E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > I thought BMW Automatic Transmissions were Pretty Good?

01-21-2020, 01:14 PM   #23
stewbets
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi, '04 545i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecheng77 View Post
Spot on, ignore him. His videos are tailored to ppl that can't check their own oil and would be happy driving a Corolla.
Sort of an ironic comment considering you can't really check your oil on an E90.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 02:11 PM   #24
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewbets View Post
Sort of an ironic comment considering you can't really check your oil on an E90.
you can't?

I suppose you also think that you can't check the fuel level since it's also measured electronically.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 02:17 PM   #25
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewbets View Post
I checked mine on the way into work today since I recently did an oil change and wanted to double-check.

I will admit its slightly more annoying having to run the car to get a precise measure after an oil change but the trade off is when my VCG decided to leak in the middle of a trip to Florida I found out well before low oil pressure and was able to pull into a wal-mart, buy a jug and monitor it while completing my trip to the beach.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 09:35 PM   #26
Jesda
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 N52 78k

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
you can't?

I suppose you also think that you can't check the fuel level since it's also measured electronically.
The original comment was in reference to people who don't know how, irrelevant since you can't even manually check the oil level on an E90. And I've had my stupid electronic level sensor fail and require replacement.

Scottie is a tired old crank who makes dumb noises but in this case he's not entirely wrong.
      01-21-2020, 10:15 PM   #27
Bob Shiftright
Save The Manuals!
Rep
Drives: E91 Schleppwagen

He loves Volvos.

And he hates Volvos.

2008 E91 36K, 6-speed, RWD, Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Euro split armrest, Lidatek, remote V-1, Cocomats, beach sand, $10 clutch stop mod. 1998 Volvo V70T5 226K, 5-speed, original clutch (third clutch pedal!), aspheric driver's mirror, E-code headlights, IPD sway bar, strut tower brace & skidplate.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 10:17 PM   #28
Jesda
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 N52 78k

Volvos can be a pain too but I adored my S60 T5 with the spaceball shifter.
      01-22-2020, 06:29 AM   #29
type-dRew
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive

this is equivalent of an old man yelling at clouds

only hes filming himself and posting it online

worst person in automotive youtube
New setup; Covid 19Ts on RFP 93 + ARM inlets, dp, VTT cp and PSP outlets
Appreciate 2
leif2030.00
      01-22-2020, 06:51 AM   #30
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
Quote:
I still have a 850 Turbo, it has been the most reliable, well built, easy to work on car I've ever owned and I've owned many Honda's/Acura's.
It has no rust and is pretty fast and one of the most comfortable seats I've seen. Little things like the brake lines are copper nickel and never rust. Japanese cars use painted steel. Hopefully BMW uses a better formulae as they appear to be painted black
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 10:43 AM   #31
ryan stewart
Major
Rep

Quote:
The original comment was in reference to people who don't know how, irrelevant since you can't even manually check the oil level on an E90. And I've had my stupid electronic level sensor fail and require replacement.

Scottie is a tired old crank who makes dumb noises but in this case he's not entirely wrong.
I had the metal strip come off the handle of a dipstick once. Your point?

And your logic for the first part is about as asinine as his youtube videos. You can check the oil on all of our cars, its even outlined in the owners manual. Its just a different process than it used to be. Just like how starting a car changed with the advent of an electric starter. You bitching because you dont have the option of getting out and hand-cranking your car if the starter fails (Ive had a starter fail in 3 different cars)?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 10:49 AM   #32
Bob Shiftright
Save The Manuals!
Rep
Drives: E91 Schleppwagen

Both Scotty and Tavarish are entertainers and make a very good income from YouTube.

The most popular car nameplate in the History of Mankind is the Toyota Corolla, with about 50 million sold over the years.

If someone asks my opinion about buying a car for transportation, I usually recommend a Toyota Corolla, Toyota Camry, Honda Civic or Honda Accord. And if someone wants to look sporty, a 4WD Toyota Tacoma.

Over the years, I've found that the Japanese cars are more mechanically reliable, but they do rust. My wife just replaced her Honda because of major rusting. But most people won't keep a car for more than 4 years, never mind 10 or 15.

If someone wants a car as a hobby, they won't ask me. For transportation, buying an old car for more than it sold for when it was new makes no sense.

As a leisure time activity, cars can be expensive, but at least they are less expensive than serial wives or recreational drugs.
2008 E91 36K, 6-speed, RWD, Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Euro split armrest, Lidatek, remote V-1, Cocomats, beach sand, $10 clutch stop mod. 1998 Volvo V70T5 226K, 5-speed, original clutch (third clutch pedal!), aspheric driver's mirror, E-code headlights, IPD sway bar, strut tower brace & skidplate.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 11:30 AM   #33
mainbearing
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

I guess the question is can't BMW make something as reliable as a Toyota? If not then why not? Do Denso radiators already hold up better than Behr, and NGK plugs better than Bosch?

Then again, public transportation must be prevalent in German. Makes me wonder if some of those junior BMW engineers actually know how to work on cars.

(Back to the original post, BWM does not make transmissions, they buy them from ZF or GM. ZF at least in our Audis are great, GM 6L45 shifts like sh*t).
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 11:41 AM   #34
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I currently own a turbo p2 wagon.

it's been a fine car requiring minimal maintenance and work for the 5 years we've owned it.

like all old luxury cars it really comes down to the owner willing to maintain it.

I do loathe P2 window regulator clips though.
I've done a couple of sets.

I keep extras in the glove box now.

and I did have to fix the shifter claws for the manual shifting, cause they all break. But it was like $12 worth of parts.

it's lived the last 4 years with a 12psi tune just fine with my wife's absolutely 0 fucks given driving style.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 11:42 AM   #35
ryan stewart
Major
Rep

My GM one shifts well but I did redo the mechatronic and the seals from the valve body to the planetary housing. I think it just doesnt age as well (those seals were compressed and rock hard, probably allowing some leakage).

As far as general reliability, I dont really buy it. The NA I6s are reliable as hell, always have been save for two of the most high strung models in M cars. But its never apples to apples. Youre comparing a basic ass car with a 4-banger design thats 14 years old to a car that about 20x the electronics, more complex suspension and a more powerful engine. Its like asking why my hammer is more reliable than my DeWalt drill.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 11:46 AM   #36
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainbearing View Post
I guess the question is can't BMW make something as reliable as a Toyota? If not then why not? Do Denso radiators already hold up better than Behr, and NGK plugs better than Bosch?

Then again, public transportation must be prevalent in German. Makes me wonder if some of those junior BMW engineers actually know how to work on cars.

(Back to the original post, BWM does not make transmissions, they buy them from ZF or GM. ZF at least in our Audis are great, GM 6L45 shifts like sh*t).
they certainly can.

the question is do you want them to make appliances like toyota does?
hi performance comes with certain caveats.

and frankly I've not been terribly impressed with late model toyotas. They have problems too.
and does anyone remember that decade that honda had absolute shit automatic transmissions? pepperidge farm remembers. It wasn't that long ago, and is square in the "affordable used honda" price range these days. I wouldn't buy a 2000's honda with an auto.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 12:00 PM   #37
mainbearing
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

I am not saying Honda/Toyota is anywhere in the same market but my point is do not put up with unreliability regardless.

Quote:
hi performance comes with certain caveats.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 12:10 PM   #38
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainbearing View Post
I am not saying Honda/Toyota is anywhere in the same market but my point is do not put up with unreliability regardless.
but more complexity always means less reliability.

and that complexity is generally what gives us performance.

We could not have any vanos issues ever if the system didn't exist, but you'd give up 40+ HP on the top end.

We could not have any valve tronic issues if it didn't exist, but you'd give up mileage.

We could go back to a distributor, but coil on plug setups give more performance.

everything's a trade off.

there's a reason we're all living in the golden age of horsepower right now.

when toyota introduced the 2jz it was massively over complicated with a bazillion vacuum lines and twin turbos and stuff everywhere.
So even toyota stumbles introducing hi tech, hi performance motors.

I guess we'll all see with the new supra whether toyota's influence on BMW made them build a more reliable engine, or if the complexity of a B58 just leads to inherently more maintenance no matter who was involved in the design because it's just a complex high performance motor.
Appreciate 0