E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Ok what type of cable do I need exactly?

08-21-2018, 10:01 PM   #1
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Ok what type of cable do I need exactly?

My car is 2011 335is . I read that a normal K+DCAN cable won't do and you need some special cable and to solder to? I bought this cheap chineese cable and I'm looking at getting a quality one for when I will run the MHD tune.

Right now with my cable I'm able to read INPA codes from function modules but not able to go specifically into airbag modules, and I think it might be because of my cable?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 01:30 AM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
My car is 2011 335is . I read that a normal K+DCAN cable won't do and you need some special cable and to solder to? I bought this cheap chineese cable and I'm looking at getting a quality one for when I will run the MHD tune. Right now with my cable I'm able to read INPA codes from function modules but not able to go specifically into airbag modules, and I think it might be because of my cable?
An OLD-style Cable that works on E46 or E39 (without a slide switch) "won't do" -- will NOT connect to E9x. I don't understand what you mean "to solder to." If you mean you need to bridge two pins, if you get a cable with a slide switch like the BimmerGeeks Cable (link below) it can connect to older chassis such as E46 or E39 with slide in left position (Double K-line Support), or E9x with slide in Right position. I'm no expert on cables, but these guys are -- read the details at bottom of linked page. Their cable works fine on my E91 with INPA:
https://www.bimmergeeks.net/product-...eeks-pro-cable

You say you are able to read codes "from function modules" -- do you mean that you are able to read codes in ALL modules by selecting "Functional Jobs" in the Right List Box? If so, that indicates the cable is working. If there are then certain Modules you are unable to connect to, your INPA installation, Datens files, are probably lacking certain files for that specific Module.

Can you connect to the DME, either N55 or N54 (don't know which engine you have in your 2011)? Once connected, can you see various F5 (Status) screens with both digital readout, and Analog bar graphs? If so, then your cable is working OK.

Not sure what you mean by "Airbag Modules." On my 2007, the MRS5 Module, or Multiple Restraint System Module is what I connect to if I want to see any faults in the system, or to see Status (F5) of Air Bags, Belts, Crash Sensors, Switches, Seat Occupancy Sensor, etc. There are NO
Activations/Steurn (F6) available in the MRS module.

In my installation of INPA, connected to my 2007 E91, to connect to MRS5, I select "Body/Karosserie" in Left listbox, and then Tab to Right Listbox where I select "Airbag MRS5" and I then see the Main Menu or Hauptmenu.

Please (1) List several of the modules you CAN connect to (DME, CAS, FRM, KOMBI, etc.), (2) List any Module in the Right Listbox of Body/Karosserie that looks like it may be related to the Airbag or Crash Safety Module, and try to connect to it. Save a screen print of any error message that appears if you are NOT able to connect and get a Main Menu, and then attach a jpg of that screen print to a post here.

Someone can hopefully identify your problem without guessing. If you get a message that says can't find a certain module (such as FRM 87) but found FRM 70, that is telling you the listbox item you selected is NOT the correct module for your vehicle, and either your installation is lacking the correct module selection, or you selected the wrong alternative. It would be helpful if you indicated what site you downloaded your BMW Standard Tools from.

Also, if you can open Functional Jobs, in the Functional Jobs Main Menu (Hauptmenu), select F2 (Identification) and you will/should get a list of ALL Modules in your vehicle. Save a copy (PrintScreen) of that screen for future reference, as it contains the address and Abbreviated Name of all modules, along with other info such as SGBD, part# (teilenummer), supplier (Leiferant) & full name of module. That list will give you some clues as to what listbox to select to connect to each module, but you will also have to experiment a bit and make notes of exactly which item to select in listbox.

Please let us know what you find,
George
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 10:08 AM   #3
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3

Get the bimmergeeks pro cable, never had any issues with it.. Well worth the price.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 01:24 PM   #4
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Bimmergeeks.net or TopGearSolutions have quality, guaranteed cables.
      09-07-2018, 01:39 PM   #5
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB335IS View Post
Bimmergeeks.net or TopGearSolutions have quality, guaranteed cables.
I concur with this.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2018, 09:20 PM   #6
colorado.e9x
eBay Special
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [9.50]
2006 BMW 330xi  [10.00]
I got a $15 dollar one from Aliexpress that looks and works the exact same as the Bimmergeeks Pro Cable