E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement Time

07-19-2019, 01:22 PM   #1
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 06 325i

Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement Time

It's time for my first front brake replacement on my 325i (old car, new to me, lots of mileage!) I searched and read all the discussions regarding pads and rotors, but I found a few other options which haven't been discussed and I'm interested in hearing some other opinions.

My car is a daily driver, ton of stop and go traffic, no track use. I haven't verified anything, but I can only assume my car has OEM rotors and pads based on the excellent initial bite, stopping performance, and the insane amount of brake dust generated. I want to minimize the dust so I'm getting ceramic pads, even if it means I lose a bit of the excellent performance/feel.

FCP euro is the obvious choice; Zimmerman rotors and Meyle ceramic pads. I know there's a lot of love for Akebono pads, but I'm cool with saving $40 for a cheaper pad and from what I can tell the Meyle pads are still a great choice.

Then there's another reputable retailer (not suspicious ebay/amazon sellers with possible counterfeit products) selling Brembo rotors and ceramic pads for a great price. Does anyone here have any experience with this setup on their E90?

This same retailer also has Pagid rotors for the same price as the Brembos. Are there any major differences between Brembo and Pagid rotors? They also have a cheap budget option which I am seriously considering: Power Stop Evolution ceramic pads and Raybestos coated rotors.

I know brake discussions are almost as bad as oil discussions; but I'm just looking to hear some opinions.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 10:03 AM   #2
Volasko
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i BSM 6MT ZSP

Garage List
Did a quick cart for you on rock auto. Love the pads and the pagid rotors are coated in the same coating as OEM. Special mention to the high carbon centric rotors with their black coating (you can go with either). Super cost effective OEM alternative. I use the same pads on my car.

Edit: Did not include any pad sensors
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 12:59 PM   #3
Thorin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e91 6MT ZSP

add in the rotor retaining screws (you will strip them, most likely) and new caliper retaining bolts from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 03:38 PM   #4
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 06 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volasko View Post
Did a quick cart for you on rock auto. Love the pads and the pagid rotors are coated in the same coating as OEM. Special mention to the high carbon centric rotors with their black coating (you can go with either). Super cost effective OEM alternative. I use the same pads on my car.

Edit: Did not include any pad sensors
The link takes me to an empty cart. Those pagid rotors are the ones I was considering. Which pads are you recommending?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 10:48 AM   #5
Volasko
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i BSM 6MT ZSP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
The link takes me to an empty cart. Those pagid rotors are the ones I was considering. Which pads are you recommending?
CENTRIC 50012670 PQ PRO; w/Shims and Hardware

I just came back from my 2nd HPDE with them installed, they are definitely not a track pad but I was very happy to know they would hold up to some intense beatings. No glazing or super fast wear. I had my front rotors up to 600 deg F too!
Appreciate 0