E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2008 328i Vibration under acceleration

07-19-2019, 06:47 AM   #23
Efthreeoh
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
Vibration just under acceleration is almost always an issue with the drivetrain, such as a worn flex disc (giubo), worn center support bearing, worn u-joints, or worn axles. How exactly did you check the giubo and center support bearing? Was it just visual? To properly check the center support bearing and see if the rubber is still good, you'd have to remove the exhaust. While you're in there it might be worth removing the driveshaft completely too and confirming that the u-joints are still good and are not sloppy or binding.

Efthreeoh had an old post I found while searching driveline issues; if I remember correctly he ended up replacing the driveshaft and still had the vibration, later finding out that it was the dual mass flywheel causing the issue. But that's only for the manual transmission.
Let me clarify... you are remembering correctly, but slightly out of order. I chased two separate drivetrain vibration issues at two separate times and pretty far apart in mileage.

The first was a high RPM vibration (5,000 to 6,000 rpm), which eventually traced to the flywheel. In chasing the vibration, which started just before 241,000, I started with the driveshaft center bearing and guibo. That didn't fix it. I next replaced the harmonic balancer; again, not the solution. I replaced the rear trans mounts and... nope not it either. I finally discovered through internet research, the dual-mass flywheel can break. At 293,000 I replaced the clutch and flywheel, which solved the vibration problem. IMO people replace bushing on these cars way too early. The guibo and trans mounts were still in good shape when I replaced them.

The second vibration issue came up at 324,000 miles. It was a high road speed humming noise felt in the center of the car mostly and it was speed dependent rather than RPM dependent. I started chasing this one from the outside in with replacement of the rear wheel bearings first. That didn't solve it, so I figured with the high mileage, the differential was finally toast. I found a good used unit from a 138i (IIRC) with just 42,000 miles on it. I swapped the diff in and still had the vibration. While the diff was out I looked at the driveshaft and it seemed the center bearing was moving around in its mount. Once the diff was in and didn't solve the problem, I figured the driveshaft was the only thing left. At the high miles I decided that just replacing the center bearing again was at some risk since the u-joints could be suspect as well. A rebuilt driveshaft is only about $90 more than the part cost of the center bearing, so I just replaced the entire driveshaft. The car has been smooth as silk since. Replacing the driveshaft center bearing is not an easy task. Special tools are needed to remove and install it. It presses on the shaft. I don't have a press so I improvised, which probably slightly damaged the bearing when I installed it at 241,000 miles.

I just wanted to clarify because chasing driveline vibrations in these cars can be frustrating. Road speed related vibrations are wheel, bearings, or driveshaft related. RPM related vibrations are flywheel (high rpm) or possibly engine mount related (low speed).

I now have a diff that I may have rebuilt and converted to a 3.73 limited slip
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 07-19-2019 at 06:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 10:15 AM   #24
LUIZ_1312
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 328i E90

Garage List
2009 328i  [0.00]
i removed the driveshaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
Vibration just under acceleration is almost always an issue with the drivetrain, such as a worn flex disc (giubo), worn center support bearing, worn u-joints, or worn axles. How exactly did you check the giubo and center support bearing? Was it just visual? To properly check the center support bearing and see if the rubber is still good, you'd have to remove the exhaust. While you're in there it might be worth removing the driveshaft completely too and confirming that the u-joints are still good and are not sloppy or binding.

Efthreeoh had an old post I found while searching driveline issues; if I remember correctly he ended up replacing the driveshaft and still had the vibration, later finding out that it was the dual mass flywheel causing the issue. But that's only for the manual transmission.
lowrydr310 i removed the drive shaft and quibo. there in good condition also the center support. ive been driving around in the car and like you had mentioned it only does the vibration when in 2nd-3rd gear @ 40 to 60 mph, but when im using the manual mode it barly vibrates, I've looked online and found somthing about the Vibration damper/absorber that sits at the far end of the driveshaft. i aslo noticed that when it vibrates i start to feel it in the front and then as i keep driving i feel it in the back idk its starting to become a pain...that last sentence sounds soo wrong jajaja
Appreciate 0