would probably help me to commit, maybe then I could start spending money on performance upgrades instead of just maintenance haha!
I'm using the stock 330i tune with the power class byte changed for a 325i and then flashed with a Kessv2 clone. I can't take any of the credit, Jonas225 did all the hard work and clever stuff. If you want a professional tune then I've heard maptech in Lincoln know the n53 well. To be honest I've also heard that just a tune alone will get you most of the benefits, the manifold just gives some extra low end torque.

Are you sure it's the injectors? Do you smell petrol in the morning when doing a cold start? I nearly bought 6 new injectors based on the symptoms when I first got the car, but turns out it was just the coils (easily tested by swapping the coils). Check out this thread for some great info (includes where to get the injectors cheapest): https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1525311
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 03:06 AM   #8
Dormermike
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw f10

Have had my n53 f10 (272ps) for 5 years and i keep thinking I'll change to an m5 but in all honesty the 3.0 lump hauls along nicely. Plus you can absolutely cane the engine and make use of the rev range without being silly speeds. No issues other than replacing index 9 injectors for index 11 4 years ago.

OP asks stick or twist - personal choice but turbos just dont do it for me, i'd stick!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 04:40 AM   #9
rusty0273
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 330i Manual LCI

If you do the NOXEM and replace the leaking injector, you'll probably see the MPG improve further, oil consumption reduce and I guess you've currently got carbon all over your tailpipe. I was getting 3-5 extra MPG on my usual commute (just cruising along) after I put the NOXEM in. I've recently changed all my injectors to Index 11 and coil packs which was pretty expensive but TBH, if you're happy to DIY, I'd now just do each injector as and when needed. You need a couple of fairly specific tools, and to code the new injectors but its pretty easy. Even if you do sell, will be much easier with the NOX and Injector(s) sorted as they are well know issues many buyers would ask about.
I've kept this car (N53, 330i) longer than anything else because its not easy to find a better alternative with the RWD performance and frugality unless you're happy to go turbo'd 4 pot and that just doesn't have the class!
Appreciate 1
Phil325i614.50
      07-02-2020, 08:38 AM   #10
e92_josh
Enlisted Member
England
Rep

Quote:
No. Deposits of this kind in these places are indicative of oil changes being left way too long. An engine having regular oil and filter changes will not show deposits of this nature.
Well mine doesn't look like that! I'll do some research into an engine flush, the liqui moly stuff has good reviews.

It needs some new injectors for sure, sooty exhaust, rich fuel smell in the morning and misfire codes for cylinder 2. I'll look into the diy, i should have most of the tools already and i'll be able to save some £££.

I spent much of yesterday looking for an alternative car, the best i could find was an Alfa Guilia Veloce, but even that's a turbo 4pot. There just aren't any powerful NA engines anymore
Thanks for all the advice, i'll likely stick with it. I might as well be the one to make use of the new parts I installed!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 08:48 AM   #11
e92_josh
Enlisted Member
England
Rep

Also, are you all still using 5W30 oil or have you changed to a different viscosity as the engine has aged?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 09:16 AM   #12
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Also, are you all still using 5W30 oil or have you changed to a different viscosity as the engine has aged?
Still using 5W-30. I've used Mobil 1 for decades and even though their ESP oil doesn't have LL-04 approval any more, I'm changing every 6K and Blackstone oil analyses have been excellent.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 11:16 AM   #13
rusty0273
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 330i Manual LCI

Think Castrol switched to 0W30 for their Edge BMW LL04 grade and then back to 5W30 rating quite recently. That's what I have stuck with.
I was quite tempted by an Alfa Giulia myself as they are light, look good and handle. Was considering a Super because I actually preferred the 18" forged Fuchs wheels and you can get them remapped to 290hp (exactly same engine as Veloce bar the tune) for about £400. They're obviously significantly cheaper to buy. The gear paddles would have been a must have option though and not that common. Ended up spending a load of money on the beemer's injection system instead
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 09:31 AM   #14
e92_josh
Enlisted Member
England
Rep

The only reason I looked at the veloce was because I didn't want to repeat the '325i instead of a 330i' exercise again! Although I do prefer the veloce front bumper too...

Good to know you guys have stuck with 5w30, I might try Castrol next time instead of Millers, see if it makes any difference to oil consumption.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 06:25 AM   #15
Adam1990
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330I

Quote:
Hey, looking for some feedback on cost of ownership...

I've had my 325i/N53 for about 18 months and I just worked out I've spent about £2500 in maintenance, with a list of jobs still to do!

Work done includes:
- tyres
- discs/pads all round
- rear suspension refresh (shocks/springs/mounts/a few worn control arms)
- all spark plugs & coils changed
- regular servicing

I've done most of the suspension/servicing work myself, using a good independent for the rest.
I also haven't skimped on the quality of the parts, Bridgestone/Eibach/Pagid/Bosch etc..

Its currently in the garage now for a new rear caliper but I still have the following issues:

- injectors need replacing (cold start issues present)
- burns 1ltr of oil in 650 miles (town driving & no oils leaks found)
- due walnut blasting
- I have some new springs/shocks waiting to be installed on the front
- errors in memory (30E9 Nox cat, lambda probe failure)
- had an intermittent error from the rear left abs sensor that lit my cluster up like a Xmas tree
- some paintwork issues need sorting before they rust
- washer fluid leaking

I guess most of this is typical, but is there anything else to expect that I haven't mentioned above? For the money I'm paying to fix this car each month, I could be driving something much newer, quicker and hopefully less needy!

The car is on 115,000 miles and when it works it's a really good car to drive. NA, 6MT, factory msport, decent mpg, can't go wrong right? Especially if I can find the money to do an 330i intake conversion.

I'm close to chopping it in though and need some words of encouragement to stick with it haha! What would you do?
I would stick with it if you have invested that much so far. Once you're on top of things it's a really reliable car.

Mine does burn off oil but mine only seams to burn off 1ltr every 1200 miles using 0W-30 Castrol edge.
Appreciate 0