E90Post
 


European Auto Source (EAS)
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Crank Seal Plate - No more serpentine belt getting eaten?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-31-2019, 10:04 PM   #1
nicky dj
Chelsea Football Club
nicky dj's Avatar
United_States
64
Rep
262
Posts

Drives: E92 N54
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Irvine

iTrader: (0)

Hey guys, wanted any opinions on this. Replacing my serpentine belt and pulleys soon and was curious to any testimonials and functionality of the plate? Looks really legit it the video!

https://www.oxwerkzperformance.com/?...0212a2296b210f

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 11:35 PM   #2
hellokitty
hello kitty oke ??
hellokitty's Avatar
North Korea
846
Rep
1,821
Posts

Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT | '12 335iS DCT
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North Korea

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 BMW 335iS  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky dj View Post
Hey guys, wanted any opinions on this. Replacing my serpentine belt and pulleys soon and was curious to any testimonials and functionality of the plate? Looks really legit it the video!

https://www.oxwerkzperformance.com/?...0212a2296b210f

Looks great. Might do this while I replace my belt as preventative maintenance.
__________________

2012 335iS DCT / MHD / E50 Protune by Wedge / RB 1.75" Inlets / Fuel-It! Stage 2 LPFP / BMS OCC / Mishimoto OCC / Plugged Head Ports / RB PCV / N20 TMAP / VRSF DCI / VRSF 7" FMIC / VRSF DP / ER CP & Tial BOV / Michelin PS4S / PR Coils / NGK 97506 @ .028 gap / M3 Suspension

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 11:43 PM   #3
Rube
Private
33
Rep
97
Posts

Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky dj View Post
Hey guys, wanted any opinions on this. Replacing my serpentine belt and pulleys soon and was curious to any testimonials and functionality of the plate? Looks really legit it the video!

https://www.oxwerkzperformance.com/?...0212a2296b210f

I installed this a few weeks ago for peace of mind. It covers the entire crank seal, I don’t see how any of the belt can get past this. The tolerances are tight, I used a feeler gauge to center it (don’t recall which size). Pretty easy install.
I marked the balancer and kept track of which hole each balancer bolt went so I installed it back exactly as I took it off cause I’m anal like that lol.
Appreciate 1
FCobra942427.50

      06-02-2019, 06:09 PM   #4
Rube
Private
33
Rep
97
Posts

Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Here is a pic of it installed
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 07:41 PM   #5
nicky dj
Chelsea Football Club
nicky dj's Avatar
United_States
64
Rep
262
Posts

Drives: E92 N54
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Irvine

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rube View Post
Here is a pic of it installed
Wow looks awesome and so conforming. What bolt type/size are those underneath? Or do you know the original bolt types to take out?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 07:45 PM   #6
Rube
Private
33
Rep
97
Posts

Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky dj View Post
Wow looks awesome and so conforming. What bolt type/size are those underneath? Or do you know the original bolt types to take out?
I forget the size, it comes with 2 new aluminum bolts.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 04:13 PM   #7
MooreBoost
Stand-up Philosopher
MooreBoost's Avatar
45
Rep
150
Posts

Drives: '10 E90 335i
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Bradenton, Florida

iTrader: (0)

If I'm going to be doing my OFHG and serpentine belt / tensioner / pulley, do you guys think it would be worth the time and money to do this at the same time?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 04:20 PM   #8
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Jeff@TopGearSolutions's Avatar
United_States
3103
Rep
69,485
Posts


Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: www.TopGearSolutions.com

iTrader: (37)

Wouldn't be needed if people maintained their vehicle, just saying. However, I guess if you don't want to maintain it, there is this for added insurance.
__________________
|Like us on Facebook||Evolution Racewerks| |Active Autowerke| |ETS| |Burger Tuning| |PURE Turbos| |Mishimoto||VRSF| |AWE| |Wagner|

|Holiday Savings up to 10% OFF! | |KW| |Spec| |ST Coilovers| |Koni| |Bilstein| |Borla| |Magnaflow| |AFE| |Fabspeed| |Injen| Discounts VRSF ER BM3 CSF Pure & More!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 06:48 PM   #9
Serf27
Second Lieutenant
Serf27's Avatar
United_States
53
Rep
257
Posts

Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: High Desert, CA

iTrader: (0)

$150 seems excessive for it.

I agree with Jeff.

Iíll stick to keeping an eye on the belt and replacing it if it shows any wear or tears.

Would be cool at about 1/3 of the price imo.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 07:50 PM   #10
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
649
Rep
5,242
Posts

Drives: 08 335i,19 X5 35i,14 C63 AMG
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Boston

iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serf27 View Post
$150 seems excessive for it.

I agree with Jeff.

Iíll stick to keeping an eye on the belt and replacing it if it shows any wear or tears.

Would be cool at about 1/3 of the price imo.
Ya agree also, would do it if it was 50 or maybe 75 bucks but I take care of my maint and not too worried about it failing.
__________________
2019 X540i Phytonic Blue M-Sport
2008 E93 335i FBO
2014 Mercedes C63 507 Edition
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 09:27 PM   #11
addictedtoboost
Second Lieutenant
85
Rep
200
Posts

Drives: 2008 335xi E92
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Chicago IL

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky dj View Post
Hey guys, wanted any opinions on this. Replacing my serpentine belt and pulleys soon and was curious to any testimonials and functionality of the plate? Looks really legit it the video!

https://www.oxwerkzperformance.com/?...0212a2296b210f

I bought one and installed it. Saved me 3 separate times of shredding a belt. It did its job by not having belt sucked through front main seal. I highly recommend getting one ASAP. No I did not neglect the maintenance on my car.
Appreciate 1
type-dRew397.50

      07-30-2019, 03:32 AM   #12
streetpro
Private First Class
streetpro's Avatar
Czech_Republic
45
Rep
127
Posts

Drives: e92 335iA
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Prague

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
An alternative could be to cut properly shaped plate and glue it in place...
__________________
"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough.Ē Mario Andretti
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 04:16 AM   #13
mweisdorfer
Brigadier General
mweisdorfer's Avatar
United_States
1084
Rep
4,771
Posts

Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Holly, MI

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
It's a nice added piece of mind. $150.00 is a sticker shock given what you are getting. However, the time it takes to replace the crank seal, oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket, clean out chunks of belt out of the engine, and potentially replace a PS steering pulley engine mounts outweigh the cost of $150.00.

Jeff has a great point. Hey, just pop the hood once in a while and use an LED light to take a look around!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 09:12 AM   #14
TheMidnightNarwhal
Brigadier General
TheMidnightNarwhal's Avatar
Canada
1030
Rep
4,095
Posts

Drives: 2011 335is 6 speed
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Gatineau, Quebec

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Wouldn't be needed if people maintained their vehicle, just saying. However, I guess if you don't want to maintain it, there is this for added insurance.
Hahah this is exactly what I keep telling everyone on the FB groups. And then someone tells me "Oh no your belt can still break if everything is in good condition" and then I ask to show me or link me to some cases but they never do.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 09:13 AM   #15
TheMidnightNarwhal
Brigadier General
TheMidnightNarwhal's Avatar
Canada
1030
Rep
4,095
Posts

Drives: 2011 335is 6 speed
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Gatineau, Quebec

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedtoboost View Post
I bought one and installed it. Saved me 3 separate times of shredding a belt. It did its job by not having belt sucked through front main seal. I highly recommend getting one ASAP. No I did not neglect the maintenance on my car.
How the hell did you belt shred 3 times if your car is in good condition? I want to know how.
Appreciate 1
Jklad384.00

      07-30-2019, 09:52 AM   #16
type-dRew
Captain
type-dRew's Avatar
398
Rep
845
Posts

Drives: 2009 335i xDrive
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Newport MI

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serf27 View Post
$150 seems excessive for it.

I agree with Jeff.

I’ll stick to keeping an eye on the belt and replacing it if it shows any wear or tears.

Would be cool at about 1/3 of the price imo.
$150 is expensive? I dont think ive ever seen cheaper insurance against an engine replacement

This company is probably not going to sell many of these, mostly due to people being (this)cheap. So I think the price point is just enough for them to break even after a while or potentially make some money. Which is good, because we should be happily supporting companies still worried enough about a 14 year old platform to r&d new helpful parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Wouldn't be needed if people maintained their vehicle, just saying. However, I guess if you don't want to maintain it, there is this for added insurance.
People doing preventative maintenance are having new belt kits shred, ill be doing one as extremely cheap insurance against a new motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetpro View Post
An alternative could be to cut properly shaped plate and glue it in place...
this is how desperate people are to be cheap? really?
__________________
2009 335i xDrive AT / 169k+ miles
PSP 750ic / Fuel-It! Stage 1 / BMS CP / XHP w/ Sutphin tuning / MHD w/ RFP E50
11.61 @ 117.5mph via Dragy
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 10:08 AM   #17
TheMidnightNarwhal
Brigadier General
TheMidnightNarwhal's Avatar
Canada
1030
Rep
4,095
Posts

Drives: 2011 335is 6 speed
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Gatineau, Quebec

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by type-dRew View Post
$150 is expensive? I dont think ive ever seen cheaper insurance against an engine replacement

This company is probably not going to sell many of these, mostly due to people being (this)cheap. So I think the price point is just enough for them to break even after a while or potentially make some money. Which is good, because we should be happily supporting companies still worried enough about a 14 year old platform to r&d new helpful parts



People doing preventative maintenance are having new belt kits shred, ill be doing one as extremely cheap insurance against a new motor



this is how desperate people are to be cheap? really?

It's not the fact that the price is 150$, which is probably 200$ in my currency plus another 30$ for shipping. It's the fact that you are paying that much for something that probably won't happen if you maintain your car.

Now if you say that properly maintained car still gets their belt shred I would like to know why or see links because if true then I might consider it.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 10:11 AM   #18
type-dRew
Captain
type-dRew's Avatar
398
Rep
845
Posts

Drives: 2009 335i xDrive
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Newport MI

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
It's not the fact that the price is 150$, which is probably 200$ in my currency plus another 30$ for shipping. It's the fact that you are paying that much for something that probably won't happen if you maintain your car.

Now if you say that properly maintained car still gets their belt shred I would like to know why or see links because if true then I might consider it.
again, the issue is happening to people with fresh belts. To the point ive put off installing a new one because im more concerned with shredding when i do that instead of continuing to use my old but not cracked belt

i dont really care to figure out why or how its happening, its enough of an issue that $150 is a drop in the bucket for insurance against a new engine. i have wasted way more than that on stuff that has way less purpose
__________________
2009 335i xDrive AT / 169k+ miles
PSP 750ic / Fuel-It! Stage 1 / BMS CP / XHP w/ Sutphin tuning / MHD w/ RFP E50
11.61 @ 117.5mph via Dragy
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 10:12 AM   #19
TheMidnightNarwhal
Brigadier General
TheMidnightNarwhal's Avatar
Canada
1030
Rep
4,095
Posts

Drives: 2011 335is 6 speed
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Gatineau, Quebec

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by type-dRew View Post
again, the issue is happening to people with fresh belts. To the point ive put off installing a new one because im more concerned with shredding when i do that instead of continuing to use my old but not cracked belt
Then perhaps it's the way they install it or something. Does it happen right away or after a few miles.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 10:24 AM   #20
addictedtoboost
Second Lieutenant
85
Rep
200
Posts

Drives: 2008 335xi E92
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Chicago IL

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedtoboost View Post
I bought one and installed it. Saved me 3 separate times of shredding a belt. It did its job by not having belt sucked through front main seal. I highly recommend getting one ASAP. No I did not neglect the maintenance on my car.
How the hell did you belt shred 3 times if your car is in good condition? I want to know how.
First time the 2" inlets were making contact with the power steering pulley and ate a belt
At the drag strip. Second time my ac compressor seized up making the belt shred. The third time was because when this mechanic had to drop my subframe to do the oil pan gasket job a second time, he didn't bother to double check his work. I found out the cause was the power steering metal line was kinked and moved over making contact with one of the belt/pully. I make sure to keep the front inlet zip tied to the fan shroud so it won't make any sort of contact.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 10:49 AM   #21
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Jeff@TopGearSolutions's Avatar
United_States
3103
Rep
69,485
Posts


Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: www.TopGearSolutions.com

iTrader: (37)

Quote:
Originally Posted by type-dRew View Post
$150 is expensive? I dont think ive ever seen cheaper insurance against an engine replacement

This company is probably not going to sell many of these, mostly due to people being (this)cheap. So I think the price point is just enough for them to break even after a while or potentially make some money. Which is good, because we should be happily supporting companies still worried enough about a 14 year old platform to r&d new helpful parts



People doing preventative maintenance are having new belt kits shred, ill be doing one as extremely cheap insurance against a new motor



this is how desperate people are to be cheap? really?
If people are doing the required maintenance to avoid the belt shredding, why are they still shredding belts? I'm not trying to be a smart ass, genuinely curious. Just replacing the belt isn't the problem. A few problems that create the belt issues are also worn pulley's, worn motor mounts and other botched up installs in the area like inlets.
__________________
|Like us on Facebook||Evolution Racewerks| |Active Autowerke| |ETS| |Burger Tuning| |PURE Turbos| |Mishimoto||VRSF| |AWE| |Wagner|

|Holiday Savings up to 10% OFF! | |KW| |Spec| |ST Coilovers| |Koni| |Bilstein| |Borla| |Magnaflow| |AFE| |Fabspeed| |Injen| Discounts VRSF ER BM3 CSF Pure & More!
Appreciate 1
Torgus2020.50

      07-30-2019, 11:07 AM   #22
addictedtoboost
Second Lieutenant
85
Rep
200
Posts

Drives: 2008 335xi E92
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Chicago IL

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by type-dRew View Post
$150 is expensive? I dont think ive ever seen cheaper insurance against an engine replacement

This company is probably not going to sell many of these, mostly due to people being (this)cheap. So I think the price point is just enough for them to break even after a while or potentially make some money. Which is good, because we should be happily supporting companies still worried enough about a 14 year old platform to r&d new helpful parts



People doing preventative maintenance are having new belt kits shred, ill be doing one as extremely cheap insurance against a new motor



this is how desperate people are to be cheap? really?
If people are doing the required maintenance to avoid the belt shredding, why are they still shredding belts? I'm not trying to be a smart ass, genuinely curious. Just replacing the belt isn't the problem. A few problems that create the belt issues are also worn pulley's, worn motor mounts and other botched up installs in the area like inlets.
I've replaced all my rollers and tensioner/belts 4 different times now within a months time. New motor mounts, ac compressor, alternator. Hopefully I won't be shredding anymore belts anymore! +1 for crank seal plate it does exactly what it's supposed to do, protect.
Appreciate 1
type-dRew397.50

Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:54 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST