E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Need Advice - Oil leaking (Photos Included)

09-23-2021, 08:22 PM   #1
n0ah305
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Need Advice - Oil leaking (Photos Included)

I recently bought a 335i e90 128k miles and the seller told me the car had no oil leaks.. only issue was Fuel Injectors (supposedly)... Besides the 99 other codes I get on the dash... I would like to figure out this oil leak that is causing major puddles and I don't want to run the car dry.. I changed the Fuel Injectors with Index 12s and then I did an Oil Change with Moly Gen Oil.

As soon as I did the oil change and started driving the car I started to notice the oil puddle in my drive way. I don't see any oil leaks on top from the Valve Cover or from the oil filter. The Oil Pan also looks fairly clean. The oil seems to drip mainly from the downpipes on the passenger side of the car . The owner said he only had the car for 7 months and didn't do any maintenance except for new turbos. To me it looks like it's coming from the turbo seals but the car doesn't smoke at all.

Any ideas ? Should I just drop the sub frame? I've never done it before I just don't have the money to be paying for labor. I thought the Injectors would be my only issue .. Any advice on what or how to handle this leak?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 08:54 PM   #2
RayLivingston
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Sedan

Unfortunately, that looks to me like a leak from one of the turbos. Common oil leaks are valve cover, oil pan, oil filter housing, and turbos. Yours does not appear to be leaking from the valve cover. Oil filter is way up front, so that is out. From the photos, it does not appear to be oil pan (and I JUST finished replacing mine a few hours ago), as that would not hit the headers. That leaves turbo as the most likely candidate. Not an easy, or cheap, repair. For your sake, I hope I'm wrong.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 09:54 PM   #3
n0ah305
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayLivingston View Post
Unfortunately, that looks to me like a leak from one of the turbos. Common oil leaks are valve cover, oil pan, oil filter housing, and turbos. Yours does not appear to be leaking from the valve cover. Oil filter is way up front, so that is out. From the photos, it does not appear to be oil pan (and I JUST finished replacing mine a few hours ago), as that would not hit the headers. That leaves turbo as the most likely candidate. Not an easy, or cheap, repair. For your sake, I hope I'm wrong.
Quote:
Hey Ray, no I think you're right. That is what I was thinking as well. Thank you for giving me your second opinion. I thought it was turbos because of where the oil is coming from and the oil pan doesn't seem oily . Also the previous owner had rebuilt the turbos right before selling it to me. So I guess the question is .. Would I need new turbos to stop the leak or can I just replace the turbo seal that connects to the Downpipes? I heard these don't usually go bad because they are metal but they can like all seals cause oil leaks. Another thing to consider is that the Exhaust does not smoke? So not sure what that mean. Maybe it's the oil line to the turbos? Maybe I should just change the oil & coolant lines to the turbos ?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 12:46 AM   #4
RayLivingston
Lieutenant
Rep

You have to get in there to see WHERE it's actually leaking. Hope for it being one of the oil feed or return lines - those are reasonably inexpensive. Check the for cracks. If the turbos are new, they should be fine. Either way, you need too drop the subframe to get to it, and to be able to see what is going on.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 03:51 PM   #5
n0ah305
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
You have to get in there to see WHERE it's actually leaking. Hope for it being one of the oil feed or return lines - those are reasonably inexpensive. Check the for cracks. If the turbos are new, they should be fine. Either way, you need too drop the subframe to get to it, and to be able to see what is going on.
Quote:
I bought a $17 boroscope on amazon I'm hoping with the micro camera I can see where exactly the oil is leaking from . Because if it's a cracked Turbo😅 I'm in luck .
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 01:11 AM   #6
RayLivingston
Lieutenant
Rep

I will wish you very good luck, and will be interested to hear what you find.

We just traded our 335i, so I no longer need to worry about possible turbo problems and oil leaks! :-)
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 12:58 PM   #7
mainbearing
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Just watched the ECS video on changing turbos. Holy mackerel! That made my N51 oil pan gasket job look like a cake walk. I am glad we did not pick out the 335i over the 328i, even though we got the GM transmission with the 328i.

Typical BMW engine leaks plus what troubles turbos give you just are not worth it. And that is not talking about problem injectors up to Index 12 (and maybe more) already. Audi's 3.0T supercharged engine (similar in power to N55) is just so much better and the design so elegant.

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 12:59 PM   #8
mainbearing
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Is that the one you just did the oil pan gasket on? Good riddance!

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1860507

Quote:
I will wish you very good luck, and will be interested to hear what you find.

We just traded our 335i, so I no longer need to worry about possible turbo problems and oil leaks! :-)
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 02:55 PM   #9
RayLivingston
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainbearing View Post
Is that the one you just did the oil pan gasket on? Good riddance!

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1860507
Yes, it is. Traded it in at CarMax, and was very pleased with what they gave us. Still have the E46 325i, but our "new" car is a VERY low miles 2019 Hyundai Ioniq hybrid, which gave us over 50 MPG on the drive home! Doesn't have the get-up-and-go of the 335i, but I should not have to work on it, other than oil changes, for many years.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2021, 08:24 PM   #10
fastboatster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainbearing View Post
Audi's 3.0T supercharged engine (similar in power to N55) is just so much better and the design so elegant.

You’ll curse that “elegance” when cats will go bad which they often do on stock tune. 4 timing chains in the back are stopping by to say hi as well) I could name a few more issues with that overhyped pos, but won’t bother. For my money, n55 from the f series all the way. Or an n54 which are still lunch money
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 02:43 PM   #11
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

There's a reason why n54 335i can be had for 328i or sometimes cheaper money. The n55 retains its value better.
Appreciate 0