E90Post
 


GetBMWParts
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2011 N55 Squeaking Engine



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-17-2017, 04:05 PM   #23
Shotputted
Private
14
Rep
77
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 335i Le Mans Blue
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjt135psu View Post
Found this post and I need some advice. I purchased my '11 335i about 2 months ago and have been fighting the belt squealing most of my ownership. Below is what I have done or experienced in order.

Noticed squealing
Belt Replaced - squealing stopped
Few weeks later - starting squealing again
Replaced both deflection pullys and belt tensionor - squealing continued
Completed water test and squealing paused
Belt Replaced - squealing stopped
Few weeks later - squealing started again
Identified coolant leak and replaced vent line (coolant leaked over belts; cleaned engine bay)

Squealing still continues as I start the car. It's not as loud as or as constant as it was before the tensionor, belt and pulleys were replaced. I've tried turning off the AC and the squealing persists.

What next?
Are you sure you don't have any oil leaks? If your OFHG and/or VCG have never been replaced they are probably leaking oil on the belt. That's what caused mine to squeak. I replaced the belt and the gaskets at the same time and it never squeaked again.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 07:51 AM   #24
bjt135psu
New Member
0
Rep
11
Posts

Drives: 2011 335i Coupe MTech
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: San Angelo, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
Check Power Steering Levels!
I 'think' I am having the same issue as you and was told that could be a cause.
when you rev your engine, does the volume and consistency of the squealing/squeaking change?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 07:55 AM   #25
bjt135psu
New Member
0
Rep
11
Posts

Drives: 2011 335i Coupe MTech
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: San Angelo, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotputted View Post
Are you sure you don't have any oil leaks? If your OFHG and/or VCG have never been replaced they are probably leaking oil on the belt. That's what caused mine to squeak. I replaced the belt and the gaskets at the same time and it never squeaked again.
how many miles were on your car when you noticed the failure? i have just over 87k and haven't noticed anything specific but i'll take a look.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 10:57 AM   #26
Shotputted
Private
14
Rep
77
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 335i Le Mans Blue
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjt135psu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotputted View Post
Are you sure you don't have any oil leaks? If your OFHG and/or VCG have never been replaced they are probably leaking oil on the belt. That's what caused mine to squeak. I replaced the belt and the gaskets at the same time and it never squeaked again.
how many miles were on your car when you noticed the failure? i have just over 87k and haven't noticed anything specific but i'll take a look.
Gaskets were both leaking at 60,000 miles in my old car. My new car already had them both replaced under warranty so they leaked by 50,000. Both cars 2011 335i. Belt would be fine to around 100k miles if it weren't for the oil leaks.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 03:26 PM   #27
Mean E92
Private First Class
Mean E92's Avatar
34
Rep
198
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW E92 335i
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: San Francisco, California

iTrader: (0)

I had the same issue! It was my OFHG leaking on my belt and pulleys. I left it to squeak for too long and it made the belt slip off and go inside my oil pan which ruined my engine. About 10k$ later I have a used engine installed in my car. Don't waste any time because you might loose your engine. Send your car to a dealer or a trusted indy who can identify what is leaking on your belt and pulleys. The oil makes the bearings on the pulley(s) bad and ruins the quality of your belt. Don't wait to long to figure this out!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 11:28 AM   #28
bjt135psu
New Member
0
Rep
11
Posts

Drives: 2011 335i Coupe MTech
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: San Angelo, TX

iTrader: (0)

thanks - i'll do that this weekend. For $70 and my time i'd rather try this on my own.

i just installed new belt, pulleys and tensioners a few weeks ago, do you think those will be fine? it's mostly been sitting b/c of the coolant leak so they shouldn't have had that much exposure.

Last edited by bjt135psu; 08-21-2017 at 12:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 09:40 AM   #29
lwgrenier
Second Lieutenant
lwgrenier's Avatar
United_States
89
Rep
264
Posts

Drives: 2011 e92 335i XDrive
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: New Hampshire

iTrader: (0)

Does anyone know where a DIY for the belt and tensioners is located?
THanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 09:49 AM   #30
CTinline-six
Winning
CTinline-six's Avatar
United_States
2565
Rep
1,706
Posts

Drives: '09 328i, '13 Jeep GC
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwgrenier View Post
Does anyone know where a DIY for the belt and tensioners is located?
THanks.
There are a few videos on Youtube I saw for a DIY on this.
__________________
Josh
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 01:08 PM   #31
kievlanine@gmail.com
New Member
0
Rep
16
Posts

Drives: E90 335xi
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Ontario

iTrader: (0)

I am having similar issues, I have replaced all belts, due to an oil leak from the oil filter housing gasket.
The squeak went away for a very short while, and returned more or less the same.
I couple of people suggested the crank pulley, and the timing chain while I am at it.
How hard is it to do the timing chain? Lift highly recommended?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 01:27 AM   #32
jan31
First Lieutenant
jan31's Avatar
United_States
32
Rep
325
Posts

Drives: 2014 F32 428I Xdrive (N26)
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: SA, TX

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjt135psu View Post
Found this post and I need some advice. I purchased my '11 335i about 2 months ago and have been fighting the belt squealing most of my ownership. Below is what I have done or experienced in order.

Noticed squealing
Belt Replaced - squealing stopped
Few weeks later - starting squealing again
Replaced both deflection pullys and belt tensionor - squealing continued
Completed water test and squealing paused
Belt Replaced - squealing stopped
Few weeks later - squealing started again
Identified coolant leak and replaced vent line (coolant leaked over belts; cleaned engine bay)

Squealing still continues as I start the car. It's not as loud as or as constant as it was before the tensionor, belt and pulleys were replaced. I've tried turning off the AC and the squealing persists.

What next?
Iím going thru the same, how did you solved this?
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:25 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST