E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement Time



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-19-2019, 02:22 PM   #1
lowrydr310
Robot
139
Rep
474
Posts

Drives: 06 325i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement Time

It's time for my first front brake replacement on my 325i (old car, new to me, lots of mileage!) I searched and read all the discussions regarding pads and rotors, but I found a few other options which haven't been discussed and I'm interested in hearing some other opinions.

My car is a daily driver, ton of stop and go traffic, no track use. I haven't verified anything, but I can only assume my car has OEM rotors and pads based on the excellent initial bite, stopping performance, and the insane amount of brake dust generated. I want to minimize the dust so I'm getting ceramic pads, even if it means I lose a bit of the excellent performance/feel.

FCP euro is the obvious choice; Zimmerman rotors and Meyle ceramic pads. I know there's a lot of love for Akebono pads, but I'm cool with saving $40 for a cheaper pad and from what I can tell the Meyle pads are still a great choice.

Then there's another reputable retailer (not suspicious ebay/amazon sellers with possible counterfeit products) selling Brembo rotors and ceramic pads for a great price. Does anyone here have any experience with this setup on their E90?

This same retailer also has Pagid rotors for the same price as the Brembos. Are there any major differences between Brembo and Pagid rotors? They also have a cheap budget option which I am seriously considering: Power Stop Evolution ceramic pads and Raybestos coated rotors.

I know brake discussions are almost as bad as oil discussions; but I'm just looking to hear some opinions.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 11:03 AM   #2
Volasko
Colonel
Volasko's Avatar
Canada
428
Rep
2,300
Posts

Drives: 2006 E90 330i BSM 6MT ZSP
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Did a quick cart for you on rock auto. Love the pads and the pagid rotors are coated in the same coating as OEM. Special mention to the high carbon centric rotors with their black coating (you can go with either). Super cost effective OEM alternative. I use the same pads on my car.

Edit: Did not include any pad sensors
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 01:59 PM   #3
Thorin
Second Lieutenant
77
Rep
219
Posts

Drives: e91 6MT ZSP
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (0)

add in the rotor retaining screws (you will strip them, most likely) and new caliper retaining bolts from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 04:38 PM   #4
lowrydr310
Robot
139
Rep
474
Posts

Drives: 06 325i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volasko View Post
Did a quick cart for you on rock auto. Love the pads and the pagid rotors are coated in the same coating as OEM. Special mention to the high carbon centric rotors with their black coating (you can go with either). Super cost effective OEM alternative. I use the same pads on my car.

Edit: Did not include any pad sensors
The link takes me to an empty cart. Those pagid rotors are the ones I was considering. Which pads are you recommending?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 11:48 AM   #5
Volasko
Colonel
Volasko's Avatar
Canada
428
Rep
2,300
Posts

Drives: 2006 E90 330i BSM 6MT ZSP
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
The link takes me to an empty cart. Those pagid rotors are the ones I was considering. Which pads are you recommending?
CENTRIC 50012670 PQ PRO; w/Shims and Hardware

I just came back from my 2nd HPDE with them installed, they are definitely not a track pad but I was very happy to know they would hold up to some intense beatings. No glazing or super fast wear. I had my front rotors up to 600 deg F too!

Edit: After my 2nd track session with these pads I definitely hit the limits of what these pads could handle. I glazed my rotors and pads pretty bad and basically used up the rear pads to the backing plates. Good street pads, but not worth burning them up on a track.

Last edited by Volasko; 10-09-2019 at 03:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 03:13 PM   #6
lowrydr310
Robot
139
Rep
474
Posts

Drives: 06 325i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

I installed the Pagid rotors and PQ PRO pads, and so far so good. Upon removal of the old pads, I learned that I had Textar pads so that explains the excellent feel and the insane amount of dust. I'm not sure what rotor was installed but I'm assuming it was either OEM or Zimmermann as it was just marked with numbers and "MADE IN GERMANY."

I was impressed with the quality and packaging of the Pagid rotors, they're shipped upside down with the rotor surface up top and the hat on the bottom of the box, with plenty of cardboard packaging so they don't get banged up. I've never seen a rotor packed this well. They also included a new hex screw to secure the rotor to the hub.

The PQPRO pads look to be high quality, however I'm a bit curious about them. I know they're marketed as the premium Centric product, but they don't mention the material (ceramic vs metallic) anywhere and the only details I could find online are just their own internally generated marketing fluff, such as the "exclusive Mu500 Coating" and "Opti-Check Early Warning System," neither of which have any further explanation. They seem to work very well so far and have a great feel. They don't have that same feel of initial bite that the old Textar pads had which everyone loves, but it's not a scary or unpredictable feeling, it's just slightly different and easy to adjust to.

The only downside is that I'm getting a very slight occasional squaling from the passenger side, but that's due to installation error. This was the first side I replaced and I didn't use as much brake grease on the back of the pads as I used on the drivers side, so I'll be opening it back up. I think instead of grease I might just use anti-squeal compound this time.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 07:44 PM   #7
Rollo`
Lieutenant
35
Rep
434
Posts

Drives: 2009 328i
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: US

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
I installed the Pagid rotors and PQ PRO pads, and so far so good. Upon removal of the old pads, I learned that I had Textar pads so that explains the excellent feel and the insane amount of dust. I'm not sure what rotor was installed but I'm assuming it was either OEM or Zimmermann as it was just marked with numbers and "MADE IN GERMANY."

I was impressed with the quality and packaging of the Pagid rotors, they're shipped upside down with the rotor surface up top and the hat on the bottom of the box, with plenty of cardboard packaging so they don't get banged up. I've never seen a rotor packed this well. They also included a new hex screw to secure the rotor to the hub.

The PQPRO pads look to be high quality, however I'm a bit curious about them. I know they're marketed as the premium Centric product, but they don't mention the material (ceramic vs metallic) anywhere and the only details I could find online are just their own internally generated marketing fluff, such as the "exclusive Mu500 Coating" and "Opti-Check Early Warning System," neither of which have any further explanation. They seem to work very well so far and have a great feel. They don't have that same feel of initial bite that the old Textar pads had which everyone loves, but it's not a scary or unpredictable feeling, it's just slightly different and easy to adjust to.

The only downside is that I'm getting a very slight occasional squaling from the passenger side, but that's due to installation error. This was the first side I replaced and I didn't use as much brake grease on the back of the pads as I used on the drivers side, so I'll be opening it back up. I think instead of grease I might just use anti-squeal compound this time.
So you are using the new red Centric PQ Pro pads? How has the dust been so far? I am very interested in trying these.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 10:59 PM   #8
lowrydr310
Robot
139
Rep
474
Posts

Drives: 06 325i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo` View Post
So you are using the new red Centric PQ Pro pads? How has the dust been so far? I am very interested in trying these.
it's too early to tell as I only have about 200 miles on them so far, they're not even bedded in yet. But the pedal feel and bite is very similar to the Centric Premium Ceramic pads I have on my other car that I installed before they changed the name to the PosiQuiet, which makes me think they're similar. If these PQPRO pads are anything like those premium ceramics then I'll be happy because they have virtually no dust.

That red coating is just sprayed on the surface on the pads, allegedly to help with bedding in. After a 5 mile drive it's gone and they look like regular brake pads.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 01:53 PM   #9
lowrydr310
Robot
139
Rep
474
Posts

Drives: 06 325i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

I have about 1000 miles on these pads now and so far so good. I did some bedding in and they stop and feel great. Pedal feel is very similar to the OEM Textar pads I took off.

They are NOT dust-free, however the dust is significantly less than the Textar pads. There's more dust than what the Centric Premium Ceramics put out on my other car, but the braking feel is much better with these PQPRO pads.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 12:52 PM   #10
JDang
Private
33
Rep
62
Posts

Drives: '07 335i
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Houston / Sugar Land

iTrader: (0)

I just did my front brake pads and rotors.

Zimmerman Rotors $100
Akebono Ceramic Pads $50
Brake Sensor $12
Total : $162

Took me about 25 minutes a corner. This setup is great for a daily driver with minimal dusting. I would advise against Brembo setup since that's more geared towards people that track their cars frequently. I heard they squeak a lot.
__________________
Too much to list.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 02:05 PM   #11
lowrydr310
Robot
139
Rep
474
Posts

Drives: 06 325i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
I have about 1000 miles on these pads now and so far so good. I did some bedding in and they stop and feel great. Pedal feel is very similar to the OEM Textar pads I took off.

They are NOT dust-free, however the dust is significantly less than the Textar pads. There's more dust than what the Centric Premium Ceramics put out on my other car, but the braking feel is much better with these PQPRO pads than the Centric Premiums.
With more miles on them, I take back what I said about the dust. These aren't all that much different than the Textar pads. I'm going with ceramic next time.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 04:11 PM   #12
nyteryda3
Registered
4
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 328i - LCI
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDang View Post
I just did my front brake pads and rotors.

Zimmerman Rotors $100
Akebono Ceramic Pads $50
Brake Sensor $12
Total : $162

Took me about 25 minutes a corner. This setup is great for a daily driver with minimal dusting. I would advise against Brembo setup since that's more geared towards people that track their cars frequently. I heard they squeak a lot.
I actually just got and installed the Brembo kit that OP referenced for my 328i daily. I've used Brembo for my other cars (OEM and BBK) and was always happy with the results so figured for the price of $300 shipped from a reputable/highly rated seller for front and rear Brembo rotors, front and rear brembo pads, and 2 bmw brake sensors. It's only been 1K miles of mainly freeway commuting but braking feels improved, no noise at all, minimal brake dust. I'm happy with the setup so far!
Appreciate 1
      10-12-2019, 12:26 PM   #13
Rollo`
Lieutenant
35
Rep
434
Posts

Drives: 2009 328i
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: US

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
With more miles on them, I take back what I said about the dust. These aren't all that much different than the Textar pads. I'm going with ceramic next time.
well that sucks...I ordered the PQ pro pads last Sunday night. They are semi metallic pads but I will be very disappointed if they dust like OEMs. Maybe I should just return them.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 09:19 PM   #14
Rollo`
Lieutenant
35
Rep
434
Posts

Drives: 2009 328i
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: US

iTrader: (2)

Went ahead and installed the PQ pro's and initial performance seems remarkably close to OEM--which doesn't bode well for brake dust--but I'll report back after a few weeks.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 08:19 PM   #15
Rollo`
Lieutenant
35
Rep
434
Posts

Drives: 2009 328i
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: US

iTrader: (2)

In case anyone is looking for reviews on the Centric Posi-Quiet Pro (PQ Pro). They feel exactly like OEM pads in initial bite and they produce about 90% of the dust of OEM pads.

So, if you are looking for a lower dust alternative, don't trust the generic PQ Pro description about the pads being low dust.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 09:46 PM   #16
colorado.e9x
Entrepreneur
colorado.e9x's Avatar
United_States
223
Rep
776
Posts

Drives: 06 BMW 330xi
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Western Slope, Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Damn
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:54 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST