E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E92 N43 Burning Oil?

03-30-2019, 10:13 AM   #1
b34thomas
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 2010 320I

E92 N43 Burning Oil?

Hi all,

Hope everyone's enjoying the momentary sun!

My 2010 E92 (N43, 2.0L) recently went in for a recall for the brake vacuum diagnostics, heater blower and battery cable. When in for the recalls the garage said the car needed a new timing chain (which was covered under the recall by BMW) and a new vacuum pump as old one was leaking (paid by myself), so had both of those done.

The car has also had a new set of injectors & a new thermostat in the past 6 months or so (not sure if relevant).

1-2 weeks after the recall I was driving and the red oil warning light came on - checked the oil level via the screen and showed half full (was 100% full when the car came back from the recalls). Phoned the garage and they recovered the car (when I say recovered, they sent someone to come and drive the car back, they didn't put it on a flatbed...).

Get a call after a few days saying everything is fine with the oil pressure and the only thing it could be is the oil level sensor, so forked out £260 to have that swapped out. All seemed fine with the car but after a couple days driving the oil level had dropped to half from full again (only did about 100 miles) and a whole bunch of fault codes have come up;

30E9 - Nitrogen-oxide catalytic converter, ageing
30EA - DeNox catalytic converter, sulphurized
30C1 - Engine-oil pressure control, static
2AF9 - Nitrogen oxide sensor, NOx signal: coast-mode check
2AF4 - Nitrogen oxide sensor, electric
2AF2 - Nitrogen oxide sensor, lambda linear
2AF6 - Nitrogen oxide sensor, lambda binary

The oil level has been dropping slowly so can't see it being a fault with the new sensor (would expect that to give more random results?), also to give a bit of background I have never needed to add a drop of oil to this car (although its obviously had top ups when being serviced etc) prior to the recalls being carried out.

Obviously most of the above codes look NOx related, but does anyone has any ideas as to what could've caused this sudden onset of oil burning? Wondering if the NOx issues/codes have been caused by the oil problem, or vice versa (if that's even possible).

Any advice would be much appreciated. Car is going back into dealership on Monday, although they're already saying that its likely a coincidence it started burning oil the day after the recall work/timing chain/vacuum pump was done...

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 07:26 PM   #2
N52bigblock
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2005 E90 330i

Valve stem seals are common issue on the BMW 4 cylinder engines, even at low miles. The proper way to do a oil consumption test is to drain the oil and measure excactly how much is in the engine. Then refill it with the correct amount. Then do say 500 or 1000 miles, drain the oil again and measure how much it has used.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 11:33 AM   #3
N43B20A
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 318i N43B20A

Quote:
Originally Posted by b34thomas View Post
Hi all,

Hope everyone's enjoying the momentary sun!

My 2010 E92 (N43, 2.0L) recently went in for a recall for the brake vacuum diagnostics, heater blower and battery cable. When in for the recalls the garage said the car needed a new timing chain (which was covered under the recall by BMW) and a new vacuum pump as old one was leaking (paid by myself), so had both of those done.

The car has also had a new set of injectors & a new thermostat in the past 6 months or so (not sure if relevant).

Cheers!
Hi,

Did you manage to solve your problem?
Appreciate 0